shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aprile

Rough_Rock
I am a bit lost & since I will be purchasing cushions would appreciate some clarification.

Here is my understanding:
The cushion cut was popular from the early 1800''s till the turn of the century. It is a squarish/oval shape with rounded corners. The culet is open which gives it depth. The open culet, combined with the faceting, gives the cushion a softer glow than the modern brilliant cuts. I''ve read that the depth & faceting of a cushion "draw" you into it. I also read that the "numbers" (while important to a degree) don''t impact a cushion as much as they would a modern brilliant; that the "look" is the primary deciding factor.

So my question is, have I interpreted the articles correctly?

Also, I know that cushion cut diamonds are regaining popularity. While still available in antique pieces, new ones are being cut. I am *assuming* this is because of demand. Is this correct?

Thanks,
A

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
HI so I don't have many answers but am a Cushion lover too..I had trouble getting info specs...'oldminer' who posts here may have more...especially on the more antique stones cuts

I fell in love with a modernish cushion the Regent...it is a modified square brilliant with hearts and arrows...it had the quiet elegance of the cushion and the brilliance and fire are great

I posted a pic of my finished ring in a previos thread...

Best of luck in your search

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi had problem posting before..

Cushion lover too...'oldminer' may have more infor for you

I got a Regent...subtle elegance of cushion...with great fire and brilliance...

I posted a pic previouisly..or see my avatar...

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi had problem posting before..

Cushion lover too...'oldminer' may have more infor for you

I got a Regent...subtle elegance of cushion...with great fire and brilliance...

I posted a pic previouisly..or see my avatar...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Check this out too:

http://www.nelsonrarities.com/dir01-12/cushioncut.html

That is a cushion cut stone. See them in person, they are very beautiful--like a myriad of small sparkles and facets. The culet is often visible as the circle in the center of the stone looking down through the table.

1.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The most famous old cushion is the regent in the French crown jewels.
The most perfect of these is the modren regent cut, which is a squarish round with hearts and arrows and light return rivalling the best rounds.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Hm. I don't think of cushion-cuts as old cuts necessarily. When I try to picture a cushion cut, the easiest thing for me to visualize is something like a sapphire. I see many more cushion-shaped colored stones than I do diamonds. Then I just extrapolate what *that* looks like to a diamond.

Did I just confuse everyone?

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
I'm wondering why they aren't seen more often in diamonds.
I absolutely LOVE the cushion cut and would have definately chosen one for my e-ring if I was an knowledgable then as I am now about such things.
16.gif

My fav cuts
1 - cushion
2 - radiant
3 - round
4 - emerald
I'll stop at 4.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
The reason, I believe, that cushion-cuts aren't seen more often in diamonds is that for many people one of the main attractions of the diamonds is in its "sparkle." A traditional cushion cut, with it's broader planes, shows off the color in precious stones really well, but it doesn't come close to maximizing brilliance, fire, or scintillation.

Aprile

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback everyone....most appreciated.

A designer who created a custom piece for someone has kindly agreed to recreate it for me.
3.gif
I asked him for specs of the stone so that I could begin looking...that was when I discovered it was a cushion, which was somewhat of a surprise as it is a modern piece.

Hopefully oldminer will be able to contribute as from your posts it appears unanimous...he's the "omc" man!

A

Edited to add: Hest I hear you re: the colored gemstones. While I was researching I ran across some gorgeous cushions...there were 2 on Bijoux's site that were breathtaking! I'm an infrequent poster & not sure about the policy of posting items from other sites so here are the links:
http://www.jewelryexpert.com/catalog/Cushion-cut-Sapphire-Engraved-Ring-sr.htm

http://www.jewelryexpert.com/catalog/Cushion-cut-Sapphire-Engraved-Ring-sr.htm

The tanzanite is especially lovely I think.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/19/2003 2:49:05 PM Aprile wrote:

Thanks for the feedback everyone....most appreciated.

A designer who created a custom piece for someone has kindly agreed to recreate it for me.
3.gif
I asked him for specs of the stone so that I could begin looking...that was when I discovered it was a cushion, which was somewhat of a surprise as it is a modern piece.
----------------

This was so good looking I could not keep the picture for myself...It is a fresh-cut stone in somewhat 'antique' style.

asdas.JPG

cushionsearcher

Rough_Rock
That is such a beautiful picture of a cushion-cut diamond. Where is that from? I too am looking for a cushion cut diamond, but am nervous about purchasing a stone without seeing it in person, and every B&M store I've gone to never has more than 1 or 2 stones available to look at.

I would definitely consider the Regent except that I want a stone that is more rectangular than squarish, so a cushion with a length/width ratio od 1.2:1 is really what I'm looking for. If anyone can give me any ideas on how to judge an on-line diamond strictly by it's #'s, I'd greatly appreciate it! I know there are ideal proportions out there for fancy cut diamonds, but they don't specify #'s for cushions.

Thanks in advance for the help.
wavey.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/3/2003 1:57:24 PM cushionsearcher wrote:

That is such a beautiful picture of a cushion-cut diamond. Where is that from? If anyone can give me any ideas on how to judge an on-line diamond strictly by it's #'s, I'd greatly appreciate it! I know there are ideal proportions out there for fancy cut diamonds, but they don't specify #'s for cushions.
src="https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/images/smilies/wavey.gif">----------------

That comes from Diamondsbylauren (and I have nothing to do with the guy, but there don't seem to be that many cushions on dislplay... and well, the shop owner doesn't like his pictured reposted but I could not help it!). There are no numbers for cushions. The cut does not have particularly strong light return (also there is some potential), so instead of number, getting an Idealscope to judge light return during the return period on your stone might be the only way to go.

The Regent and Cushette cuts are cushion cuts with light return in mind: they are both nice BRANDS. I have no idea how much and wether there is a premium on the regent. The other certainy caries one. Hope I am not repeating myself here. Mara has just got a little Regent...the Regents available have no prices listed (one is suposed to ask for it).

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, well... Did you see THIS ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results