shape
carat
color
clarity

Current progress on custom eRing computer design.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Well, for anyone that has been following my eRing process... Here''s an update.

I''ve decided to go with the local guy that uses 5-axis machine for my design. He actually has some guy in CA do it for him and then has the guy in CA overnight it to him. That''s fine by me, as long as I get it. When the local guy saw my design he said that he laughed pretty hard. (I sent it in email) He said, "You know, most jewelers would be scared STIFF by this. I see most designs done by professionals with less detail than this!" hehe, he asked me if I do this for a living and if I do we should do business. That was cool! I wouldn''t mind doing a little side design here and there! hehe.

Now, the scary part. Time is still ticking and I''m really hoping to get it before I go on vacation for a bit. So, the local guy thinks he can have it to me by then but not sure. The setting and everything else takes the most time. He''s trying to push it for me but then again, I don''t have the rock yet. That''s due to Gary by the 21st hopefully and then to me soon after.. I hope. I''m really squeaking in on this one. I guess I should have started this process well before April 7th like I did and maybe I''d be further. ;-) heh. j/k still wouldn''t get the stone from Paul and Gary before then.

Anyway, so here''s another scary part. The local guy wanted my model file from the computer design I did. So they are planning on using my actual file and my surfaces I built in the eval software that I use. Holy crap! That scares me because I don''t do this for a living. What if something is messed up. Well, anyway, I rebuilt it with the same idea in mind and sent it to him on Tuesday this week. I never heard back from him and was starting to get discouraged that it''s going to be another hand holding job so I went to give a live visit last night (Thursday) He said he sent it and the guy should be sending it to him and have it today. He said, "Let me call him" So, he does and the guy said my design is all messed up. The channel floor is too thin and the prongs are too small. It won''t hold. So he says he can do it himself (4 hours maybe more and $$$$) or I can build it up a bit and get it back to him. So, this morning I rebuilt it for the third time (getting good and fast at it now) Then I rebuilt the prongs a 4th time and sent off the file. Called him and said he forwarded the first file with small prongs but is going to send this one and call the guy. Hopefully I''ll have a wax Monday! That would be great!!

Now, just need that stone from Gary and will take it in for apprasial then get it to my jeweler for setting. Can they start casting before they get my stone? I designed my computer model with the actual dimensions of the centerstone and used approximate melee dimensions given to me by the local guy. Hopefully they can start casting and a little work before they set the centerstone. Anyone know this answer?

Thanks for reading!
Ukieza

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If they have the exact measurements of the stone, I don''t see why they couldn''t at least get started with the casting. They have your cad model, (I''m not sure if I''m saying that correctly ),but you the jist of what I''m trying to say??

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s odd - and granted, I had some issues with my jeweler...but at first they didn''t need my stone - they said they would use a dummy stone with the same measurements to get the wax done...and then a week later they called and said they really just needed my stone to do the casting....that the measurements weren''t enough, and the dummy stone could not replace the exact cut of my stone. So they had my stone (and needed it) do to the wax casting. Not sure if this is universally true..but it was my experience.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Well I am sorry that you are still having some issues with the ring. I do hope that it gets to you in time. Are you considering proposing prior to your trip or do you just want to see the ring? Either way it sounds like it is finally happening and i am sureyou lady will be surprised when she gets the fantastic product of your labour and love. Perhaps she can even read about the process here on PS! Best wishes!

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/17/2005 6:15:08 PM
Author:Ukieza
Well, for anyone that has been following my eRing process... Here''s an update.

..... hehe, he asked me if I do this for a living and if I do we should do business. That was cool! I wouldn''t mind doing a little side design here and there! hehe.

What a cool compliment!!!
10.gif

Best of luck with the rest of your project! Did they make a wax yet?

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
The wax has been made and is waiting at the jeweler for me to see. I''m excited but I can''t get out of work for a while to go see it. :( Hopefully I''ll get a chance today before it gets TOO late. I''ll try to take some pictures. ;-)

-Ukieza

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great can''t wait to see it!!!

