shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion cut blue topaz or aquamarine

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kimmyintexas

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone!

I am completely clueless about gemstones but I can tell there are many experts on here. I am thinking of having a replica of the Tiffany Legacy made with a blue topaz or aquamarine center stone. I would appreciate any help ya''ll (yes, I''m from Texas!) could give me. I really love the pale blue stones. Which one would you recommend? What size should I look for? I am thinking between 2.5 and 3 cts. for the "big" legacy look. Is it possible to buy one online or will I have to see it in person? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Kimberly

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m not sure how picky you are about gemstone treatment but blue topaz has been irradiated (nuked) to get the colour. They are also extremely cheap (just a few dollars). Aquamarine is those sizes and a pale shade should be fairly easy to source. You should not have any problems getting one online.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have a very nice cornflower blue sapphire too - that might be another option. I find aquamarines can look very pale so I wouldn''t pick it for a legacy type setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charmy, have you see a light coloured stone in the Legacy setting? How does it look? I ask this because the original poster, Kimberly, likes pale stones, which I thought an aqua would fit the bill perfectly.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my very light aqua cusion in an LOGR legacyesque mount. It's my stone and ring, so negative comments are acceptable. I don't mind, really.

polishedup_aqua_cushion2.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a PS'er's real deal - a true Tiffany &Co Legacy with an aqua. I posted this for comparison sake so you could see a deeper colored stone.

tiffany_legacy_aqua_hs2.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Call me crazy, but I'd take Tourmaline Lover's aqua LOGR legacy over Tiffany's. Not only do I prefer paler stones for larger sizes (they're more neutral and wearable to me), but I also like the look of the thinner halo. And, the cut of her aqua is gorgeous! So, TL scores one over Tiff's.
9.gif
36.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 8:48:14 PM
Author: cellentani
Call me crazy, but I'd take Tourmaline Lover's aqua LOGR legacy over Tiffany's. Not only do I prefer paler stones for larger sizes (they're more neutral and wearable to me), but I also like the look of the thinner halo. So, TL scores one over Tiff's.
9.gif
36.gif

Haha I actually went the other way! I like TL's aqua a lot - I like how the lighter color makes the ring look more delicate, if that makes sense, but for me, the deeper color pops out more.

In the end, I think it comes down a LOT to personal preference. Kimmy, if your preference is for the lighter colors, you can definitely find nicely cut aquas in a good price range. You can start by going to some of the well-regarded gem sites here to see if there's anything (others will add more sites that I'm sure I'm missing), such as:

http://www.acstones.com
http://www.customgemstones.com
http://www.precisiongem.com
http://www.finewatergems.com
http://www.whitesgems.com

And you can e-mail the cutters at those sites and see if they have anything not on the site, or have any rough. If you're looking at something between 2.5-3 ct. (so a little more substantial), you can try asking for a cushion between 7-9 mm (I have a 7 mm garnet which is a 1.98 ct cushion in a setting very similar to Tourmaline_Lovers - TL, is that the LOGR prong-set, or the LOGR bezel, or something different?) and it's pretty big on me (size 3.5). I just got a 10 mm stone to put in the same setting for my mom (it's a 5 ct. cushion amethyst) and that one is HUGE. She wears a size 7 but I think it'll be VERY substantial on her. Take a look around and see what you can find, and if you decide to e-mail the cutters directly, make sure you let them know you're looking for stones on the lighter side.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you very much
emsmile.gif
, but I am the opposite, I much rather have the darker aqua. I don't like light aquas, but again, it depends on what color saturation you like. When I purchased the stone, it was described to me as "medium" color, but it was light. I wasn't happy.

I just wanted to clarify to the forum that I wasn't really comparing the settings themselves, but the stones in the settings to give people an idea of the blue color saturation of a stone in a legacy style setting. I should have specified that originally.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
My comment was about my personal preference. I think TL's ring is gorgeous and with the two pictures I like her ring more. The thing is though I am drawn more to the cut of her stone than the colour. The cut looks nicer than the one in the Tiffany ring. If I can only pick one legacy ring, I would go with a vibrant stone. Now - if I had 2 or 3 .... heehehhehee ...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, the stone isn''t set into the ring. It''s lying on top of the ring because I don''t think the stone is worthy of the ring. I like the cutting (it''s USA cut), but color is really #1 to me, and if I don''t like the color of a stone, I don''t care how well it''s cut, I won''t set it. It''s still loose in a box. I have no clue if I''ll ever do anything with it except keep it in a box. It''s an ebay find, and I didn''t return it because I had a funny feeling about returning it and seeing my $$ back.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 10:47:52 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
BTW, the stone isn''t set into the ring. It''s lying on top of the ring because I don''t think the stone is worthy of the ring. I like the cutting (it''s USA cut), but color is really #1 to me, and if I don''t like the color of a stone, I don''t care how well it''s cut, I won''t set it. It''s still loose in a box. I have no clue if I''ll ever do anything with it except keep it in a box. It''s an ebay find, and I didn''t return it because I had a funny feeling about returning it and seeing my $$ back.
Does the stone want to visit with me? I will give it a good home :)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Kimmy, I''d like to point out some things, just to be sure. How often do you think of wearing it? If you''d like something for frequent wear (almost every day) aquamarine isn''t the best stone in terms of durability. In that case sapphire might be a better option, as someone already wrote. They''re not the same shade of blue, but can come pretty close, and the price difference isn''t very big. That''s another thing I wanted to mention. A 2.5-3 ct aquamarine can cost you anywhere from 20$/ct for those where you really have to look hard to see any blue (i.e. more blah than blue), to the finest ones which can even reach 700-800$/ct in the deepest shades; but most of the decent ones can be bought for 100-150$/ct. I''m not sure about prices cutters would charge. There are also light blue and green tourmalines to consider, as well as zircons, green beryls and mint garnets. All are pretty close in price and durability, and can exhibit nice pastel shades. Also bear in mind that such a ring design, with lots of small diamonds, is not suitable for frequent wear either.

