shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion Brilliant or Modified Brilliant

TahitianMoon

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I've learned so much from this forum. You are all amazing in sharing your knowledge of diamonds.

I have an engagement ring that my husband had appraised a few years ago when we got engaged. Unfortunately, I don't think the diamond has a GIA certificate otherwise I think the appraiser would have given me the GIA number on the diamond. I know the 4 C's of the diamond, but the appraiser didn't indicate whether it was a cushion brilliant or cushion modified brilliant - he just wrote "Cushion Diamond". The appraiser is unfortunately out of business so I can't contact him to ask for clarification. He did draw out the plot.

Based on my research online, it isn't really an 8-point main because even though it has 8 points, the placement of the points are different. Is there only one standard plot for an 8-Point Main cushion diamond?

Is this one just a generic cushion brilliant? There is no culet. I looked at all the loose diamonds sold online and their GIA certificates and I have yet to see one with a plot like mine - at least the ones that are currently for sale.

I have included the plot and also a photo of the diamond, but I had to zoom in and sharpen it since it's so difficult taking a photo of it with just my phone so I apologize if this photo isn't helpful at all.

Any information about my diamond would be much appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_5466.jpeg IMG_5467.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any other up-close pictures of your stone? Maybe not as up close as the one you already posted.

BtW...the stone you posted looks like it has 4 mains. I'm wondering if the person who did the appraisal just drew out a
generic cushion. It doesn't look like it matches your stone. Unfortunately, it is hard to tell anything from that picture.
If you've got any others, please post.

TahitianMoon

Rough_Rock
Do you have any other up-close pictures of your stone? Maybe not as up close as the one you already posted.

BtW...the stone you posted looks like it has 4 mains. I'm wondering if the person who did the appraisal just drew out a
generic cushion. It doesn't look like it matches your stone. Unfortunately, it is hard to tell anything from that picture.
If you've got any others, please post.

Thank you for your response. Well, that is interesting!

Mystery deepens on this stone. I think I may have to take it in for another appraisal. I just didn't pay much attention to the appraisal at the time except for the 4 C's. I've attached a clearer photo of the diamond. I look forward to your feedback.

IMG_5477.jpeg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What is the purpose of your enquiry?
There are at least a dozen facet patterns and almost all of them can work well or really poorly.
Knowing what yours is will require the pavilion side really good clear photos but unless you don't want the diamond any more this would not be a cheap exercise to remove and rest.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, if I had to say I would guess yours is some kind of 4 main. Does not match the generic picture of the cushion he
gave you but as Garry H said above there are tons of different cushion cut patterns.

TahitianMoon

Rough_Rock
What is the purpose of your enquiry?
There are at least a dozen facet patterns and almost all of them can work well or really poorly.
Knowing what yours is will require the pavilion side really good clear photos but unless you don't want the diamond any more this would not be a cheap exercise to remove and rest.

Thank you for your response. I don't want to sell the diamond, I was just merely curious about the diamond, especially since it appears that the plot drawn on the appraisal report and actual diamond may not match, but it makes sense that without removing the diamond from the setting, it may be a futile exercise.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, if I had to say I would guess yours is some kind of 4 main. Does not match the generic picture of the cushion he gave you but as Garry H said above there are tons of different cushion cut patterns.
And GIA and all labs don't often get them right

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results