shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion rings under 1ct

Klarizze

Rough_Rock
Hello Pricescope friends,

I met my dream girl a few years ago, she was a teacher (my age) and I was a student (I started my college education way late in life). I was instantly attracted but we never talked or hanged out or anything cause I knew she should never ever date a current student from her workplace. A few years fast forward I finished my degree and asked her out and she said yes. Fast forward a few months later we officially became an item, and a few months after that we moved in together.
I threw hints around from the beginning about engagement, marriage and such and and she says she likes "squarish" stones, which threw down the drain my dream of giving out a pear diamond ring (to me, pears are the rarest of them all), and started looking for squarish stones. The asscher cut is out of the question since it doesn't give too much fire (which she likes), and finally settled for a Signature H&A's Cushion from Brian Gavin Diamonds due to its rarity (or so said my research) and bought this baby for her (when you know you know eh?) which happened to be within my budget at the time :

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...0.846-i-vvs2-cushion-diamond-ags-104079637007

Anyway, I'm a little bit concerned since her ring size is somewhere between 5.75 and 6.25 on how the stone will look on her finger.... Anyone out there with cushion cut engagement rings under the 1ct range? All photos / opinions will be much appreciated as I am stressing out for good (what if she doesn't like it???). I am planning on setting this on the BGD's Jurica Ring (http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/e...and-side-stones/jurica-18k-white-gold-5375w18) soon if all goes according to the plan. What do you guys think?

Also, any ideas on how to make this ring two tone gold (yellow & white) w/o setting it on yellow gold with a white gold head?

Thanks in advance.!!

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't have a cushion that I could share, but I just wanted to chime in and say how absolutely stunning that diamond is. You made an excellent choice!

As far as the ring setting goes, it's not my personal favorite. I found this image (attaching below) just doing a google search, and thought it was a really unique way to use both white and yellow gold. Brian Gavin does do custom settings, and as far as I've been told he is fairly reasonably priced.

But obviously if your girlfriend has given you an idea of what kind of setting she would like, I'd stick with that. :bigsmile:

yellow-gold-and-white-gold-engagement-rings-4.jpg

Klarizze

Rough_Rock
Hi Rissa,

I love the look of the yellow gold inside, white gold outside. It's a great idea and it may fit the bill -- she likes two tone gold but doesn't like yellow gold that looks too yellow, and BG's 18k yellow gold is too yellow for her (her words lol), I came up with the Jurica ring cause she said she liked rings that look a "thicker" on the top, and she likes channel sets (cause they've got more stones than other types of settings thus giving more bling) however, those go outside of budget and after talking last week she said she could rather have a ring that makes the center stone the main attraction rather than having a ring that made a stone less magnificent.

daintyG - Thanks for sharing, I looked into your post and that ring looks lovely... Do you have the link to that setting or was it custom made for you? I've asked about asschers (they're a personal favourite of mine along with pears, I probably like asschers a little more than pears) but she said she didn't like it as much cause it didn't gave much bling :( :wall:

Thanks for sharing and for the input ladies, this is much appreciated!! :dance:

hazeleyes29

Rough_Rock
I have a set of stackers that I bought years ago from Bluenile, One is .30ct Cushion in rose gold, the other is .30ct asscher. Not sure of the stats but I have included a photo. I have small hands at finger size of 3.5.

img_20160126_114041.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This 1,01 ct Antique cushion ring is from PSer Missy Debby. She has a size 5 finger I believe. The setting is custom made by Leon Mege and has 6 french cuts on each side.

_1747.jpeg

_1748.jpeg

_1749.jpeg

Klarizze

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the most beautiful pics! (doesn't' seem like there's many cushion cuts here in this place) or maybe I am looking the wrong place, but definitely eased up my mind and feel a lot more confident now of ordering. I'm in touch with BGD's and will de placing the order for the ring late Feb - takes 3-4 weeks to create and will be proposing end of April for our anniversary. Please send the positive vibes°

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
Klarizze|1454513399|3986194 said:
Hi Rissa,

