shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Sandbox Wars

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you're paying for a custom setting, then you should get the kind of prongs you want regardless of who you find to take on your project & vision. I would advise to collect & send pics of exactly what you want so there isnt any question or design interpretation. ;-)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Here are double claw prongs ... this is my AVC with LM ring.
CharmyPoo%20-%20EringMorePave1.jpg

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1415718658|3781283 said:
pinkjewel|1415711653|3781227 said:
I'm saddened by the way this thread has gone. It's unfortunate if Caysie was "shilling" ( and by saying this I am not questioning the mods), as she didn't need to. Her pieces are gorgeous and there are several of us "real" customers that posted our rings and are very happy with them. The OP asked about who could set an AVC and Caysie is talented with antique cuts, and her bench does impeccable work. I understand where some people would not recommend a banned member, but LAD still uses Caysie for some of her designs and Benchwork, too. Caysie's work should speak for itself. Let us not turn this thread into a another big "drama" on PS.

eta- punctutation

I agree with this totally. I will continue to recommend Caysie as well, because she and her team are the best I know of for certain designs. She is also a one of the most kind, honest, and genuine people I have met here. I forgive my friends if they make a mistake and they do likewise, so I am able to move on.

Any person who is shilling in my opinion is not honest or genuine, kind is a different thing. I would not consider doing business with this person anymore because of their dishonesty. :!:

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like Leon Mege's work. I believe he knows what makes the best looking ring. I do not intend to commission a ring
with pave but if I did I would go to him. I know what people have written and read it all but apart from the hold a persons
diamond hostage, which I wondered about, I would not go to anyone else.

I feel I could work great with him, because I would let him decide on the proportions and look of the ring, because he would be better at it than me and most posters. This is where I feel people go wrong. They want to design their ring, micro manage it, so go to a jeweller who does cad, for a Leon ring, I would leave it to the artist. His work speaks for itself - he is definitely talented, the lines of his settings are just different from anyone elses in my opinion.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love Charmypoos ring above. :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am sure Steven can accommodate different prongs. In your request for a quote make sure you tell him that you realize he specializes in claw prongs, but you are hoping he can do a different type, then ATTACH A PICTURE. Picture is worth a thousand words.

I think Steven is the best choice here.

AVC4Me

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1415734966|3781456 said:
AVC4Me|1415733650|3781442 said:
CharmyPoo|1415713244|3781237 said:
I just noticed that you wanted a 3-stone. Too bad about LM because I truly consider him the best at proportions for 3 stones or 5 stones. With that said, SK has made many beautiful 3-stones ... not too hard!

Charmypoo...thanks for trying to bring this back around :clap: ...I'm just sitting here shaking my head...I'm looking for a classic, simple, well executed and "no detail overlooked" kind of setting....tending towards SK at this very moment, pending quote. Do you think he would be offended if I ask for prongs "not so claw like"?? Some people love 'em...I don't. His training with Leon is showing.

If you aren't interested in the claw prongs, I would actually consider lower cost CAD/CAST alternatives for a three stone. This way, you can actually really see the proportions and even wax models before it is made. Also, I am wondering if you stick with GOG to do this if you don't need sharp prongs .... I would say ERD/BE but it seems based on your update that they don't take GOG AVC stones now too????

I believe ERD will accept the stone, but GOG won't send it there. I'm on my own there. When you say "lower cost CAD alternatives", what are you comparing that to?

I definitely need to see the sides in proportion to the center.

AVC4Me

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1415713244|3781237 said:
I just noticed that you wanted a 3-stone. Too bad about LM because I truly consider him the best at proportions for 3 stones or 5 stones. With that said, SK has made many beautiful 3-stones ... not too hard!

For a 3 stone setting, would you recommend CAD/cast or hand forged? Does this design command one over the other?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Personally, with no pave .. I am fine with cad/cast. Lower cost above was in reference to against hand forged prices.

AVC4Me

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1415758504|3781712 said:
Personally, with no pave .. I am fine with cad/cast. Lower cost above was in reference to against hand forged prices.

I think for my own peace of mind, I really need to see the exact design up front...leaving nothing to the imagination. CAD it is!

