shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Question for Cehrabehra and Others

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
pink envelope nearby...

P3230017.jpg

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
last semi-decent one I have... this experience definitely has inspired me to get a new digital camera...

P3230021.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 6:01:36 PM
Author: boston_jeff
last semi-decent one I have... this experience definitely has inspired me to get a new digital camera...
LMAO!!! omg I''m seriously laughing here... yes! you must!! And honestly jeff? I hope you stick around to be my comrade in arms long after the ring is done and on her finger :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 6:00:56 PM
pink envelope nearby...
omg I have a pic of my stone that looks almost like that...!!

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 6:18:57 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
LMAO!!! omg I''m seriously laughing here... yes! you must!! And honestly jeff? I hope you stick around to be my comrade in arms long after the ring is done and on her finger :)

Knowing my GF, I will have plenty of reason to keep up on my PS knowledge, so I anticipate hanging around indefinitely after the engagement!

Cehra, I think what makes the stone is the tiny table. Like you said, because the table is so small the LGFs do not break up the stone under the table.

I know that the pictures suck, but I am amazed how even in the really poor, yellow, unnatural light of my apartment I could not avoid getting color coming out of the stone no matter how hard I tried. Even when the rest of the stone is very dark there are at least a few facets that are blue, orange, rainbow, etc.

I tried to get a picture through the ASET, but as you''ve seen even basic functionality was too much to ask from my camera today, so anything more complicated was not going to happen... I think I heard the camera laugh at me when I was trying to line up the stone with the viewer. As far as what my stone looks like under ASET, there is a large diamond of red in the middle of the stone (except the bow tie facets). Green around the red, but not quite as much as I thought (I expected the stone to be 50% green...). Leakage primarily around the corners.

Hopefully the pics of the completed ring will evoke more ooohs and ahhs from the PS faithful. I sent the stone to Leon Mege this afternoon.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I think I want the type of stone you guys have now. It should only say "cushion brilliant" on the cert, right?

Dogmom

Shiny_Rock
Long-time lurker and cushion fan here. What a beautiful stone, Jeff!! And in a Leon setting....wow, I''m drooling!

If and when the time comes, I will refer to this thread for help choosing a stone. Many thanks to you and Cehra and the other cushion lovers for blazing a trail for the rest of us.
1.gif

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 7:40:43 PM
Author: luckystar112
I think I want the type of stone you guys have now. It should only say ''cushion brilliant'' on the cert, right?

Well, I can tell you what it should NOT say, which is cushion modified brilliant or anything else with "modified" in it.

"Our" stones (hehe, I like that, although our stones certainly have their differences) are actually certed as "old mine brilliants," so you should include those in your search as well. At the very least, you want the facet plot on the cert to look like the one below.

cushio1.jpg

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 7:45:36 PM
Author: Dogmom
Long-time lurker and cushion fan here. What a beautiful stone, Jeff!! And in a Leon setting....wow, I'm drooling!

If and when the time comes, I will refer to this thread for help choosing a stone. Many thanks to you and Cehra and the other cushion lovers for blazing a trail for the rest of us.
1.gif

Thanks Dogmom, I really appreciate you coming out of lurkerdom to give my stone some love! If you are drawn to antique-style cushions, I really think that the search is worth it, even though it can be challenging and frustrating at times, because the chunky facet firey look is hard to find in any other stone, including other types of cushions. It's a unique look that you should have if you love it.

I'm glad to hear that this thread will help others in their searches... if there are any questions you think I can answer, feel free to ask!

bosoxbw

Rough_Rock
The stone looks great even in decent-quality pictures.... I can only imagine how fantastic it is in person!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 7:23:51 PM

Date: 3/23/2007 6:18:57 PM

Knowing my GF, I will have plenty of reason to keep up on my PS knowledge, so I anticipate hanging around indefinitely after the engagement!

Cehra, I think what makes the stone is the tiny table. Like you said, because the table is so small the LGFs do not break up the stone under the table.

I know that the pictures suck, but I am amazed how even in the really poor, yellow, unnatural light of my apartment I could not avoid getting color coming out of the stone no matter how hard I tried. Even when the rest of the stone is very dark there are at least a few facets that are blue, orange, rainbow, etc.

I tried to get a picture through the ASET, but as you''ve seen even basic functionality was too much to ask from my camera today, so anything more complicated was not going to happen... I think I heard the camera laugh at me when I was trying to line up the stone with the viewer. As far as what my stone looks like under ASET, there is a large diamond of red in the middle of the stone (except the bow tie facets). Green around the red, but not quite as much as I thought (I expected the stone to be 50% green...). Leakage primarily around the corners.

Hopefully the pics of the completed ring will evoke more ooohs and ahhs from the PS faithful. I sent the stone to Leon Mege this afternoon.
oh post it post I''ll show you mine if you show me yours!!! And I won''t even giggle at your camerawork!!! hehe I can''t wait to see the finished thing!! pffft I bet you have yours before I have mine!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think I want the type of stone you guys have now. It should only say ''cushion brilliant'' on the cert, right?
Actually jeff and I have "old mine brilliant" stones, but the cushion brilliant CAN be very similar - but there are two types of cushion brilliant... ours would have the points at 12/3/6 while the modern cushion brilliants have more of an x pattern :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 7:49:04 PM

Well, I can tell you what it should NOT say, which is cushion modified brilliant or anything else with ''modified'' in it.

