shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Experts - Test Your Cushion Knowledge (with Pics)!!

Ravens25

Rough_Rock
I've been searching for a cushion for almost a year now. PS is an invaluable resource and I've read many of the guides and posts with interest. I now consider myself somewhat of an "informed novice". After watching prices skyrocket since this time last year, I am now contemplating buying a stone to fit a setting I acquired from another PS member at a great price. Although, timing is not critical; so I have some time to find the perfect stone and won't pull the trigger until I do. I am working with a PS vendor whom I trust and has a great reputation. He has initially sourced me 3 stones:

Pricescope%203%20Stones_2.jpg

I am not going to reveal any specs or post any certs yet, but want to see if anyone from the PS crew can identify the colors or any issues with the stones. And help me make a decision on which is the best stone. I personally, have one that I think may be better than the others.

Hint 1: The stones are 3 different colors (G, H and I) can you guess which?

As an added bonus here's a lineup of 5 stones which include the 3 above:

Pricescope%205%20Stones.jpg

Pricescope%205%20Stones%20(Side).jpg

SouthPhiladelphia

Rough_Rock
Re: Cushion Experts - Test Your Cushion Knowledge (with Pics

I'm not an expert, but I think the center stone may be the I. And the left the G. I may be wrong, but none of the stones really stick out as phenomenal to me.

smokey99

Shiny_Rock

I would guess that from your initial picture (diamonds being A, B, and C...) that in the bottom lineup of five A is the first stone, B is the second stone and C is the fifth stone. I would also guess that A is the G color, B is the H color and C is the I color stone.
:confused:

slg47

Ideal_Rock

my favorite is the one on the left, followed by the one in the middle. i have no idea which one is which color.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock

1st one would be my choice. Don't like the one in the middle. If the first stone wasn't available then the 3rd stone.
I think from left to right G, H and I colours.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Re. guessing colour - no, nor is there any point in trying. If we all had clones of those stones and GIA grading setups in front of us that would make it an interesting experiment.

Stones - 2 & 3 have way too much mush under the tables. That mush will look just like that IRL - won't *do* anything, won't return light or add interest through contrast, just kinda sits there lifeless... mush will also highlight body colour, depending on how big those stones are and how sensitive your eyes are that may be more or less of a concern...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Didn't read what the game is but ..

1. Can't really tell color from these photos
2. Won't buy any of the 3 diamonds but if I had to pick ... the one on the left.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Love the one on the left. It looks like the G color to me, but it's too hard to tell.

Ravens25

Rough_Rock

All, thanks for your feedback! This should help:

Pricescope%203%20Stones_3.jpg

Pricescope%205%20Stones_0.jpg

Pricescope%205%20Stones%20(Side)_0.jpg

Stone 1 - 2.41 G VS2

Stone 2 - 2.75 H VS1

Stone 3 - 3.01 I VS2

Unfortunately, these 3 seem to be the best this vendor was able to source in my price range. Interestingly enough, the 2.41 and the 2.75 have the same measurements for length and width, but the 2.75 appears larger to me? Anyone else?

I have some concerns about Stone 1. Particularly, the inclusions. They are hard to see in the pics, but this may help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBGD4fe74j4 Particularly, 2 o'clock on the table (can be seen at the very beginning and end of video)

Here is a video of Stone 2 which may help to show clarity and sparkle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNuaOT6gGSY

To be honest, I am not so hot on any of the three, but am somewhat critical and don't have an immediate need to buy (other than further price increases if that is the case). Can someone talk me in or out of a particular stone?

Yssie, can you elaborate on the *mush*, does it show in the videos?

slg47

Ideal_Rock

the mush is the area where the faceting is not clear and it looks...well...like mush.

I think the reason 1 and 2 have the same measurements but 1 looks smaller is because 1 is more rounded and 2 is more square?

if you don't love any of these, then keep looking.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yup, what slg said. It's not a technical term or anything (as far as I know 8) ) You can see it really well in the stills actually -

I have some antique stones and I have pretty strong views on mush - I think it's one of the most unforgiving and unflattering artifacts you can find... some pics of my own slightly mushy stone here [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/my-studs-are-growing-up-t165839-30.html']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/my-studs-are-growing-up-t165839-30.html[/URL]

Pricescope%203%20Stones_3.jpg

Ravens25

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the clarification. I think the inclusions on the 2.43 might be a deal breaker for me. It also looks like the "mush" of the other two might be an issue. How significantly will the "mush" affect the optics/performance?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for stones? I'm looking for a more "spready" square-ish stone which is why the 3.01 appealed to me - even though it is an I. The other two stones have l/w under 8mmx8mm. I'm working with a PS vendor I trust, but this was all that he was able to track down.