I love the look of the yellow gold inside, white gold outside. It's a great idea and it may fit the bill -- she likes two tone gold but doesn't like yellow gold that looks too yellow, and BG's 18k yellow gold is too yellow for her (her words lol), I came up with the Jurica ring cause she said she liked rings that look a "thicker" on the top, and she likes channel sets (cause they've got more stones than other types of settings thus giving more bling) however, those go outside of budget and after talking last week she said she could rather have a ring that makes the center stone the main attraction rather than having a ring that made a stone less magnificent.

daintyG - Thanks for sharing, I looked into your post and that ring looks lovely... Do you have the link to that setting or was it custom made for you? I've asked about asschers (they're a personal favourite of mine along with pears, I probably like asschers a little more than pears) but she said she didn't like it as much cause it didn't gave much bling :( :wall:

Thanks for sharing and for the input ladies, this is much appreciated!! :dance:

Here is a link to my setting! https://eshop.gabrielny.com/engagement-ring/ER8686W4JJJ

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I dont know if this helps because my cushion is set into a halo ring, and its a pink champagne color rather than colorless diamond, but its 0.54cts and on a size 5 finger.

pink_champagne_ring_103.jpg

Klarizze

Rough_Rock
diamondhoarder said:
by diamondhoarder » 07 Feb 2016 12:52
I dont know if this helps because my cushion is set into a halo ring, and its a pink champagne color rather than colorless diamond, but its 0.54cts and on a size 5 finger.

I think your pink / champagne stone looks absolutely stunning. Probably one of my favourites so far! Congrats on the beautiful ring and thanks for sharing! :)

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
you might want to puruse this thread to help you visualize the size.

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/cushion-cuts-a-collection-t135031-360.html

Not a huge fan of that setting, it's just going to diminish the size of the stone imo. What about something like this? It's tapers towards the stone so emphasizes the stone without overshadowing the diamond but yet doesnt end up looking like a fragile band http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/gaia-platinum-5983p

are diamonds over 1ct pretty common where you live? i've never seen such huge diamond e-rings before coming to PS! loL! You have a lovely diamond :love: but you could always sacrifice that VVS clarity for eye clean VS2/S1 to gain more size if you feel that would be more important to her. You'll find differing opinions here on clarity vs size. Me, give me the bigger eye clean diamond! :naughty:

oh, and i LOVE pears! It's my second favorite after marquise.

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your stone is lovely, a great pick. I am a little less sure of your setting choice, I am going to be blunt and say that I think it will give the impression that the stone is smaller than it is. A thinner shank will will make the stone appear larger, and some would argue that a halo would help with that as well.

Klarizze

Rough_Rock
RissaLou said:
I don't have a cushion that I could share, but I just wanted to chime in and say how absolutely stunning that diamond is. You made an excellent choice!

As far as the ring setting goes, it's not my personal favorite. I found this image (attaching below) just doing a google search, and thought it was a really unique way to use both white and yellow gold. Brian Gavin does do custom settings, and as far as I've been told he is fairly reasonably priced.

But obviously if your girlfriend has given you an idea of what kind of setting she would like, I'd stick with that. :bigsmile:

I spoke to BGD's and they say the ring I looked at cannot be set with that type of white / yellow gold pattern :( Looks like we're going for white gold, as the 18k Yellow seems to be just "too yellow" for her liking.... :wall:

farrahlyn said:

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/cushion-cuts-a-collection-t135031-360.html

Not a huge fan of that setting, it's just going to diminish the size of the stone imo. What about something like this? It's tapers towards the stone so emphasizes the stone without overshadowing the diamond but yet doesnt end up looking like a fragile band http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/pave-and-side-stones/gaia-platinum-5983p

are diamonds over 1ct pretty common where you live? i've never seen such huge diamond e-rings before coming to PS! loL! You have a lovely diamond :love: but you could always sacrifice that VVS clarity for eye clean VS2/S1 to gain more size if you feel that would be more important to her. You'll find differing opinions here on clarity vs size. Me, give me the bigger eye clean diamond! :naughty:

Stones over 1ct are and aren't a thing... it's a status thing right, so I spoke to her and explained the thinner vs thicker shank thing based on the ring size and stone size, but she said she preferred a thicker one as the liked how it looked on her finger and didn't really care whether the stone looked big or small so go figure...!