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
I would ask BE (ERD) for a quote and get their recommendation on CAD vs. handforged. As I mentioned, they had told me handforged was better for a 3 stone ring and they even sent me over a document showing the process. I have been following PS for a couple of years now and I would trust Charmypoo's opinion though (and have), so now I am very curious!! :angel:

Either way, any of these vendors (SK, BE, LM) will show you the proportions of the side stones with the center stone prior to going ahead with the process. (They will send you an actual picture of the side stones next to your diamond.) I don't know how big of side stones you are considering, but the price of the setting is usually dependent on the side stones you pick (color, size, etc) and the side stones will be priced out separately.

I look forward to following your progress!

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Erd/BE made my 3 stone (OEC with tapered bullets, handforged) ring a year ago. They did send me photos of 3 options of my stone plus 2 sides with up to $2200 price difference. It was a nice visual and I found it really helped me decide if it was "worth it" for the price jump. But in hindsight, I would have chosen to go cad/cast and put the difference in price between hand forged vs cast into getting larger sidestones. Having poured over their cast/hand forged videos for hours, I cannot tell a difference in the two and BE does so many 3 stones that I'm sure they've got the workmanship down pat now.

AVC4Me

Shiny_Rock
It looks like many have worked with ERD and SK for similar 3 stone projects. Did anyone consider Vatche? Comments on the workmanship in this video, as much as one can tell just from a video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoBxOa5DvCs

AVC4Me

Shiny_Rock
jerichosmom|1415769121|3781823 said:
Erd/BE made my 3 stone (OEC with tapered bullets, handforged) ring a year ago. They did send me photos of 3 options of my stone plus 2 sides with up to $2200 price difference. It was a nice visual and I found it really helped me decide if it was "worth it" for the price jump. But in hindsight, I would have chosen to go cad/cast and put the difference in price between hand forged vs cast into getting larger sidestones. Having poured over their cast/hand forged videos for hours, I cannot tell a difference in the two and BE does so many 3 stones that I'm sure they've got the workmanship down pat now.

I would love to see it! Can you post the link?

SB621

Ideal_Rock

AVC4Me

Shiny_Rock
SB621|1415794137|3781901 said:
Just an FYI but GOG has a 3 stone ring by SK on cosignment right now. Not sure if it will fit your stone though:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12562/

Yes, I saw that...sizing is only 3.5 and limited...too small! But the pics give me a good idea of SK's work. Very nice!

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
AVC4Me|1415791252|3781878 said:
It looks like many have worked with ERD and SK for similar 3 stone projects. Did anyone consider Vatche? Comments on the workmanship in this video, as much as one can tell just from a video?

Vatche made the RG setting for an AVC I bought.
The design is very simple and it is well made. I think a lot depends on if you require execution of an existing design or someone to do more design work.

AVC4Me

Shiny_Rock
Harpertoo|1415800369|3781928 said:

The design is very simple and it is well made. I think a lot depends on if you require execution of an existing design or someone to do more design work.

Harpertoo - Is there a link to your ring on PS? Or could you post a pic? Thank you!! Did you make any changes to the setting you chose?

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
AVC4Me|1415816290|3782075 said:

Harpertoo - Is there a link to your ring on PS? Or could you post a pic? Thank you!! Did you make any changes to the setting you chose?

here's the SMTB thread & a pic.

I think I sent pics of an inspiration ring to GOG - but it was/is a very common style solitaire and I just confirmed the width of the band and the prongs I wanted. I liked the ease of using Vatche w/ GOG. Also I was unsure how I would be wearing it and felt I might upgrade or change settings down the road....still contemplating both...
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-recd-my-2-25-avc-p-in-rg-vatche-via-gog.188072/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-recd-my-2-25-avc-p-in-rg-vatche-via-gog.188072/[/URL]

dsc_195.jpg

AVC4Me

Shiny_Rock
Harpertoo|1415818286|3782107 said:

I think I sent pics of an inspiration ring to GOG - but it was/is a very common style solitaire and I just confirmed the width of the band and the prongs I wanted. I liked the ease of using Vatche w/ GOG. Also I was unsure how I would be wearing it and felt I might upgrade or change settings down the road....still contemplating both...
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-recd-my-2-25-avc-p-in-rg-vatche-via-gog.188072/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-recd-my-2-25-avc-p-in-rg-vatche-via-gog.188072/[/URL]

Are those prongs what Vatche considers "claw prongs"? I have seen so many interpretations of that description. The ones on your ring seem to be in between the very long thin type and the "standard" rounder prong. Also, did you go through several CAD revisions? How was this priced out for you? CAD extra? Was this based on an existing Vatche design?