Interestingly enough, I was contacted by an ebay seller who has a stone they describe as: "This diamond does not show that crushed ice effect that poorly cut cushion cut diamonds have. The facets in this diamond are perfect." And is willing to make a deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cushion-Cut...t=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item45fd491d82

Somehow, I disagree. Thoughts?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

That eBay cushion has a modern cut, so it's a very different kind of cushion than the ones you originally posted. Do you prefer the antique look? If so, I'd pass on the eBay cushion.

Ravens25

Rough_Rock

The eBay vendor emailed me with another stone available. He claims it is a "antique style" non-crushed ice stone with premium optics.

3.02HVS2%20(ebay).png

I am a little skeptical, the GIA cert says cushion modified brilliant, with only VG, G polish and sym and a medium blue fluor. And the table is 73%.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

That cushion looks very modern to me. Any experts willing to weigh in?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Haven|1319469992|3046597 said:

If that is "antique style" then my name is Bozo. :tongue:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

+1 to Jon and Haven
No way that cushion could be described as "antique"

Plus, the seller is (ab)using the term "optics"
Please ask him what "premium optics" means

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Rhino|1319474451|3046651 said:

:bigsmile:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rhino|1319474451|3046651 said:

Agreed!

Ravens25

Rough_Rock

Wanted to get some thoughts on these two stones:

2%20Stone%20Compare.jpg

2%20Stone%20Compare%20(Side).jpg

They are both about the same carat weight. The left is an H and the right is a G. The measurements on the G (on the right) are about .3mm longer on each l and w. But the H looks bigger face up to me? Is this possible?

The table on the H (left) is 55% and the G (right) is 45%. From the side view the G (right) really looks like an odd shape with that super high crown. Any issues with this?

What do you think about them?

mogster

Shiny_Rock

I really like the one on the left. It looks bigger probably because it has fuller corners.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock

I think the larger looking one on the left is due IMO to the fuller corners, more square and less rounded. The one on the right I like because it has a smaller table/higher crown height which I personally prefer. Could you see a video of them side by side ?

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock

mogster|1319843075|3049684 said:
I really like the one on the left. It looks bigger probably because it has fuller corners.

Exactly, the one on the right has a more rounded shape, the one on the left is more square so you have more corner to corner width. Same as one of the other stones you posted earlier, you asked if the squarer one looked bigger than the more rounded cushion, it's the corners making the difference.
I don't like the one on the right myself, not the shape or the facets, especially the culet shape.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

Ravens25|1319840280|3049666 said:
Wanted to get some thoughts on these two stones:

2%20Stone%20Compare.jpg

2%20Stone%20Compare%20(Side).jpg

They are both about the same carat weight. The left is an H and the right is a G. The measurements on the G (on the right) are about .3mm longer on each l and w. But the H looks bigger face up to me? Is this possible?

The table on the H (left) is 55% and the G (right) is 45%. From the side view the G (right) really looks like an odd shape with that super high crown. Any issues with this?

What do you think about them?

Ravens which one appeals more to you?

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

Those "inclusions" will not be seen by the naked eye when you show people your ring. This Leon Mege on youtube is great and chunky and it is an:
I SI 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkYNVByjwz8&feature=related

The bigger the better to me as long as has great sinctillation. G, H, I , will be white in your ring and people will NEVER be comparing your well cut cushion to another stone..white is white. Choose two stones...the two that your concierge likes the best and get the asets done.

Check out that girls 5 year anniversary ring...5carat J from Leon...it is awesome...the J looks great and very white in her halo setting.

Check out GOG when he compares color to color. barely noticeable.

You want well cut stone that faces up large and eye clean and has the most sparkle and brilliance. GOG also has videos on clarity. It may not be as important as you are attempting to make it. Good luck! Hope this helps...btw...only one of your videos is still up and no video on your I vs.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I haven't read any of the above comments (disclaimer!).

I like stone number 2. For me it appears to have the nicest cut and faceting. I don't like 3 as the table is too high and deep.

I have no idea which colour is which as it's impossible to say from a photo with any accuracy so I'm not even going to guess. If I was buying blind and only had the photos, it would be #2 for me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results