shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion vs Round

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lizzy112

Rough_Rock
Hello all.

I''m new to pricescope but have been perusing all your beautiful rings for a month or so. I''m trying to decide on a cushion cut or a round cut for an engagement ring. I''d like a thin 2mm (max) band with either pave or baguettes on the side. The diamond will likely be around 1 ct. Can you help me decide? I''d like to see pictures of any rings similar to what I described.

Thanks!

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
My vote is for a cushion! (though I may be biased!) Cushions and rounds have very different looks IMO, I love the chunky cushion facets and the shape of cushions. I also love that not too many people have them. Have you tried on rings with rounds and cushions? Should help in your decision making. FYI, i knew i wanted a cushion without ever seeing one in person! The beautiful pics on pricescope were enough for me, and I do not regret my decision!

pauly1

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I think I would be a bit hypocrictal if I voted for round.
1.gif
I agree with DMB, round stones are beatiful and classic but I like the originality of cushions. I also love the fact that you can have two cushions side by side with the same facet plot and they can look totally different. If you decide on a cushion, don''t make it the slightest bit complicated, just call Mark at ERD!

A few pictures of my stone: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-cushion-with-setting-to-follow-shortly.73335/

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I love both shapes. But I believe that it is really whatever looks best on your finger! If you have long, slender, fingers...you might love the way a cushion looks over a round...but then again vice versa...I think you need to visit a jeweller and have a fun day just trying on different diamonds!

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/14/2008 5:16:33 PM
Author: DMBsGirl
My vote is for a cushion! (though I may be biased!) Cushions and rounds have very different looks IMO, I love the chunky cushion facets and the shape of cushions. I also love that not too many people have them. Have you tried on rings with rounds and cushions? Should help in your decision making. FYI, i knew i wanted a cushion without ever seeing one in person! The beautiful pics on pricescope were enough for me, and I do not regret my decision!
I would vote for cushion too! And it''s funny this quote: "i knew i wanted a cushion without ever seeing one in person! The beautiful pics on pricescope were enough for me...!" I also am voting without having seen many in person. If they are as pretty in person as on PS, I love ''em. I have a RB.

designchica

Shiny_Rock
I love cushion!! I will probably be getting a round one which is also lovely and I told my bf last year before I knew much about the types of diamonds available that I wanted a round. If I would have known about cushions at the time, I might have asked for that instead. They are so adorable! but so are round. You can''t go wrong with either!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
When I see a cushion I actually think of a pillow cushion. Which is comfortable and reassuring-cushy. Silly I am sure as a cushion is nothing close to a conservative traditional shape. But that is what I think. I adore the cushion in all settings. But I seem to fall harder for them with a string of stones in a pave halo (ala DMB's yummy morsel
30.gif
) or some creative three stone with half moons etc. I also think a cushion offers more finger coverage and with added stones can really knock your socks off (neat freaks ritani made me loose my socks).

I have wanted to ask cushion owners if they spend most of their time correcting comments or explaining what shape it is. And if that bothers them. Of course if the outside world were like PS...you would have no one unaware of the shape.

There was a survey online that matched your personality with the shape of diamond. I was a round and a cushion I think. And that is my order of wish list. I do like the classic dependability of a round...(but I have this fear of wrong choices and usually go with the safe choice-that may be why I lean towards the round.) Round with baguettes you mentioned...is a classic time tested match. In that style a round is really complimented-and you can gain finger coverage with that threesome too.

Which one makes you heart go pitter patter? If round is just so so...than go with the cushy one. §

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
I love rounds for their classic beauty, however, having been introduced to cushions ... they are sumptuous and I find the faceting mesmerizing. If I had known about that shape prior to going round, I would have been in your situation.

Missrocks

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto for the cushions! I just love the unique shape, its like each one has its own "personality". However, if you are comparing the two shapes next to eachother, the 1ct round will probably look bigger, as cushions are cut slightly deeper. ..if size is an issue to you. Daniel K has some of the prettiest cushion brilliants I''ve seen, they are super bright, EX / EX polish, sym.. Alot of PS''ers have some gorgeous antique cushions posted on here as well. And I agree with Doorknob, halos and half moons as accents make me swoon!

Y

ydiamonds

Definitely cushion over round. When I was first looking for a ring, I had narrowed it down to the cushion and the radiant cuts. I didn''t want a RB because it was so common, and I prefer a more rectangular shape. Then I read somewhere that cushion is an old cut, and if I remember correctly, also known as the candlelight cut, whereas radiant is associated more with a spontaneous, vibrant personality. That did it for me. I thought the radiant description was perfect and now I just love my radiant (also in a 2mm band).

danda

Rough_Rock
I love round brilliant b/c it is classic, but it is obviously up to you!!! Pick what makes you happiest!
Here is my 1.02 ct in a 1 ct. memoire purity 999 setting:

ajmem4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results