color
clarity

Cushion Cut Advice from JA

jasko

Rough_Rock

kalima

Rough_Rock
Trade
What criteria are you using with her? The selections have no relation to one another and just don't make sense nor are any of them even half decent. I think you need to define your preferences much more clearly.

Do you want a rectangular or more square stone? (Keep in mind you will not get as efficient light return edge to edge with rectangular stones.)

This is what I gave her:

Color: Something that will look white to the eye. Not yellowish at all. I guess H minimum? (or an I if you think it looks great)
You can go as low as I safely with many cushion cuts. Sometimes as low as J with rounds. But these lower colors will be warmer like ivory or white not icy white. Most people don't start seeing yellow till about J or K.

Clarity: As clear as possible. I do not want to be able to see any inclusions with the naked eye.
Don't say as clear as possible that would encourage someone to get you VS, VVS or IF which is a premium you just don't need.
Eye clean (define it for example faceup from 2 feet away) is enough information.

Weight: .9 - 1.0 (I'd wouldn't mind geting .9 to save some money however see size below)
wouldn't specify weight I would be more interested in faceup dimensions.
You could raise this but sometimes size and brightness are tradeoffs.

Size: This is my biggest thing. I want the diamond to look as large as possible and still be sparkly/nice. Ideally I would like the measurements to rang in the high 5MM - low 6MM range for the Length. Width hopefully something 5.5 minimum but I can be flexible on this.

Length and width at least 5.6mm is restrictive enough. If you make this too large you will get large dull diamonds only.

Shape: I'd prefer rectangular than square, but wouldn't rule out square
I posted three squarish ones above when I edited my post.

Look: I honestly like the Cushion Brilliant (classic) look vs. the modern Cushion Brilliant Modified "crushed ice" look. I am flexible on this though.

If you want classic Cushion Brilliant the selections in my first post choice #2(Vintage style) or #3(Hearts and Arrows) would be more to your preference.

Table: I'd like for it to have a medium to larger size table, with everything else looking good.

Large table diamonds are often flat and dull and less full of life. This criteria rules out most of the brightest diamonds with the tallest crowns. This is the reason that we have not been able to reccomend any of the diamonds suggested by JA.

Budget: $3800 - $3900 (also depending on the PriceScope discount hopefully!)[/quote]
Nice healthy budget it definitely sould be able to get get you what you want.

You are being way too restrictive on your criteria, and that is why the selections being offered to you while they fit your criteria best will not be brightest diamonds.

jasko

Rough_Rock
Thanks for outlining all of that for me. Makes sense now. This is what I told the lady:

I'm set on these:
1.) http://www.jamesallen.com/?a_aid=dmnd1357&chan=x#!/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.00-carat-H-color-VS2-clarity-sku-202565
2.) http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.00-carat-D-color-SI1-clarity-sku-178092

If http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-I-color-VS2-clarity-sku-186119 is eye-clean, then yes add that one and proceed (finally). If it's not eye-clean, please let me know and add http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-I-color-VVS2-clarity-sku-179989

If the ASET test comes back and they're all crap, then I'll probably just return my original order to JA and either wait until they have better diamonds in or buy one of the two (non-JA) that you linked me.

Thanks again everyone for all your help. I'll post the ASET results when I get them. Have a great weekend.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jasko

Rough_Rock
Don't worry I sent her another email right after that to tell her to forget about it for today and that I'm too indecisive right now lol (true story). I'll shoot the request back out this weekend after I decide on all of these.

SKU 164231 is really nice. In fact, all the ones you just linked to me are really nice.

I'm just still confused on a diamonds weight vs measurements. Granted, this one weighs much less than what I've been looking for (0.9 to 1.0 range), yet the measurements are around the same if not greater than some that I've seen. Does this affect the way it looks? The way the light will affect it?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jasko|1362776545|3400107 said:

The 1.01 I is bigger, more rectangular, and probably nicer than the 1.00 H, so I would swap those.

This would be my list for you:

http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.79-carat-F-color-VS2-clarity-sku-164231
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-I-color-VS2-clarity-sku-186119
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-I-color-VVS2-clarity-sku-179989

The way cushion brilliants and modified brilliants are cut differently, it lets the modified brilliant hold onto more weight in the pavilion. Don't worry about the carat weight. The .79 has good crown height and girdle is not thin (it is actually thick) so no worries there.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, if you want to take a break, that's fine.

