shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Stats...fair price?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CushionShopper

Rough_Rock
I''ve been looking at a number of modified cushion brilliants and have settled (at least for now) on a stone with the following stats:

2.16 carat
G color
SI 1
1.02 Length to width ratio
Depth: 69
Table 68
Flourescence: none
Girdle: Thick
Culet: none

The price is around $16K from a dealer with a family connection. I know that some here feel that a table of 68 is too high, but for some reason this particular diamond has more fire than most of the others I''ve seen, even at higher price points. Can anyone tell me a ballpark estimate of what this diamond might cost in a typical retail store? Thanks in advance.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
table is pretty large...

do you have any images?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you checked out the stone AWAY from the jewellery store lighting? Those lights can even make poorly cut diamonds sparkle like crazy.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Usually, family connections don''t net you a much better price than online, if at all. And very often, people get screwed so I would be very careful. I would actually use the search button above under PRICES to look at what similar stones cost online. Because that''s your best deal, NOT in a B&M store.

CushionShopper

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately, this site won''t allow me to upload anything bigger than 100kb, so I''m out of luck. I''m not sure how to get it to upload.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 3:54:24 PM
Author: CushionShopper
Unfortunately, this site won''t allow me to upload anything bigger than 100kb, so I''m out of luck. I''m not sure how to get it to upload.

Just make the image smaller in your photo program...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 3:54:24 PM
message admin and email it to him, Andrey can post it here for you.

NoVa Tiger

Rough_Rock
First post here. I have been lurking for a few weeks, and after shopping this weekend my girlfriend and I are finally starting to get a feel for what she wants.

In any event, we are also crazy about the brilliant cushion cut -- it''s easily her favorite. I thought I''d just chime in since I''m now actively shopping for something similar to the stone discussed in this thread.

Any suggestions of a few good on-line vendors to use in searching for a brilliant cut cushion?? Also, will I find that there is a premium for that particular modified brilliant cushion cut over a normal cushion?

I think that our ideal stone would be between 2.5-3.0ct, H-I color, VS1-SI1, with perhaps even a slight flourescence. I do not know the particular ratio and/or table/depth percentage that is best for this type of stone, so if anyone could offer a bit of info I''d certainly appreciate it!! I have much to learn...

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 4:11:12 PM
Author: NoVa Tiger
First post here. I have been lurking for a few weeks, and after shopping this weekend my girlfriend and I are finally starting to get a feel for what she wants.

In any event, we are also crazy about the brilliant cushion cut -- it's easily her favorite. I thought I'd just chime in since I'm now actively shopping for something similar to the stone discussed in this thread.

Any suggestions of a few good on-line vendors to use in searching for a brilliant cut cushion?? Also, will I find that there is a premium for that particular modified brilliant cushion cut over a normal cushion?

I think that our ideal stone would be between 2.5-3.0ct, H-I color, VS1-SI1, with perhaps even a slight flourescence. I do not know the particular ratio and/or table/depth percentage that is best for this type of stone, so if anyone could offer a bit of info I'd certainly appreciate it!! I have much to learn...

Six words mean amazing cushion here on PS: Mark Turnowski at Engagement Rings Direct!

ETA: There are no rules with cushions except that you need to see them with your own eyes to know whether it's "good" or not. Mark eliminates that need because he's awesome at selecting them.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 7/30/2007 4:21:07 PM
Author: neatfreak

Date: 7/30/2007 4:11:12 PM

In any event, we are also crazy about the brilliant cushion cut -- it''s easily her favorite. I thought I''d just chime in since I''m now actively shopping for something similar to the stone discussed in this thread.

I think that our ideal stone would be between 2.5-3.0ct, H-I color, VS1-SI1, with perhaps even a slight flourescence. I do not know the particular ratio and/or table/depth percentage that is best for this type of stone, so if anyone could offer a bit of info I''d certainly appreciate it!! I have much to learn...

Six words mean amazing cushion here on PS: Mark Turnowski at Engagement Rings Direct!

ETA: There are no rules with cushions except that you need to see them with your own eyes to know whether "you love them or not" it''s ''good'' or not. Mark eliminates that need because he''s awesome at selecting them.
A small correction....

NoVa Tiger

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for the quick reply! Does anyone know of any on-line modified brilliant cut cushion listings? Most vendors on PS seem to certainly list cushion as a listed cut to search in their respective databases, but I can not find a vendor that lists cushions with a modified brilliant cut under any seach function. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

CushionShopper

Rough_Rock
Okay, hopefully this will work. It''s the best pic that I''ve got. Thoughts?

IMG_0830.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A crushed ice cushion? Wow, quite a nice looking diamond.

CushionShopper

Rough_Rock
Sorry for the extra post, but I should mention that the picture above was taken away from the jeweler''s lights. I realize that those lights can be deceiving.

CushionShopper

Rough_Rock
One more pic, also taken without the lights.

IMG_0831.JPG

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 4:47:05 PM
Author: Chrono
This is what I was thinking, the patterns look like a radiant. This style works with a larger table in my opinion. I think it''s a pretty stone if you prefer the look of modern crushed-ice cushions versus antique chunky facet styles.

NoVa Tiger

Rough_Rock

okay, so I may have been mistaken in my previous posts...I guess the type of stone I''m most interested in is simply called a "brilliant cushion" or a "H&A cussion" as opposed to a "modified brilliant cushion" -- how confusing! haha

Ideally, I''m trying to get this Tiffany''s look w/out paying a Tiffany''s price for the stone... Thoughts?

