shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Patrol

Rough_Rock
Up until now I have only been looking at round brilliant stones, but it has been brought to my attention that my girlfriend is extremely fond of the Cushion Cut with Halo setting (eg. Tiffany Legacy ring). Now, I know that it is possibly to get a sqaure cut H&A, but I have not found anything within my price range 11-14k. I did find the following rectangular cushion cut diamond that looks pretty good:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5315/

but I can''t seem to bring myself away from H&A. Would you advise sticking with H&A, or would the above diamond be a good purchase?

Thank you for helping me as I work through this. It would be so much easier to simply ask my girlfriend, but I really want to make this purcahse without tipping her off. I appreciate the insight, Patrol

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
That diamond will be a beautiful choice, but just so you are aware the Legacy is a square stone that isn't quite a cushion, so it won't look exactly like it, esp. because this stone is rectangular.

But this one is gorgeous, no worries on this choice! Jon picks beautiful stones. Personally I prefer a great cushion over a square H&A any day, but it's all a personal preference.

geoffreysnow

Shiny_Rock
It's a very nice stone! Back when Sarah at GOG was recommending stones this one was presented as Canadian, so I don't know if that's important or not to you but it could be an added bonus

I'm also sure you've seen the vids comparing square h&a cushions to regular cushions can be found under the cushion tag:
http://www.vimeo.com/tag:cushioncutdiamonds

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she said she likes cushion...then I'd go cushion (and that is a pretty one). However, cushions can
be cut all different ways and have a few different looks. I read a great thread about the different
cuts. I personally like the big chuncky ones but thats just personal. If you like a brilliant cut you
might like the oneof the other cuts. Let me go off and see if I can find that thread for you.

Edit - here is one thread

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-cushion-by-any-other-name.36001/

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
I agree with TyTy. If she wants a cushion that''s what I would get. It is a very different style from a RB. I''m a cushion girl and would not be as happy with a RB because that''s not my style. I mean, they''re beautiful but they''re just not for me. The one I ordered came from James Allen and they have GREAT prices so I''m sure you''d be able to find something great in you price range. Good luck! :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 6:02:58 PM
Author: neatfreak
That diamond will be a beautiful choice, but just so you are aware the Legacy is a square stone that isn''t quite a cushion, so it won''t look exactly like it, esp. because this stone is rectangular.

But this one is gorgeous, no worries on this choice! Jon picks beautiful stones. Personally I prefer a great cushion over a square H&A any day, but it''s all a personal preference.
Ditto, looks beautiful!!

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
I must agree, if she prefers cushions, think seriously about going with a cushion. It is a very different "animal" than H&A (you are a H&A guy, she''s a cushion gal... Hey, what can you do?) I own and like both cushions and RBs (my favorite two shapes, actually), but, I like them for VERY different reasons.

If you DO decide to purchase a cushion shaped stone, remember, there are cushions and, then, there are cushions! As already mentioned, the shapes are different – some more square, some more rectangular, some more ovalesque. And, the profile is just the beginning. There are cushions cut with a modern, brilliant type look to them, and cushions with a more old-fashioned, chunky faceting. One sizzles, the other glows.

You seem to have an eye for quality as well as aesthetics, I''m sure your GF will be elated with whatever diamond you choose. The diamond you posted is lovely, one that I''d be thrilled to own. Don''t fret about the H&A perfection stuff... there are MANY types and different shapes and cuts of drop-dead, gorgeous, worthy diamonds. You''re on the right track!
35.gif

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Agree with all above...that cushion is really, really nice! Have you watched it in the video? I think it really stands out...beautiful fire and sparkle!! It was one of the ones I was seriously considering from GOG, but decided I''m gonna wait and save for a little bigger. (Not that that one isn''t a very nice size!)

I think you should go for it, then you can show her the video afterward to really seal the deal "oh how it sparkles"! Hee hee!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results