shape
carat
color
clarity

cushion or round brilliant ? pricing? Any idea?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Any idea on how the pricing goes for cushion cut vs r.b? Also certificate what are the best proportions for cushion cut ? Any input is apprecieated.Thanks

chicagolawyer

Rough_Rock
I''m far from an expert, so hopefully they''ll chime in.

From what I know, price per carat is less for fancy shapes than for round brilliants.

If you do a search for "cushion cut" in the forum you''ll find some good explanations of all the various types. Here are two good threads to start:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/depth-table-question.50398/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-cushion-by-any-other-name.36001/

I had no idea that there were multiple types of cushions before I came to this forum. I don''t think there are generally applicable ideal numbers for a cushions like there are for rbs. It seems like a lot of people like table and depth to be b/t 60-65%, with depth being about 3% more. I''m curious now, would that recc hold true for all types of cushions?

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
thanks how to find that topic id? to read? can''t get it right...

chicagolawyer

Rough_Rock
When I cut and paste those two links into my browser they take me to the correct threads.

One more thing I''ll add --> We just bought a cushion brilliant for my e-ring with the following specs:

1.5 E VS2
67.8% depth
53% table
Med-Thk girdle
EX polish
EX symmetry
Med culet
No flr

A lot of people would say the table is super small compared to the depth (I think they would at least), and some people wouldn''t like the med culet. The stone may face up small, but to me it looked AMAZING in person, and that was after I''d compared it to 10 other cushion brilliants w/varying specs.

Basically, my point is that w/ fancies, numbers definitely are important, but what you personally like after you''ve compared several stones is important too.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
cushions per carat are cheaper than rounds, but usually face up smaller than rounds.

Also, the general look to these stones is quite different. I would choose based on your personal preferences. Ideal cut rounds will give more light reflection than the typical cushion, but if you like the look better that''s what counts.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 12:19:38 AM
Author: chicagolawyer
I''m far from an expert, so hopefully they''ll chime in.

From what I know, price per carat is less for fancy shapes than for round brilliants.

If you do a search for ''cushion cut'' in the forum you''ll find some good explanations of all the various types. Here are two good threads to start:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/depth-table-question.50398/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-cushion-by-any-other-name.36001/

I had no idea that there were multiple types of cushions before I came to this forum. I don''t think there are generally applicable ideal numbers for a cushions like there are for rbs. It seems like a lot of people like table and depth to be b/t 60-65%, with depth being about 3% more. I''m curious now, would that recc hold true for all types of cushions?
bah, I hate retyping posts that get messed up during submit lol
anyway, I like older style but if I were to pull numbers out of my bum I would say 65-70% for depth, under 60% for table, prefer 50-55, and crowns over 15%, prefer 20% or more if you can find it. But these really are just pulled out of the air and don''t mean much , you have to use your eyes.... some of the newer cuts might do just fine with shallower depths, larger tables, and shorter crowns.... besides it''s very much about personal tastes.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 12:30:06 AM
When I cut and paste those two links into my browser they take me to the correct threads.

One more thing I''ll add --> We just bought a cushion brilliant for my e-ring with the following specs:

1.5 E VS2
67.8% depth
53% table
Med-Thk girdle
EX polish
EX symmetry
Med culet
No flr

A lot of people would say the table is super small compared to the depth (I think they would at least), and some people wouldn''t like the med culet. The stone may face up small, but to me it looked AMAZING in person, and that was after I''d compared it to 10 other cushion brilliants w/varying specs.

Basically, my point is that w/ fancies, numbers definitely are important, but what you personally like after you''ve compared several stones is important too.
hehe I wouldn''t - mine is 66% D and 53% table :) I love that! I wish I knew what type of cut you got!!

chicagolawyer

Rough_Rock
It's a cushion brilliant on the GIA cert, "B" in the picture. While I haven't seen the stone in almost two months it does look most like the photo example of "B" too. It will arrive tomorrow and I'm hoping to get it very soon, so I'll post pics ASAP.
36.gif

Great to know that your stone has similar specs! I'm sure it is gorgeous!

cushion12345.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 1:35:57 AM
It''s a cushion brilliant on the GIA cert, ''B'' in the picture. While I haven''t seen the stone in almost two months it does look most like the photo example of ''B'' too. It will arrive tomorrow and I''m hoping to get it very soon, so I''ll post pics ASAP.
36.gif

Great to know that your stone has similar specs! I''m sure it is gorgeous!
I can''t wait to see them! mine is cut like an old mine cut so it''s different than those 3 in the pic. I love cushions :)

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
thanks to you.I have seen one cushion at Tiffany ( legacy ) it was really stunning.I have not yet seen any loose cushion cut diamonds.From what I have seen that style looked quite beautiful and probably not easy to make? They told me at tiffany that many are copied , but their customers say its never the same as their own one.Thanks you guys always so many ideas here and tutorials. More later as I see some stones will post again. Thanks so much..

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
The diamentions you gave here how do they relate to carat? What would be carat size ? Was setting did you use? Just wondering...

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks , somehow my browser won''t take me there?

MMM

Brilliant_Rock
Isn''t the legacy a certain type of cushion? At least the one that I looked at was a cushion shape, but had more of an acher cut uderside, like with the step look.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 11:19:50 AM
Author: scarleta
Thanks , somehow my browser won''t take me there?
The thread is titled "Advice on GOG Cushion Cut " and its in RockyTalky

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
thanks to all for your help..Will check it out..

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 12:05:25 AM
Author:scarleta
Any idea on how the pricing goes for cushion cut vs r.b? Also certificate what are the best proportions for cushion cut ? Any input is apprecieated.Thanks
just would add with ROUNDS the big price jump occurs from SIs to VSs. with fancies the big price jump occurs from H colors to G colors.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results