NOTE: PICTURE ATTACHED

novo01.JPG

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 4:47:43 PM
Sorry for the extra post, but I should mention that the picture above was taken away from the jeweler''s lights. I realize that those lights can be deceiving.
I''m responding because I myself love cushions. I do not own a cushion diamond myself but do own another gemstone cut as a cushion. My boyfriend purchased my right hand ring a gift based on what I told him that I liked. How does this pertian to you? As much as I love that ring, I''m not particualry thrilled with the shape. To me it is a little square and not what I perfer in a cushion. I love the look of the older more antique stones that are a little bit more elongated with larger facets (there are quite a few on PS). I do agree with kcorsolle that to me it looks like a radiant almost. It clearly isnt, however, the look is more radiant like. Does that make sense? It sounds like you are pretty set with what you want your cushion to look like and if you know your girlfriend likes that style, then it looks like a pretty stone. IMO I would keep looking for a different l/w ratio with a smaller table. Most likely a personal preference. Please let us know what you decide.

NoVa Tiger: You may want to start your own thread. It looks like you have a lot of great questions that I''m sure people would like to respond to. You will probably get more responses if you start a new one. Good luck!
41.gif

CushionShopper

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 8:08:57 PM
Author: emeraldlover1
Date: 7/30/2007 4:47:43 PM

I''m responding because I myself love cushions. I do not own a cushion diamond myself but do own another gemstone cut as a cushion. My boyfriend purchased my right hand ring a gift based on what I told him that I liked. How does this pertian to you? As much as I love that ring, I''m not particualry thrilled with the shape. To me it is a little square and not what I perfer in a cushion. I love the look of the older more antique stones that are a little bit more elongated with larger facets (there are quite a few on PS). I do agree with kcorsolle that to me it looks like a radiant almost. It clearly isnt, however, the look is more radiant like. Does that make sense? It sounds like you are pretty set with what you want your cushion to look like and if you know your girlfriend likes that style, then it looks like a pretty stone. IMO I would keep looking for a different l/w ratio with a smaller table. Most likely a personal preference. Please let us know what you decide.

NoVa Tiger: You may want to start your own thread. It looks like you have a lot of great questions that I''m sure people would like to respond to. You will probably get more responses if you start a new one. Good luck!
41.gif

I definitely see your point, but for me, I like the square look. I certainly recognize that there are different tastes out there though. Luckily, my girlfriend likes the square length to width ratio as well. We''ve looked at the Tiffany Novo and while we like it, it was about $60K in the 2 carat range, which seemed outrageous. One thing of interest is how different all of the cushion cuts are. Some have bigger facets than others, etc. Personally, I prefer round stones, but my girlfriend really wants a cushion that sparkles like a round. When I saw this one at the jeweler, it seemed to be the best of both worlds. Obviously, now I''m looking at the pics and wondering if I''ve made a good choice. On the other hand, pictures of diamonds don''t seem to be of much value since they sometimes show things that aren''t there or miss things (like visible inclusions) that you''d see if you looked at it in person. Guess I''ll see what it looks like once it''s set and then decide if I like it. I suppose that I could always back out at that point.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 5:51:14 PM
Author: kcoursolle

Date: 7/30/2007 4:47:05 PM
Author: Chrono
This is what I was thinking, the patterns look like a radiant. This style works with a larger table in my opinion. I think it''s a pretty stone if you prefer the look of modern crushed-ice cushions versus antique chunky facet styles.
I agree - because there is so much going on in the pavillion, you need less going on in the crown. JMO but for these crushed ice modifieds I''d go even to a 70 table. For an antique style I wouldn''t go above 56 and for the moderns we see to 60 (though a really nice one with a 61 or 62 would probably be fine. JMO and of course, each diamond has to be judged on its own.

The price may be a little high. I dunno... check it against others you find online.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This looks very modern to me -- cause of the facet pattern. I can''t wait to see how it looks set in an antique style setting. Could you just "plop it in one" and take a photo for us?

Good job paying attention to what your GF wants by the way!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2007 7:24:46 PM

okay, so I may have been mistaken in my previous posts...I guess the type of stone I''m most interested in is simply called a ''brilliant cushion'' or a ''H&A cussion'' as opposed to a ''modified brilliant cushion'' -- how confusing! haha

Ideally, I''m trying to get this Tiffany''s look w/out paying a Tiffany''s price for the stone... Thoughts?

Nova,

You actually want a Square Hearts and Arrows stone, which are sold at Good Old Gold. That, paired with a Ritani or other pave band, will give you the look closest to the Novo. It''s been discussed many times before, so check the old threads too.

CushionShopper

Rough_Rock
With a cushion, it''s hard to look online to see how it compares in terms of price because they''re all so different. It''s hard to tell what type of cushion you''re actually buying, which makes comparisons very difficult. I guess that''s the drawback once you get away from round brilliants, which are easy to compare on specs alone.

Anyway, I''m going to go with my eye and trust my instincts. If this diamond looks better than the others, I guess that''s what really matters, so long as I''m not getting ripped off! Once it''s set, I''ll post some pics.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/30/2007 7:24:46 PM

okay, so I may have been mistaken in my previous posts...I guess the type of stone I''m most interested in is simply called a ''brilliant cushion'' or a ''H&A cussion'' as opposed to a ''modified brilliant cushion'' -- how confusing! haha

Nova,
It''s best to start on your own separate thread on the search for your cushion. To get that look, I highly suggest Good Old Gold''s square H&A cushion. You can search for them here:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamondSearch.php

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that getting a square H&A from goodoldgold will give you the same look as the NOVO and I'd set it in the Ritani enless love setting (no halo) for almost the same look as the Tiffany's version..

NoVa Tiger

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all who have respoonded -- I can''t tell you how much I appreciate the help! I''ll start my own thread, as suggested for further discussion. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results