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
AVC4Me|1415818931|3782117 said:
Harpertoo|1415818286|3782107 said:

Are those prongs what Vatche considers "claw prongs"? I have seen so many interpretations of that description. The ones on your ring seem to be in between the very long thin type and the "standard" rounder prong. Also, did you go through several CAD revisions? How was this priced out for you? CAD extra? Was this based on an existing Vatche design?

I called them "delicate double claw prongs" and sent example pics. I'm no expert, but I think they seem standard for delicate double claw? I knew I did not want anything too chunky for this ring design. I think that photos are the best communicator on these details since clearly people have different ideas of what these terms mean precisely.

I sent several pictures and they sent cads. I had the quote before the cads were sent based on my photos and melee specs they provided. I required no revisions to the cads, but I have no doubt they would have tweaked it had there been an issue. This design was not based on a Vatche design that I know of, but was close to a Ritani design that had standard rounded prongs. It was also very close to a fellow PSer's ring that did not have the melee.

The process was smooth and pretty quick.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AVC4Me|1415818931|3782117 said:

The very long thin type are only able to be done with a hand-forged ring, not with a cast ring. Those are pretty standard claw prongs for a cast ring.

AVC4Me

Shiny_Rock

Can you post the link for your ring? Thanks!! I am considering ERD...the CAD/Handforged is a tough decision.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AVC4Me|1416569661|3787833 said:
Can you post the link for your ring? Thanks!! I am considering ERD...the CAD/Handforged is a tough decision.
Here's the SMTB post from jerochosmom; in addition to the pics of the lovely ring, I think you'll also find her description of the vendor selection + design process very useful :))
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/oec-reset-from-vintage-to-timeless-classic.196130//

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
to see any users thread with their ring, just click on topics next to their avitar then scroll through to find that thread. Easy-peasy and just in case jericho doesn't see your question :)) I use that function all of the time when I want to see certain members jewelry pieces.

While I was typing this I see you got your answer, but I'm still posting it for your future use.

AVC4Me

Shiny_Rock
woofmama|1416574495|3787854 said:
to see any users thread with their ring, just click on topics next to their avitar then scroll through to find that thread. Easy-peasy and just in case jericho doesn't see your question :)) I use that function all of the time when I want to see certain members jewelry pieces.

While I was typing this I see you got your answer, but I'm still posting it for your future use.

Thank you woofmama and mollymalone!! I am so new to the way PS works...still figuring things out! I am currently leaning towards ERD. They can do a 3 stone for about half of what SK quoted...but granted, SK was hand forged and ERD is CAD. Even so, I keep wondering, do you "get what you pay for"?? Am I missing something? The ERD pictures seem to have great proportions for the 3 stones they show on the web site and the detail seems to be quality - will I regret it?? I have only emailed with Chris, no other discussions yet.

tweeter8177

Brilliant_Rock
Did you ask ERD/BE for a handforged quote? They do both CADs and handforged. Given they are almost ½ of SK, I am guessing it will still be less and it may be the best of both worlds for you. I will mention again that I think it is worth asking Chris for a recommendation on handforged vs. CAD.

I have worked with both SK and ERD and I think it is personal choice on whether it is worth it to pay the premium for an SK ring. With ERD and a CAD, you will have more input into the final design…meaning you can see the CAD, make changes, see a new CAD, etc. With SK, you pretty much will just leave it to him to design the ring (except for approving the sidestones and initial design discussions). I am not sure how ERD operates with handforged. Do you prefer a hands-on experience or would you rather trust a vendor to run with it? Either way, I don’t think you will regret the outcome. Both vendors have very positive reviews on this forum and have done many, many rings. Go with your gut!! :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results