shape
carat
color
clarity

cushion questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cushion2009

Rough_Rock

Hi,

I''m looking to purchase a cushion cut stone and have it set as a solitaire for an engagement. I know what i''m looking for *somewhat* and am still getting used to the process.

1) Carat: I''m looking in teh 1.7 to 2.0 carat range.

2) Color: I"ve heard no less than G. Anyone agree/disagree?

3) Clarity: VS2 and above. Is SI1 ok? More important?

4) Cushion: I don''t want to go over a 1.20 ratio. Closer to square. I think I''ll do the Modified Cushion.

5) I''ve been looking at retailers in my area, but haven''t been pleased with the process. I''ve also been looking online, but have been somewhat skeptical of not seeing the stone before I buy it. Union Diamond is attractive because they don''t have sales tax in Georgia. Does anyone have info on Union Diamond expereinces?

6) Also, it seems the beauty of the cut can really only be seen in person. How do you get around this by buying online?

7) any other factors or advice to consider in the cushion cut?

8) Also, it seems the cushion cut is very dependent on the angle of the cuts. Can anyone give me info on what to look for re: cushions and cuts?

Thanks
thanks for your help.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Easiest way to do things is **call** Mark at Engagement Rings Direct. No sales tax in GA either and he is a complete expert on cushions. Super nice guy too.

Do a search here on PS for him, you'll see why we call him the 'cushion king"!

And most people can certainly happily go lower than a G but it depends on your preferences. A sweet spot for bang for your buck is often G VS2 or H SI1. Many SI1 stones are very nice as well if eyeclean, so don't discount them.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2009 2:10:49 PM
Author:cushion2009

Hi,

I''m looking to purchase a cushion cut stone and have it set as a solitaire for an engagement. I know what i''m looking for *somewhat* and am still getting used to the process.

1) Carat: I''m looking in teh 1.7 to 2.0 carat range.

2) Color: I''ve heard no less than G. Anyone agree/disagree? Personal preference, you could definitely consider GIA graded H and I colour, even J.

3) Clarity: VS2 and above. Is SI1 ok? More important? SI can be an excellent choice if verified eyeclean by a trusted vendor.

4) Cushion: I don''t want to go over a 1.20 ratio. Closer to square. I think I''ll do the Modified Cushion.

5) I''ve been looking at retailers in my area, but haven''t been pleased with the process. I''ve also been looking online, but have been somewhat skeptical of not seeing the stone before I buy it. Union Diamond is attractive because they don''t have sales tax in Georgia. Does anyone have info on Union Diamond expereinces?

6) Also, it seems the beauty of the cut can really only be seen in person. How do you get around this by buying online? You really need detailed photos and ASET images preferably in order to evaluate the cut and beauty of the diamond, and to know if it appeals to you or not. It is very important to work with a vendor who can supply the above and also has in house diamonds, or call call the diamonds in for analysis. Otherwise you are buying blind in my opinion. You could check out Mark at www.engagementringsdirect.com as he is known as the go to guy for cushions. Alternatively try Jon at

www.goodoldgold.com as he sometimes has nice cushions available.

7) any other factors or advice to consider in the cushion cut?

8) Also, it seems the cushion cut is very dependent on the angle of the cuts. Can anyone give me info on what to look for re: cushions and cuts? Regrettably there are no ideal numbers you can follow to guarantee you a well cut cushion, hence the importance of photos and ASET images.

Thanks
thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results