If you stick with aquamarine, it''s important to remember they should be as clean as possible, much more so than most other stones (think icicles). Color should be even throughout the stone, with no windows (spots where you see right through the stone) or areas of extinction (black, dead spots with no brilliance). A beautiful outline also adds to the stone''s beauty, as well as a fair degree of liveliness (scintillation).

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2009 1:29:45 AM
Author: CharmyPoo

Date: 1/30/2009 10:47:52 PM
Does the stone want to visit with me? I will give it a good home :)
sure!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/30/2009 8:38:48 PM
Here is my very light aqua cusion in an LOGR legacyesque mount. It''s my stone and ring, so negative comments are acceptable. I don''t mind, really.

OH how did I miss this lovely piece of heaven?? TL ...it turned out beautiful....and I have to say, that LOGR setting ...I would have never guessed it. It looks beautifully made with nice sparkly white diamonds!!!
30.gif
36.gif
Maybe I won''t discount LOGR settings just yet...
31.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2009 10:46:26 AM
Author: cushioncutnut

OH how did I miss this lovely piece of heaven?? TL ...it turned out beautiful....and I have to say, that LOGR setting ...I would have never guessed it. It looks beautifully made with nice sparkly white diamonds!!!
30.gif
36.gif
Maybe I won''t discount LOGR settings just yet...
31.gif
Thank you CCN,
As a side note, it has the upgraded diamonds. He did a very nice job on this particular setting. I just need a stone for it, and this search has been a very arduous task, much harder than I realized. I first purchased the setting in the hopes this aqua WOULD be a medium color as the seller suggested it was, and then I got the setting, LOVED IT, and afterwards, I got the stone, and was very disappointed. The setting is too pretty to return, so I need to find a 7.5 to 8.5 mm cushion to fit in there. I think this teaches me a lesson to find the stone FIRST and get the setting SECOND! I know some of you do it the other way around, but I don''t have your same luck.
14.gif
(okay, where are the violins when you need them??).
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/31/2009 3:40:06 AM
Author: ma re
Kimmy, I''d like to point out some things, just to be sure. How often do you think of wearing it? If you''d like something for frequent wear (almost every day) aquamarine isn''t the best stone in terms of durability. In that case sapphire might be a better option, as someone already wrote. They''re not the same shade of blue, but can come pretty close, and the price difference isn''t very big. That''s another thing I wanted to mention. A 2.5-3 ct aquamarine can cost you anywhere from 20$/ct for those where you really have to look hard to see any blue (i.e. more blah than blue), to the finest ones which can even reach 700-800$/ct in the deepest shades; but most of the decent ones can be bought for 100-150$/ct. I''m not sure about prices cutters would charge. There are also light blue and green tourmalines to consider, as well as zircons, green beryls and mint garnets. All are pretty close in price and durability, and can exhibit nice pastel shades. Also bear in mind that such a ring design, with lots of small diamonds, is not suitable for frequent wear either.

If you stick with aquamarine, it''s important to remember they should be as clean as possible, much more so than most other stones (think icicles). Color should be even throughout the stone, with no windows (spots where you see right through the stone) or areas of extinction (black, dead spots with no brilliance). A beautiful outline also adds to the stone''s beauty, as well as a fair degree of liveliness (scintillation).

I think if you bezel the aqua, it would be much safer if you''re careful not to knock it around. I also agree with Mr. Ma Rae that aqua, or any of the pastel beryls, should be kept very clean. They tend to look very glass like if you don''t keep them clean, especially the lighter colors. I have a darker scissor cut aqua of a medium dark color, and that one doesn''t need as much constant cleaning as a lighter aqua I wear.

sparklestick

Shiny_Rock
Tourmaline-lover if you ever want to upgrade your aqua I would take it off your hands. I think it is totally lush.
30.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Here is my very light aqua cusion in an LOGR legacyesque mount. It''s my stone and ring, so negative comments are acceptable. I don''t mind, really.
Nothing negative to say. Its color is on the lighter side, but it certainly does not look pale & the cut is cool. In fact, I prefer the cut of your aqua to the Tiff cut.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/30/2009 12:46:37 PM
Author:kimmyintexas
Hello everyone!