But put the .79 ON HOLD and get the review of at least that one, there are a lot of lurkers who will if you don't.

jasko

Rough_Rock
Thanks again JulieN for having the patience with me. You seem really knowledgeable in this department. Glad you pointed me in the right direction. I'm doing the online-chat now with a rep and am just going to send out the ASET for the 3 you listed. I hate to seem like what you said earlier, couldn't make up my mind and just doing whatever you guys were telling me, but I really have a lot to learn about diamonds, as you can tell from my original order.

I'll post the ASET report as soon as they send me it. I hope you can check it out for me and continue to give me your insight. I'll do my research this weekend on ASET in preparation of it.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're welcome, I hope they work out.

jasko

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1362779646|3400145 said:
You're welcome, I hope they work out.

Of course:

Thank you for choosing James Allen.

My name is Jenny and I am a customer services representative with James Allen.com
I would like to take this moment to touch and follow with you regards to your ASET images request.

Unfortunately, we are unable to provide you an ASET image of the diamond # 186119 because this diamond's partner is out of the state. We can pull up the diamond without making a purchase of this diamond first.

If you make a purchase of this diamond, then we can provide you the ASET of this particular diamond. After we receive the ASET images we can give you a full refund back to you.

Please contact our office back about your decision. You chat in or call in at any time. Our phone number is 301-631-1414. Please let me know what is your decision.

I won't be in the office until Monday. If you call in just refer to you order number JA108569, we will be able to help you.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards

Wtf

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

jasko

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1362789811|3400250 said:
Yeah, that happens sometimes, it can happen to any vendor working with stones that are not in-house.

In increasing order of personal effort:

1) You can just get the analysis on the two you have now.
2) You can pick one more: http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut//CaratFrom:0.70|CaratTo:10.00|PriceFrom:400|PriceTo:999000|TabSelected:3||DiamondID:30092,160007,35752,36730
3) You can pay by CC if you are really interested for its size.

Yeah. I'm just going to tell her to send the results for the two. If they're absolutely horrible, I'll reconsider. Or, worst case scenario, just buy that one, get the report and check it out - if it's bad, return it lol.

jasko

Rough_Rock
Hey guys. I got the ASET results back for 2 of the 3 diamonds. Let me know what you guys think!

Thank you for your patience while waiting for the ASET images of diamonds 164231 and 179989. I've attached an interpretation guide for ASET images to the bottom of this email, so please read that over. Other customers have found it very helpful and I hope you agree!

You'll be happy to know that both of your diamonds are excellent options and feature strong light performance. Both of them are bright, lively, and appear completely eye clean. Since their performance is comparable, you'll want to base your decision on your personal preference regarding the difference in their shape. Diamond 164231 (http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/0.79-carat-F-color-VS2-clarity-sku-164231) has an icy white "F" color and has a rectangular shape. Diamond 179989 (http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-I-color-VVS2-clarity-sku-179989) has a true "I" color and its shape is more square, with beautifully rounded corners.

You've done an excellent job selecting your diamonds and I'm confident that with this feedback, you'll know which diamond is the best for you. Please take a moment to review this information and let me know if you have any additional questions. I have extended your hold on these diamonds for an additional 24 hours while you consider your options. I've copied my colleagues in the gemological department on this email and one of them will be reaching out to you within 24 hours to see if you need any assistance in finalizing a purchase. After that time we will release them back to our inventory.

To finalize a purchase, simply call our Customer Service department at 877-826-9866. We are staffed to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Please don't hesitate to contact us with any additional questions. I hope to hear from you soon.

Best Regards,

Adam Blackstock | Diamond and Jewelry Consultant | JamesAllen.com | D: 301.631.1414 | TF: 877.826.9866 | 24/7 Customer Service

SKU 164231:

SKU: 179989

I didn't have a third option because the one I placed on hold was unavailable at the time. What do you guys think?

Again, I'm looking for one that's a nice size and gives off some good 'blind' so to speak.

164231aset.jpg

179989aset.jpg

jasko

Rough_Rock
I'm kinda leaning toward the cheaper one ( the first one ) but it has more green than red. Seems like the size is good and would be comparable to the second one. First one is only .79ct and the other is 1.01ct. Ah

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I expected that for the rectangular #1, it didn't look as good as the .8 E VS that was overbudget.

