shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Cuts - Decision Time

Lmwsp13

Rough_Rock
Wanted to thank the wonderful PS community for its help and education. From my interactions here and the information shared, I was able to down-select to 2 diamonds, from which I need to chose a winner this week.

I will share the color and clarity specs later but, first, I wanted to get the group's opinions on cut / performance:

Stone 1
Shape: Cushion Brilliant (8 main)
Size: 7.5^2

Stone 2
Shape: Cushion Modified Brilliant (4 main)
Size: 7.3^2

Stone 2 (ASET below) is bright, very bright, in all lighting environments. Even in very poor lighting, the perimeter of the stone is well-defined. The facets turn on and off, toggling between shades of white (vs. black to white) but the facet structure is clear & defined and not lost, as it often is in crushed ice stones.

By comparison, Stone 1 appears darker; however, it has chunkier facets and shows more rainbow. This stone appears to have more depth & complexity and reminds me of a very lively asscher. It's perimeter fades, with the stone losing shape in low lighting but the flashes continue.

To illustrate the illumination / reflection differences, in the dark, I walked backward from a lit room until both stones dissappeared. Stone 1 dissappeared 1/2 way along this path.

Stone 2's sparkles are smaller but more abundant.

Experts, please advise. I understand that 8 mains are relatively rare and sought after. Please disregard this in your assessment. My bride-to-be will have no appreciation for rarity. I simply want to get her the stone that will perform "the best" -- however this concept is defined.

Thank you again for the invaluable assistance.

cmb13.png

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have the other ASET?

Lmwsp13

Rough_Rock
telephone89|1456937422|3998492 said:
Do you have the other ASET?

Unfortunately I do not but I will have the opportunity to view it under an ASET scope early this afternoon. Do you have any initial thoughts based on the description above?

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock
Definitely need the images to assess the quality of any cushion. Also, 8 mains aren't exact rare anymore either. Supply is catching up with demand. Sites like cushionbrilliant.com feature lots of them and Enchanted Diamonds has quite a few as well. GOG also has a new line of 8 main cushions available as well (you might want to inquire with them directly to see what's available).

The 4 main posted looks lovely but is a tad smaller facing at 7.3 (vs. 7.5). These diamonds are normally well cut and perform marvelously though. Let's see the pictures on the first stone when you get it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
So, I want to thank LMW for giving me the opportunity to help him (since he is local to me) with his quest.

I've gotten to see four lovely but very different stones at 2 carats and I personally have learned a lot from this.

Today I really got to see in action how much difference performance of the crown can make in a cushion's appearance. We looked at the stones FIRST without scopes or anything. Just seeing how the perform in the different lighting conditions and what we observed with our naked eyes. Because after all, that's how the stone will be worn.

LMW had the 4 main and two 8 mains. As you can see from the ASET above the main has edge to edge sparkle and brilliance. The 8 mains, while there are no vendor ASETs, when viewed through my ASET had strong red centers and bright green crown facets flecked with a little red.

The thing that really hit me was that the 7.5 and the 7.3 looked easily the same size because the 7.5 didn't have that edge definition and crisp brightness of the outside facets. And once you got over the fireball performance under the table and particularly in either full sun, or low light the contrast was really apparent.

While we do not have an ASET of the others. The below ASET (which is not of an 8 main) is very similar in distribution of color that I observed under the ASET of the two 8 mains.

I think they would be perfectly nice in a HW setting, that would define the edges of the stone and 'bling it out' where the performance is not as strong. And they were definitely above average (we saw some very average cushions in person as well). But they were not up to a head to head performance battle with the 4 main with the edge to edge flashlight of fire performance.

And let me tell you, I was really surprised at how much the difference mattered.

post-5339-1236912828.jpg

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, I've been following your journey and I have to say it's been really interesting and I'm impressed with the effort you've put into choosing a stellar stone. I really can't wait to see the end result and your happy girlfriend's hand shot.

I loved reading your descriptions of the 4 main and the 8 main you're deciding between. Without photos and honestly without seeing them in person it's impossible for us to help you choose because you're deciding between 2 amazing cushions that are different from each other but still beautiful in their own right. Just going on what your girlfriend gravitates toward, which one do you think she'd love more? From your description and Gypsy's I'm leaning toward the 4 main cushion. I think the edge to edge brightness and the crispness of it would be stunning in the settings you've linked in your previous thread. It would just shine and sparkle all day long and the solitaire would allow it to take center stage and be the star. But really, that's saying so without actually seeing the stones.

Sounds like you can't go wrong. Go with your gut. Go with the one that speaks to you and the one you feel your girlfriend will adore. Excited for you!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to say that 4 main aset posted by the OP has more red in it then any cushion I've seen. I can completely understand
the edge to edge brightness with that stone. I think you are just down to flavor. If your GF doesnt care to much about the
flavor then the 4 main would be an excellent pick. Some PSers might care more about the flavor and still want an 8 main over
a 4 but that doesnt seem like it matters in your case. I dont think Gypsy could lead you wrong in either case.

Lmwsp13

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1456979940|3998939 said:
So, I want to thank LMW for giving me the opportunity to help him (since he is local to me) with his quest.

Thanks Gypsy, the pleasure was all mine. I learned a ton and your feedback along the way has been incredibly helpful. I've filled in the rest of the stats below. Stone 2 shipped to SK today :@)

(thanks also to JDDN, tyty333, noscrusir)

Stone 1
Shape: Cushion Brilliant (8 main)
Size: 7.5^2
Color: G
Clarity: VVS1

Stone 2
Shape: Cushion Modified Brilliant (4 main)
Size: 7.3^2
Color: E
Clarity: VS2

I wanted to give a shout out to cushionbrilliant.com, which, taking into account about 10 other interactions, had the best customer service and highest quality stones I've seen during this process.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
::)

Great feedback on cushionbrilliant.com. I have a new vendor to search and recommend.

I can NOT wait to see the final ring. I already know it's going to be one of my favorites ever.

Take care, the worst part of the process (decision of stone) is behind you and your lady is a seriously lucky one-- to have you AND the ring to come.

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on a great diamond! That 4 main cushion looks exactly like the diamond I bought for my fiance a few years ago. Brings a tear to my eye ::)

Can't wait to see the final ring!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome, this is great news and very exciting. Also, thank you for the feedback on cushionbrilliant.com, sounds like a great vendor.

Cannot wait to see the SK masterpiece and the gorgeous cushion you chose. And hand shots....don't forget to come back and post hand shots, lol. All the best on your up coming proposal!!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What a fantastic shopping/learning experience you have had. And you have a very lucky fiance. Congratulations.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results