shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion with Oal side stones - is it doable?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
I recent bought a pair of inexpensive blue zircons in oval shape, and a cushion cut aquamarine that is very faint blue. Then it just came upon on me ''is it doable to mount the three as a 3-stone ring?'' The aqua has the baby blue but very nicely cut. The zircon has good oval cut, light to medium blue with a faint green hue.

The question is:

1. Can the three go together?
2. If yes, how should the ovals be oriented - see pictures.
3. Continue the yes, do you know any 3-stone mounting that might fit these? I don''t want to spend too much on customize it.

The measurements are: Aqua = 2.27ct, 9.2 x 6.6mm, Zircons 2.64ct total, 7x5.2mm each.

Feel free to say it if you think this is a bad idea!
4.gif

DSC_0005.JPG

BWise

Brilliant_Rock

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Oval East West

DSC_4.JPG

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I think not just the tones of color, but also the levels of transparency are too different to make this a single piece of jewellery. Blue zircons are crispy clear, for which they are known in terms of clarity. Your aqua, however, doesen''t have that quality and has eye-visible inclusions. Eventhough they''re small, they can still be seen and they diminish from the stone''s transparency, so I think you should set the aqua by itself (or maybe with some moonstones, or something) and make earrings out of zircons for example. Zircons are also somewhat easy to chip, so work much better in earrings or pendants.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colour and shape wise, the two seem to be "fighting" each other.
The ovals are a soft round shape while the cushion is quite angular.
Colour wise, the zircons are a sparkley deep blue while the aqua is very light toned with a subdued sparkle (due to the difference in reflective index).
Also, with such an unsual combination and size, there will not be a standard 3 stone setting for it. You''ll have to go custom.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
ma re and chrono, thanks much for your advice. I will go separately on them - aqua a ring, and zircons on the ears. Until I have the money, that is...
14.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t mind the color combo of the light blue aqua with the dark blue zircons, even if the RI''s are different. People surround colored gems night and day with diamonds, and the higher RI of the diamonds do nothing but enhance the centers they surround. I think the shapes collide more than anything else. I rather see your cushion aqua with trilliant blue zircons.
31.gif

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 1:46:54 PM
Author: Chrono
Colour wise, the zircons are a sparkley deep blue while the aqua is very light toned with a subdued sparkle (due to the difference in reflective index).
And the style of cutting. And the tone of color. It all makes a difference.

TL, I agree that people surround colored stones with diamonds all the time, but rarely they do so with dark blue diamonds
9.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sometimes see aquas surrounded by dark blue sapphires, and I think the combination is attractive. However, wouldn''t it be nice to be able to surround a gem with natural blue diamonds!! I don''t know about you Mr. Ma Rae, but I would love to see that!!
31.gif

Yingh,
Thanks again for showing the picture of the aqua with the blue zircons. Are you still contemplating putting any side stones with the aqua?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results