shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Cut #2

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Patrol

Rough_Rock
Hello Again:

So, I''ve spent a lot of time looking at this 1.54 G VS1 diamond at GOG.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5315/

I really like this diamond, it fits all of my parameters, and though its not an ideal cut, I''ve come to realize that cushion cut diamonds seldom are, and in my budget, I''d probably only be able to afford 1ct should I find an ideal cut cushion anyways. Point being, I am very close to being ready to buy, but I wanted to get the opinions of a few more folks before I do.

Now, in a last minue search to make sure that there is nothing batter out there, I found this 1.6 G VS2 on Blue Nile

http://www.bluenile.com/cushion-cut-diamond-1-carat-very-good-cut-g-color-vs2-clarity_LD01449150?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0#grading_report

The two diamonds are very similar in price, yet this second diamond, while it drops one notch in clarity, has a table percentage of 59%, which is much closer to the mid 50s that Jonathan of GOG recommends, than the 67% table percentage on diamond #1. It is also basically a 1 to 1 length to width ration, which I think may contribute to more brillince in the diamond, but I''m not sure. Again, there are no photos on bluenile so I have a little less info, but I want to be sure sure that I''m not passing on a better diamond. Am I over thinking this?

Can I get the opinion of some of you experts who have been looking at these a lot longer than I? I greatly appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you, Patrol

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
NO cushion is ideal. There ISN'T an ideal for cushions.

That being said, that GOG stone is beautiful. That would be my vote for sure because you never know what cushions will look like until you see them and the BN stone might be a total dud (and IMO is likely to be a dud since there are way more crappy cushions out there than gorgeous ones.)

There are NO RULES for cushions, so just buy what looks beautiful. Jon has a knack for finding beautiful stones, and I have never seen him offer a poor quality cushion. Plus the upgrade policy is great too!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 11:40:58 AM
Author: neatfreak
NO cushion is ideal. There ISN''T an ideal for cushions.

That being said, that GOG stone is beautiful. That would be my vote for sure because you never know what cushions will look like until you see them and the BN stone might be a total dud (and IMO is likely to be a dud since there are way more crappy cushions out there than gorgeous ones.)

There are NO RULES for cushions, so just buy what looks beautiful. Jon has a knack for finding beautiful stones, and I have never seen him offer a poor quality cushion. Plus the upgrade policy is great too!
Well said!

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto!

With BN (and cushions w/o pics) you just never know what you are going to get. Granted, there is a 30 day return policy, but unless you have an "eye" for what you are looking for, it is probably best to trust the expertise of GOG.

Plus...have you watched the video??? The GOG stone is gorgeous!!!

MrsChil

Shiny_Rock
I have also been looking for a cushion for a little while. The only thing I would check on where this diamond is concerned is the dark spot that appears towards the middle of the stone. I'm not sure if it's a bowtie, leakage or just the camera angle but I recently had a cushion I was contemplating on and there was this persistant dark spot towards the center that really bugged me so it would be worth calling GOG to get their opinion on it. Just my .02. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results