shape
carat
color
clarity

cushion dimensions?

danfitz36

Rough_Rock
i know you really can't judge a cushion by the dimensions but i came across a stone online that i won't be able to get an ASET on and i'm trying to gage how this stone will lok in real life. it's 1.54ct but the width and length are both near 6.95 which seem very big to me. depth is 4.65 and i'm not sure where that really should be. is this a really wide and shallow stone that might not sparkle properly? or is it still within a normal range?

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
It's not "you really can't judge a cushion by the dimensions", it's simply you cannot judge a cushion by the dimensions. No matter how "good" the dimensions are, it can still be "poo poo" when you see it.

The only information I can calulate is the depth from what you've given me. It looks like it's 66.9% deep, I think!

What does the certificate say about it's depth and table percentage? Do you have ANY more information? even a picture? Any picture?

danfitz36

Rough_Rock
Screen-shot-2011-04-29-at-10.33.51-AM.jpg

that's the best picture i have. i also know the table is 58% and the depth is 66.7%. Thin to Slightly Thick, Faceted, very good polish and symmetry.

i know it could go either way even with great dimensions, i was just assuming that there are some dimensions that really can't be perfect and wanted to check to see if these were outside that ideal.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Well, if you're question is whether the dimensions are way outside of the range of "normal", no - it is not. The ranges seem fine. The table is on the smaller end, and some people have personal preferences towards a 58% table. Usually it's more common to see that type of number on an antique stone with a high crown. Your stone is modern faceted - but it comes down to personal preference, in my opinion anyway. It seems to have a great spread.

Does it have flourescence? Is it GIA graded?

danfitz36

Rough_Rock
it is GIA... faint fluorescence, G color VVS1 clarity. i think it's a great deal, but without actually seeing the stone it's hard to pull the trigger.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Is there a great return policy?

It looks like this ring is set already, so I guess you've bought it? If not, personally, I tend to stay away from VVS stones. It's very rare for anyone to see any negative effect from even VS stones (inclusion-and location dependent, of course - like a small black inclusion in the middle of the table will be visible). But there are many lower clarity stones where the inclusions are effectively invisible. I tend to think of almost all VS stones as safe (eye-clean), and Si's requiring more investigation.

My cushion in the avatar is a Si2 stone. It has a prongable feather, which now that it's pronged, is no longer visible. Even unset, the inclusion was difficult to see even when you searched for it.

I understand some people have cultural reasons for a VVS/IF stone or a "mind clean" issue. I just preferred not to pay the price when my eyes couldn't see the difference.

danfitz36

Rough_Rock
it just scares me that i'm looking at other 1.5ish carat stones and the measurements are closer to 6.5x6.5x4.6 and this one is almost 7x7x4.6. it seems very wide, but if the stone still sparkles i guess the width is only a good thing.

danfitz36

Rough_Rock
can i ask how much you would pay for a stone like this on the secondary market? i have the option, but it's still a big stretch of my budget and i need someone to confirm that i'm getting a good deal.

I would greatly appreciate any responses in the next few minutes as i'm very close to buying this today

thanks for the help.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do a PS search to find out retail prices. On the secondary market you should pay less than 50% full retail for the diamond.

Make sure to meet the seller at an appraiser of your choosing, whom you will pay, so you can verify the diamond is in perfect condition, is real, and matches the report that comes with it. Verufy this information before you buy it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results