shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion versus Asscher

isabetta

Rough_Rock
I love both cushion cuts and asscher cuts. I was dead set on getting a cushion cut ring for my engagement, but I'm having a hard time finding a cushion that I absolutely love within our price range for an engagement ring. I love the cushions with bigger facets. I'm having a hard time finding a vintage cut cushion around the 1.20 to 1.3 that has pretty good specs range that is within my boyfriends price range ($10,000 including setting). Everything seems to be around 1 (or less than 1) or just way too big and expensive, or the diamond has the crushed ice look, which I'm not a big fan of. I'm starting to get frustrated with the cushion cut search.

I also love the way an asscher solitaire looks. I have found a couple that are in my boyfriends price range, with good specs and around the 1.5 size.

What are the pros and cons of cushion cuts and asscher cuts??? I am planning on getting a solitaire ring. For some reason, I hear many more cushion cut lovers, so I think I'm anchored towards cushion cuts. Any pros for asschers? Any asscher lovers out there?

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I think they are very different looks. Totally different to be honest.
Here are some cushions you might be interested in:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8204/
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/7958/

This one is almost at budget but if you get a simple solitaire (from the same vendor) they will probably be able to end up right around your budget for the total ring, it's also a bit larger- I used them for my (non-cushion) ring and have been extremely satisfied:
http://engagementringsdirect.com/DiamondCushionDetails.aspx?Item=62

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hold out for what you really want or you'll regret it. There are many asscher fans here, myself included. If it's any consolation, a great asscher is very difficult to find as well. Have you checked w/ Mark @ ERD for your cushion? He has a knack for finding beautiful ones.

Have you tried on each to see what you like on your hand?

As for pros/cons, it's so personal. Some people don't get the sparkle they crave from an asscher, some say they show smudges/look dirty too easily. For me, I love the cut and these things don't scare me away. The spread of 1.2 asscher is likely smaller than a 1.2 cushion, if that is important to you. <- n/m I see you're looking for a 1.5 asscher.

Good luck!

I found this out there- 1.48 F SI1 (they say it's eyeclean) for $8200.

1.48 F SI1.jpeg

the_mad_genius

Rough_Rock
I was in the same boat, trying to decide between a cushion and an asscher. I eventually decided to go with a cushion for two reasons. First, they simply seem to sparkle more. A cushion is a brilliant cut while the asscher is a step cut, different animals. Secondly, it seemed to me like you get more "visible" diamond for your money with a cushion. They say that an asscher "faces up" smaller than a cushion for the same carat weight (ie less surface area of diamond is visible from the top looking down once it's mounted). I figured that if I was going to spend all of this money for a diamond it should probably look like it.

That said, I certainly agree that if you're going for a more classic look then both the asscher and the antique "chunky" cushions look great. At the end of the day, you have to go with what's best for you. I took my lady around to look at rings. While she was looking at stones I was watching her eyes. When you see something that makes your eyes light up then that's what to go for imho.

isabetta

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your responses! I definitely think you get a bit more sparkle out of the cushion.

nfowife: Those were the exact three cushions I've been looking at! :D My boyfriend isn't purchasing until late September, so I'm just worried that those 3 diamonds will be snatched up by then. Since I haven't been able to find anymore than that, I'm afraid there won't be anything I want when my boyfriend plans on purchasing.

I actually have only tried on asscher solitaires. I really do love the way they look. I've tried on cushion halos and paves, but I don't remember what type of cut they were. I tried these on when we weren't seriously looking. I am actually looking at cushion solitaires this weekend, so who knows..maybe I will change my mind. Also, oneam...there is something so classy about an asscher. Maybe I should just leave it up to the boyfriend to choose!!!

isabetta

Rough_Rock
Oneam, where is that cushion from? thanks again!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asschers face up small so you may want a big one.
Asschers show body color more so you may want a colorless one.
Asschers show inclusions more so you may want a high clarity one.
Asscher's appealing hall of windows effect is not as noticeable in small ones so you may want a big one.

All this add up to make Asschers an expensive cut (hard to evaluate for cut too) so if you like cushion just as much I'd get a cushion.
Frankly I'd get an August Vintage Cushion from Good Old Gold in a nice warm color.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
don't settle- definitely wait for "the one".

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
isabetta|1312487309|2984242 said:
I love both cushion cuts and asscher cuts. I was dead set on getting a cushion cut ring for my engagement, but I'm having a hard time finding a cushion that I absolutely love within our price range for an engagement ring. I love the cushions with bigger facets. I'm having a hard time finding a vintage cut cushion around the 1.20 to 1.3 that has pretty good specs range that is within my boyfriends price range ($10,000 including setting). Everything seems to be around 1 (or less than 1) or just way too big and expensive, or the diamond has the crushed ice look, which I'm not a big fan of. I'm starting to get frustrated with the cushion cut search.

I also love the way an asscher solitaire looks. I have found a couple that are in my boyfriends price range, with good specs and around the 1.5 size.

What are the pros and cons of cushion cuts and asscher cuts??? I am planning on getting a solitaire ring. For some reason, I hear many more cushion cut lovers, so I think I'm anchored towards cushion cuts. Any pros for asschers? Any asscher lovers out there?

Seems that you're finding it difficult to find a cushion according to your preferences...it's my understanding that asschers can be just as challenging!!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
isabetta|1312494346|2984350 said:
Thanks for your responses! I definitely think you get a bit more sparkle out of the cushion.

nfowife: Those were the exact three cushions I've been looking at! :D My boyfriend isn't purchasing until late September, so I'm just worried that those 3 diamonds will be snatched up by then. Since I haven't been able to find anymore than that, I'm afraid there won't be anything I want when my boyfriend plans on purchasing.

I actually have only tried on asscher solitaires. I really do love the way they look. I've tried on cushion halos and paves, but I don't remember what type of cut they were. I tried these on when we weren't seriously looking. I am actually looking at cushion solitaires this weekend, so who knows..maybe I will change my mind. Also, oneam...there is something so classy about an asscher. Maybe I should just leave it up to the boyfriend to choose!!!
HI Isabetta,
When folks are shopping I always ask when they want to purchase- here's why: Say they find a diamond that's perfect for them- but they're not ready to buy for a few months.
If that perfect" stone is sold, it will make it very difficult to find a new one that matches up to the memory of the stone that's gone.
Once you're ready to purchase, ask your dealer to find candidates.
If you put your effort now into choosing a dealer, that should be a great help once you're ready to purchase- or even to suggest to your boyfriend who to shop with.

You've asked for pros and cons- but all you'll get is people's opinions- and you may very well have a different opinion.
Although many Asscher cuts face up smaller, by no means all Asscher cuts.
I have seen many great looking Asscher cuts in the J-K-L range that face up white to many onlookers.
I've seen Asscher Cut I1 stones that were totally eye clean.

The point is, if you choose your dealer- and discuss your wants with them, that might be the best way to find a specific cushion, or Asscher that meets your expectations.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results