I'm going for the Jurica and crossing my fingers it turns out OK! I will post some pictures once I get it! ;-) oh and thanks for the link to the cushion thread, it was really helpful! :bigsmile:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The diamond = :love: :love: :love:

Did you by chance ask BGD how wide the Jurica ring is (I didn't see it on the website)? If not, I would! If the ring is - for example - 5 mm wide and your diamond is just shy of 6.5 mm, I think a previous poster is right - your diamond (especially on WG) may get a little lost against the white metal and additional accent diamonds' sparkle. And that diamond looks too pretty to have that happen. :(

However, if the ring is (say) 2.5 - 2.75 mm wide, then I think it may be fine, and allow that gorgeous cushion to stand out a bit more.
Good luck! :wavey:

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i don't know if this helps you at all but this is my 0.6ct yellow diamond cushion in a super delicate halo on a size 4.5 finger!
IMO a more delicate setting would help your stone stand out more but of course that depends on what she likes!

image_469.jpg

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Klarizze|1456159441|3994001 said:
RissaLou said:

I spoke to BGD's and they say the ring I looked at cannot be set with that type of white / yellow gold pattern :( Looks like we're going for white gold, as the 18k Yellow seems to be just "too yellow" for her liking.... :wall:

farrahlyn said:

Stones over 1ct are and aren't a thing... it's a status thing right, so I spoke to her and explained the thinner vs thicker shank thing based on the ring size and stone size, but she said she preferred a thicker one as the liked how it looked on her finger and didn't really care whether the stone looked big or small so go figure...!

I'm going for the Jurica and crossing my fingers it turns out OK! I will post some pictures once I get it! ;-) oh and thanks for the link to the cushion thread, it was really helpful! :bigsmile:

Smart man, make sure your woman is happy, this is a gift for her so make sure she's gonna love it! ;)) She has to wear it and look it every day after all! I can't wait to see the finished product, please make sure to post pics!

Klarizze

Rough_Rock
Crystal_Dreams said:
i don't know if this helps you at all but this is my 0.6ct yellow diamond cushion in a super delicate halo on a size 4.5 finger!
IMO a more delicate setting would help your stone stand out more but of course that depends on what she likes!

image_469.jpg

Your ring and stone are absolutely GORGEOUS and what I originally had in mind, but she wanted a more traditional center stone :(

Klarizze

Rough_Rock
JoCoJenn|1456170683|3994075 said:
The diamond = :love: :love: :love:

Did you by chance ask BGD how wide the Jurica ring is (I didn't see it on the website)? If not, I would! If the ring is - for example - 5 mm wide and your diamond is just shy of 6.5 mm, I think a previous poster is right - your diamond (especially on WG) may get a little lost against the white metal and additional accent diamonds' sparkle. And that diamond looks too pretty to have that happen. :(

However, if the ring is (say) 2.5 - 2.75 mm wide, then I think it may be fine, and allow that gorgeous cushion to stand out a bit more.
Good luck! :wavey:

Thanks JoCoJenn!! I emailed them last week and they said it's 3.2mm on top and they didn't think it would make the stone look smaller at all (we'll see) thanks for the valuable input!

Klarizze

Rough_Rock
Hello all, input was very helpful. I ended up ordering the Jurica ring since I thought that's what she would like the most, but I am still not so sure... I may have made a mistake in ordering the cushion cut stone instead of a princess stone as I know she really really wanted a square center stone, but this one doesn't look as squarish as I thought it would look... what do you'all think?

Also I'm a bit disappointed cause I ended up ordering a size 6.5 and looks like I got a size 6 so will need to send it back for re sizing after proposing (doing it 2 days from now) :(

13181046_10154194258120844_748596845_n.jpg
BGD's Jurica Ring with H&A Cushion cut center diamond.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone is beautiful, much more to my taste than a princess. She will have been really picky are careful about settings for princess stones because you need to protect those corners that are prone to chipping. The ring is fantastic. She will love it, and it is what she asked for. Good man.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the ring looks gorgeous! could you post just a couple more? good luck with your proposal!!!!!!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring!!!
Good luck!! I'm sure she'll love it! :)

Klarizze

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I'm happy to say she said YES!! Here's a shot fo the ring in her finger. She's off to work but when she comes back I'll borrow the ring to get a few more shots of it :)

13318755_10154241513510844_1264903464_n.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results