Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion cut - cushion comfort

Airbags

Rough_Rock
Joined
Nov 18, 2016
Messages
4
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on popping the question, and of course that comes with a big purchase.

Close relative and her family would only want the best in terms of the four Cs, I did make this purchase fully aware I would not be getting the best 'bang for buck'.

Admittedly I am still looking around for comparative diamonds and thinking about the diamond I purchased, was it the right choice.

Hoping someone would chime in and comment on the diamond, should I utilise James Allen return policy? Or is this a keeper?
I don't have the ring as of yet, it is still in transit. Any comment or input would be greatly appreciated :) hoping to be more of a regular around here.

$4900 it costs me

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.90-carat-d-color-vvs1-clarity-sku-1062669

Thanks !
 

ResearchAddictNoob

Rough_Rock
Joined
Nov 18, 2016
Messages
6
Not an expert by ANY means. Just someone who as of Tuesday was in your position. I got the ring Wednesday, and let me tell ya... all the jitters are normal! Just wait until you get it, especially since their return policy is extended until January.

personally your diamond is really pretty- X Symmetry and Polish and color, im not an expert on cut but it looks nice. I prefer a different facet pattern, but yours is really nice so just wait and see!

Did you get an ASET from James Allen? It is a light return report that can help too.

Be patient and Good luck :) :dance:
 

dazzlerazzle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Aug 25, 2016
Messages
130
I'm not an expert either - but I'll chime in to say I think it's very pretty. I personally would prefer an F and slightly larger stone if that was findable - but of course, you only have so many options to choose from!

As is, you made sure to get an excellent cut stone, super white, super clear. I can't see how your SO could possibly be disappointed if you KNOW she wants: cushion, 1:1 ratio, super white, super clear.

I say so long as you KNOW that, because preferences can vary widely.

I'd want an ideal cut, kinda white, kinda clear, 1:1.1 ratio. (I/VS2) - plus, I'd want antique cut, but that particular preference is rare out there in the big wide world. :lol:

If you DO decide to switch, I'd go for this one: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.00-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-2168307

It's a little bit more, but your girl can say "1 carat" when asked, which is nice. And still very white and very clear. And very similar faceting - very pretty. :)

Good luck! I think she'll be so happy either way!
 

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Joined
Apr 25, 2013
Messages
592
Cushions cannot be bought by carat size alone- you need to look at measurements. So just so you know, the stone you picked is just over 5.5MM which since it's square, will look around the same as a .65-.7 round diamond. Not tiny by any means but not sure what you are expecting in terms of size.

Is this in a solitaire? A halo? Did she ask for a cushion?

I think the stone is lovely and the specs are great. But if it were up to me...

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.07-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-sku-923746

almost half a mm bigger, D color and still VS quality (Which from a cultural standpoint from what I know is required, just that it's VS)

Whatever you decide I am sure she will be floored at the thought you put into buying this!
 

absolutme77

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 3, 2016
Messages
184
I'm not an expert either and it is a pretty diamond but I found a few others. As others said, you need to look at the measurements and not the carat weight. They differ in facet pattern - do you know if your intended prefers a modern or antique look?

Here is a lovely antique cushion - it is smaller in weight but actually larger than your stone with 13% more surface area:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.78-carat-d-color-if-clarity-sku-1028634

Here is a modern cushion brilliant which should have properties in brilliance closer to a round with 16% more surface area (and is still a square shape)
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.00-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-2077848
 

Airbags

Rough_Rock
Joined
Nov 18, 2016
Messages
4
ResearchAddictNoob|1479502026|4100348 said:
Not an expert by ANY means. Just someone who as of Tuesday was in your position. I got the ring Wednesday, and let me tell ya... all the jitters are normal! Just wait until you get it, especially since their return policy is extended until January.

personally your diamond is really pretty- X Symmetry and Polish and color, im not an expert on cut but it looks nice. I prefer a different facet pattern, but yours is really nice so just wait and see!

Did you get an ASET from James Allen? It is a light return report that can help too.

Be patient and Good luck :) :dance:


Yes I suppose i won't be feeling 100% until it is in my hands. Unfortunately I didn't request an image, I probably should have been smarter :read:

Were you happy with the product you received ? :)
 

Airbags

Rough_Rock
Joined
Nov 18, 2016
Messages
4
dazzlerazzle|1479506535|4100377 said:
I'm not an expert either - but I'll chime in to say I think it's very pretty. I personally would prefer an F and slightly larger stone if that was findable - but of course, you only have so many options to choose from!

As is, you made sure to get an excellent cut stone, super white, super clear. I can't see how your SO could possibly be disappointed if you KNOW she wants: cushion, 1:1 ratio, super white, super clear.

I say so long as you KNOW that, because preferences can vary widely.

I'd want an ideal cut, kinda white, kinda clear, 1:1.1 ratio. (I/VS2) - plus, I'd want antique cut, but that particular preference is rare out there in the big wide world. :lol:

If you DO decide to switch, I'd go for this one: https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.00-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-2168307

It's a little bit more, but your girl can say "1 carat" when asked, which is nice. And still very white and very clear. And very similar faceting - very pretty. :)

Good luck! I think she'll be so happy either way!
WOW that's a lovely diamond, this will be on my exchange list if she isn't happy! *fingers crossed that she is*
 

Airbags

Rough_Rock
Joined
Nov 18, 2016
Messages
4
absolutme77|1479511839|4100408 said:
I'm not an expert either and it is a pretty diamond but I found a few others. As others said, you need to look at the measurements and not the carat weight. They differ in facet pattern - do you know if your intended prefers a modern or antique look?

Here is a lovely antique cushion - it is smaller in weight but actually larger than your stone with 13% more surface area:
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.78-carat-d-color-if-clarity-sku-1028634

Here is a modern cushion brilliant which should have properties in brilliance closer to a round with 16% more surface area (and is still a square shape)
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.00-carat-f-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-2077848
That 0.78 looking bigger than my 0.9 :shock: .Your post has me thinking about surface area, thanks for that it is something i will be keeping in mind next purchase. She has never taken a look into diamonds at such depth to determine an antique to a modern cut, all i know is she has a dislike to the 'crushed ice' look.
 

SpencerDane

Rough_Rock
Joined
Oct 18, 2016
Messages
33
I think the diamond you chose is lovely. However, speaking from a female point of view, I think the 1.07 diamond that dollyanjuli posted looks the prettiest of all that are shared here. Once your diamond comes in, you may find that it looks even better than what this video is showing.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Upgrade to Five-Stone
    Upgrade to Five-Stone
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart
    Tips for Black Friday Engagement Ring Shopping
    Tips for Black Friday Engagement Ring Shopping

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top