''Our'' stones (hehe, I like that, although our stones certainly have their differences) are actually certed as ''old mine brilliants,'' so you should include those in your search as well. At the very least, you want the facet plot on the cert to look like the one below.
yes and the OMB stone plot has a slightly larger culet than that I think... but they''re both similar cuts its just a matter of table size, crown size, culet size... and some other unknown factors. I should call GIA and get the official scoop!

Also, if your stone got on a torture device and stretched in the middle just a bit it would have a long torso aka bowtie like mine too hahaha... you do have a better "cross" but I''ve taken some cross pics too yanno!!!
cbOMC34.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 7:55:30 PM

Date: 3/23/2007 7:45:36 PM
Author: Dogmom
Long-time lurker and cushion fan here. What a beautiful stone, Jeff!! And in a Leon setting....wow, I''m drooling!

1.gif

Thanks Dogmom, I really appreciate you coming out of lurkerdom to give my stone some love! If you are drawn to antique-style cushions, I really think that the search is worth it, even though it can be challenging and frustrating at times, because the chunky facet firey look is hard to find in any other stone, including other types of cushions. It''s a unique look that you should have if you love it.

I''m glad to hear that this thread will help others in their searches... if there are any questions you think I can answer, feel free to ask!
they really do have special charms! Big facets make big rainbows!!! Hey Jeff, does yours have any pinfire? Mine has it all over but mostly on the ends where the very thin corner facets are.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay nevermind, I see the pinfire here but it seems spread out - how would you describe it in the sun in person? Mine is like colored glitter ALL through the stone but concentrated in the corners... full rainbows but teeeeeny tiny ones!

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Boston Jeff, okay now after seeing the pictures I am blown away! That is some stone. Beautiful.
30.gif

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 9:56:37 PM

okay nevermind, I see the pinfire here but it seems spread out - how would you describe it in the sun in person? Mine is like colored glitter ALL through the stone but concentrated in the corners... full rainbows but teeeeeny tiny ones!

I think the stone looks best in the sunlight. Like the pinfire, I would say its pretty well spread through the stone, but there is definitely lots of action in the corners because you get smaller fire there... I miss the stone already, I wish I got to play with it more...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 11:59:30 PM

Date: 3/23/2007 9:56:37 PM

I think the stone looks best in the sunlight. Like the pinfire, I would say its pretty well spread through the stone, but there is definitely lots of action in the corners because you get smaller fire there... I miss the stone already, I wish I got to play with it more...
I played with mine for ::counting:: over 6 months.... and it doesn''t get easier it just gets harder!! The only downside for you vs for me is that *I* get to wear it and have it 24/7 and YOU have to give it away haha ;-)

One of these days men are going to realize they have to MAKE it fashionable to wear large diamonds or it never will be :D

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 7:49:04 PM

Well, I can tell you what it should NOT say, which is cushion modified brilliant or anything else with ''modified'' in it.

''Our'' stones (hehe, I like that, although our stones certainly have their differences) are actually certed as ''old mine brilliants,'' so you should include those in your search as well. At the very least, you want the facet plot on the cert to look like the one below.

Luckystar,

My new cushion(!!!!!! as of yesterday) also has the same plot as Jeff''s but is a "cushion brilliant" not an "old mine brilliant". Mine is a bit like his, but more symmetrical and modern looking, and still doesn''t have the crushed ice look as the modifieds.

Work with Mark T. He''ll get you a gorgeous stone whatever you want.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Neatfreak...

Congratulations on your purchase! It looks fantastic!

Is it off being set?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow, I was just looking at all of our avatars and its like a lovefest.... man, I''m gettin'' all choked up :) hehe Congrats NF!!!

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 1:37:10 PM
wow, I was just looking at all of our avatars and its like a lovefest.... man, I''m gettin'' all choked up :) hehe Congrats NF!!!

Cehra-- what did you think of the stone in the thread I posted?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 1:14:47 PM
Hi Neatfreak...

Congratulations on your purchase! It looks fantastic!

Is it off being set?

Thanks Jeff and Cehra! It is off being set...I will hopefully have it in a few short weeks. Can't wait to see both of yours too!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 1:47:22 PM

Date: 3/26/2007 1:37:10 PM

Cehra-- what did you think of the stone in the thread I posted?
I had seen it before and saved pics of it :) I think it''s a pretty stone, it''s a bit funky but I like it! I honestly don''t think there''s a thread about cushions, OMC or OEC here I haven''t looked at LOL

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 7:57:30 PM
I had seen it before and saved pics of it :) I think it''s a pretty stone, it''s a bit funky but I like it! I honestly don''t think there''s a thread about cushions, OMC or OEC here I haven''t looked at LOL

What do you think the table on that thing is? 45% tops?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lovely stone!!! I''ve enjoyed your pictures!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 9:54:40 PM

Date: 3/26/2007 7:57:30 PM

What do you think the table on that thing is? 45% tops?
tops... I''d say close to 40 probably! My family has an old diamond that has a table that is about 20% no joke! it almost looks like two cones stuck together LOL There is a culet at one end and a table at the other, and you can tell which is bigger, but not by tons LOL

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 10:27:33 PM
Author: kcoursolle

Thanks kcoursolle, hopefully I will have better pictures in the future that actually capture the stone.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 11:20:19 PM

Date: 3/26/2007 10:27:33 PM
Author: kcoursolle

Thanks kcoursolle, hopefully I will have better pictures in the future that actually capture the stone.
how long are they thinking it will take, jeff?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results