shape
carat
color
clarity

cushion cut help needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cushionboy

Rough_Rock
folks- what are the most important cut proportions(table %, culet, depth %, girdle) when looking for the perfect 2.5 carat cushion cut or old mine diamond? And is there a difference between the cushion and old mine? What should it say on the GIA cert under shape and style?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't think anyone can really give you specs on an older cushion cut diamond. What you need to do is make sure YOU and the person that might receive it LOVE the way it looks. It should not have a lot of white inside the table which would be the reflected image of the rough girdle. That would compromise brilliancy. It also ought not to be extremely deep or it will be a blackish lump rather than a brilliant stone. A properly cut old cut cushion will be like any other round or cushion diamond, brilliant, sparkly and have some spectral display of colors that we call dispersion.Only by looking at several will you train your eye to the characteristic appearance of these stones. The brilliant component will be rather blocky shaped rather than needle-like as found in most modern cut stones. The flashes will be larger, in other words. That's normal in these old cuts. What you want to avoid is lack of brightness.I hope this helps.------------------
David Atlas
Accredited Gem Appraisers

cushionfinder

Rough_Rock
Hi, Atlas is right. It's the look and personality of the stone that counts.

Cushionfinder

csmarty

Rough_Rock
Hi

I was looking at a gorgeous 2.1 VVS/H-I cushion cut today and noticed that if you look directly down into the diamond, you can see a black dot where the culet is. Does this mean that its a flaw or that its a bad cut? It was a very old diamond and the jeweler told me that was why you could see the culet (black dot) and that he could get it recut so that you wouldn't see the black anymore. It was really pretty, and the black dot probably wouldn't even bother me that much, i just want to make sure that it doesn't mean its a flaw or that it is a bad cut. All of the cushions I've seen on line look like they have an "open" culet (?) and you ca'nt see the small black dot. Any help or advice is appreciated! The stone was very very beautiful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results