I am completely clueless about gemstones but I can tell there are many experts on here. I am thinking of having a replica of the Tiffany Legacy made with a blue topaz or aquamarine center stone. I would appreciate any help ya''ll (yes, I''m from Texas!) could give me. I really love the pale blue stones. Which one would you recommend? What size should I look for? I am thinking between 2.5 and 3 cts. for the ''big'' legacy look. Is it possible to buy one online or will I have to see it in person? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Kimberly

Totally go for an aqua, just try to steer away from ultra pale colors. In fact TL has a nice one that is light, but still seems to show some color as well. Aqua''s are cool too because you can hunt for blue or the green/blue colors and both are pretty.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 3:54:53 PM
Author: omieluv

Here is my very light aqua cusion in an LOGR legacyesque mount. It's my stone and ring, so negative comments are acceptable. I don't mind, really.

Nothing negative to say. Its color is on the lighter side, but it certainly does not look pale & the cut is cool. In fact, I prefer the cut of your aqua to the Tiff cut.

I agree- I hate it when I see aquas in maul stores and they look like glass (hardly any color!). TL's shows quite a bit of color considering how light it is - it's very pretty!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 1:24:16 PM

I think if you bezel the aqua, it would be much safer if you''re careful not to knock it around. I also agree with Mr. Ma Rae that aqua, or any of the pastel beryls, should be kept very clean. They tend to look very glass like if you don''t keep them clean, especially the lighter colors. I have a darker scissor cut aqua of a medium dark color, and that one doesn''t need as much constant cleaning as a lighter aqua I wear.
Actually I was thinking about clarity while writing this (my mistake for not pointing it out), but your fact also stands about the importance of cleaning with these stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a gorgeous picture of the Tiffany aqua. Please no negative comments about this stone since it does belong to a PS''er and I don''t want to hurt anyone''s feelings. I think the above pictures were blurry and didn''t do it justice, but it looks much better here, and the cut of the stone is amazing. I think this is a much better picture that helps relay how a darker aqua looks in a legacy (well a true legacy here).

tiffany_aqua_legacy_closeup.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2009 10:08:55 AM
I found a gorgeous picture of the Tiffany aqua. Please no negative comments about this stone since it does belong to a PS''er and I don''t want to hurt anyone''s feelings. I think the above pictures were blurry and didn''t do it justice, but it looks much better here, and the cut of the stone is amazing. I think this is a much better picture that helps relay how a darker aqua looks in a legacy (well a true legacy here).
OMG - negative comments on this ring? Not from me! I think it''s super stunning. Would the owner please step forward for applause! It''s GORGEOUS!
30.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Kimberly,
I would go with an aquamarine - I think it would be lovely. I think aquas are gorgeous gems.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks great with a strong darker aqua. The colour pops out more.

kimmyintexas

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for all your helpful comments. The rings that are posted here are absolutely gorgeous! My husband wants to buy me a new engagement ring and wedding band and I absolutely love the "legacy" look and I am thinking of having a custom design made. My husband is totally willing to spend the money if I want it with a diamond center stone but for some reason I am drawn to those rings more with the gem stones. If we go with a gemstone we want to go with an aquamarine for three reasons: 1. We think they are beautiful (since I have been looking I have realized I like the darker ones more) 2. I have bright blue eyes so hubby thinks that''s a good reason to go with one 3. We are doing this for our 19th anniversary and I read that aquamarine is the stone for the 19th anniversary. I do however want to be able to wear the ring pretty much all the time and someone stated that this type of setting shouldn''t be worn all the time. I am wondering if I should do this ring for a right hand ring and do a simple solitare and eternity band for my wedding set. I am having such a hard time deciding what I want to do! Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Have a wonderful day!

Kimberly

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If for an e-ring, I suggest a "hardier" stone like a sapphire. The aqua is more of a RHR since it will not be worn as often (and thus, hopefully, is more gentle to the stone).

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I agree with chrono, but we mentioned that already - aqua isn''t an everyday type of stone, and settings with lots of small diamonds are not suitable for daily wear either. It''s because tiny stones are held in place by tiny pieces of metal which can easily bend or even break, resulting in damage or loss of stone(s). And it might have absolutely nothing to do with the quality of workmanship, but with simple laws of physics. And as for aqua, I actually believe that no stone is suitable for daily wear in rings, cause even the sturdiest of them can get damaged if hit in the right spot, with enough force. But if you''re OK with being a bit more careful, then go for it. Stay with more simple designs for safety reasons, bezeling an aqua isn''t a bad idea, and avoid prongs/beads on accent stones (flush settings would be best for them).

Or just get yourself this one as a RHR like you suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results