shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion versus round, GIA versus EGL-USA…looking for opinions please!

cinnamon49

Rough_Rock
We went ring shopping with Ascot Diamonds yesterday and narrowed down the choices to round or cushion (not crushed ice kind). I felt they were pretty informative regarding the GIA versus EGL ratings (they sell both of these as well as AGS). My struggle is: I like the look of a cushion but know they can appear smaller and show color more than RB. We are looking at natural diamonds between 2.5-3 carats, no less than H, probably in a VS1 range. If I were to lean toward cushion, where do you think I should fall in color to feel confident it will be ‘white’ and carat weight to be close to a 2.5-2.75c RB?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't ever buy an EGL stone if I wanted to be confident about color and clarity. I always assume EGL is 1-2 grades "softer" on both color and clarity than GIA or AGS.

In terms of relative size, try using diamdb. You can enter sizes of cushions and rounds and see the relative difference between them. A lot will depend on the cutting of the cushion (e.g. how deep it is). Some look tiny for their weight due to depth, so enter in the actual measurements from certificates.

cinnamon49

Rough_Rock
I wouldn't ever buy an EGL stone if I wanted to be confident about color and clarity. I always assume EGL is 1-2 grades "softer" on both color and clarity than GIA or AGS.

In terms of relative size, try using diamdb. You can enter sizes of cushions and rounds and see the relative difference between them. A lot will depend on the cutting of the cushion (e.g. how deep it is). Some look tiny for their weight due to depth, so enter in the actual measurements from certificates.

Thank you so much! I was worried I was having an irrational fear of anything non-GIA. I will take a look at diamdb-appreciate it!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much! I was worried I was having an irrational fear of anything non-GIA. I will take a look at diamdb-appreciate it!

AGS, GIA, and HRD are all considered valid. EGL is pretty crappy at grading overall

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results