Basically JA said you should choose based on shape.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should go with the I because it is bigger, I think you will be happier in the long run. It's not more than what you originally spent, right? It will be a lot bigger and look better.

jasko

Rough_Rock
Hey JulieN. I think I will go with the I diamond. The dimensions are bigger and it seems like from the ASET test, it's going to give off better light reflections. Do you guys think the other diamond on hold - http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-186119 - that was unavailable for ASET testing is worth getting checked out?

I'm going to sleep on it and see what my mind tells me tomorrow since they put it on hold for another 24 hours for me. Any other input is always welcomed.

Thanks.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it helps, there's not much size difference between the two Is once it goes into the halo and on the finger.

jasko

Rough_Rock
Thanks for pointing that out. Just didn't want to choose one that will get 'lost' in a halo

jasko

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone in this thread again (JulieN in particular). I just processed my order for the second diamond (the I color VVS2).

Thanks to the staff at JamesAllen also (Stacy, Marie, Josh, etc.). Very patient, knowledgable, and friendly staff.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
jasko|1362776545|3400107 said:
Thanks for outlining all of that for me. Makes sense now. This is what I told the lady:

I'm set on these:
1.) http://www.jamesallen.com/?a_aid=dmnd1357&chan=x#!/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.00-carat-H-color-VS2-clarity-sku-202565
2.) http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.00-carat-D-color-SI1-clarity-sku-178092

If http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-I-color-VS2-clarity-sku-186119 is eye-clean, then yes add that one and proceed (finally). If it's not eye-clean, please let me know and add http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-I-color-VVS2-clarity-sku-179989

If the ASET test comes back and they're all crap, then I'll probably just return my original order to JA and either wait until they have better diamonds in or buy one of the two (non-JA) that you linked me.

Thanks again everyone for all your help. I'll post the ASET results when I get them. Have a great weekend.

#'s 1 & 2...I would not choose either one of these stones. The D si1 is total mush under the table which means it has leakage and it has the crushed ice faceting type. The H faces up too small for a 1 c stone and I do not like the size of the table 67%.

The best numbers for cushion cuts are depth mid 60% and table mid 50% & even smaller. The small table produces a higher crown which is preferable in cushion cuts as it takes on the pillowy look...thus called "cushion".

You first want to focus on the cut of the cushion and NOT color. CUT IS KING. A well cut I or J will be much more beautiful and face up even more white than a poorly cut higher color. I and J are still in the colorless range.

Pay more attention to the crispness of the faceting than the color or clarity of the stone. As long as it is eye clean or the inclusions are hard to see with the naked eye they won't affect a well cut stone.

Good luck with your search...be patient and you will find the right stone.

jasko

Rough_Rock
Thanks ariel for the suggestions. Glad I didn't go with those two options. Going to be sending my return out today or tomorrow. Then they'll process it and all that jazz and hopefully by next week or the following week the latest I'll have the new one. I'm just hoping it turns out great. I'll post some pictures once I receive it to show you guys. I don't think I'm going to be popping the question until later next month on a vacation trip... ideally. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how it's going to go down. Between all of this back and forth with what stone to get and such, I'm really just at the point of asking her at home to just put it out there haha. Thanks again though guys.

jasko

Rough_Rock
Hey all. Just reporting back (finally). I had to return my original ring, have it go through their inspections, have them process the new stone and ring, and it just arrived today. My whole process through JA has been very good throughout this process, I must say. Anyway, to get to it, here's the newest ring. Please forgive the quality of these pics, as I only have my phone as a camera.

Stone: http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.01-carat-I-color-VVS2-clarity-sku-179989
Setting: Their Pave Halo 14k white gold.

Now just gotta make a decision on my proposal ideas!

photo-4_2_13_-3_0.jpg

1_24.jpg

photo-4_2_13_-2_2.jpg

photo-4_2_13_-2_6.jpg

photo-4_2_13_-2_5.jpg

photo-4_2_13_-2_4.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, I hope you are happier with this. Post handshots in the Show Me the Bling forum after the proposal!

pixgirl

Shiny_Rock
Your fiancee is lucky to have you. You worked so hard to find her the right diamond in the right ring and it is beautiful. Now good luck with your proposal! :appl:

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
The ring turned out awesome! That cushion is beautiful...love the small table which makes a higher crown. Of course she'll say yes... Congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results