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Okay, just got back from seeing the wax. I have one word. WOW! It was beautiful in my opinion. It looked just like my model. I wonder why. ;-) They used my actual model file and probably just put tool paths to each surface. That''s scary for me but that means it''s exactly what I designed.
36.gif
16.gif

They kept telling me at the shop to be very careful with it because it''s so fragile as a wax. It was AWESOME! I''m very happy so far. Let''s see how they do with the casting. They are sending it back today to get started on casting it. It''s great!

I''ll get pictures up as soon as I can. I don''t have access to the pictures on this computer.. still on the camera. They aren''t much to see and I didn''t really get much of a studio to take them in... just on the counter.
8.gif
Oh well, it''s looking great though!

-Ukieza
37.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so happy for you!!! Can't wait to see it!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
yay
36.gif
36.gif
i''m so excited for you and i''m so happy they got it RIGHT
36.gif

we would love to see whatever pics you have, we love them all. how''s in going with the stone? when did they expect to have the ring complete?

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Well, it's a race on time now. The jeweler sent the ring back to CA for casting and starting the metal process. The diamond is suppose to be in AZ today sometime and then sent to me shortly after he examines it. I'll get it Wednesday hopefully and then take it to the apprasier. I have one picked out and stopped in his office today to ask some questions. He's got GG AGA and NAJA all after his name so I'm guessing he'll do a splendid job. Kept telling me to tell him nothing about the rocks. Nothing about size, color or anything. So I'll be seeing him hopefully tomorrow (Wednesday) and then dropping off the rock at the jeweler so they can ship that to wherever they need to finish the ring. They are saying the ring will be done by the end of next week. Let's hope so... I'll be leaving for vacation soon and won't beable to get it if it's too much later than that!

And now! Pictures! Again, sorry for the poor quality.. I had a great camera this time but the lighting wasn't so good and made it hard to get good pictures. There is a couple changes in this compared to the first time I had the wax done. I reworked the bottom "square shank" (aka european shank) and the prongs are a bit reworked too. Nothing major to the overall design. The prongs are almost identical in look. These waxes were done fully by machine. I'm amazed at the resemblence of my actual design. I guess that's what happens when they use your file. ;-) Simply amazing!

-Ukieza

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Front view.

front1aab.jpg

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Another front view.

front2aa.jpg

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Side view.

side1aab.jpg

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Another side view

side2aa.jpg

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Sorry I didn''t get a top. I really should have, I just forgot when I was there and was excited on how similar it was to my actual design. I put up every picture I took.

-Ukieza

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Thoose waxes are devine!
30.gif
You did a great job, and btw the prongs on this one look about a thousand times better.
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks terrific!!!! And the prongs look so much better. Yay for you!!!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh boy, it looks super. i''m so glad everything is moving right along. that is going to be one gorgeous ring
36.gif

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your replies. Yeah, I think the prongs do look a lot better. They have been redesigned a tad because of strength concerns that the new jeweler had brought up with me during the review of my design. (Imagine that, an actual review!) Anyway, if you want to see the old wax, it''s in this thread.

I just heard from Gary Dutton and my diamond is in his hands and will be in mine tomorrow. I should call up the apprasier and set up an appt for that. He said it''ll take about an hour and cost $75. Does that sound about right? I''m going to have him do it loose and after I get it set. I believe he said after I get it set he''ll do it again and that won''t be a charge. Which is pretty cool. Is that a normal thing for appraisers?

Thanks for following!
Ukieza

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Oh, another thing to mention is that this one actually includes all 22 melee stones. The previous version from the last jeweler was only 20 to save cost. I''m coming in cheaper right now than the last one and it''ll have more stones! It does pay to wait to have it done correctly but geez, it''s been painful.

Ukieza

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes that sounds very reasonable!!!! Also good to have it done after it''s set also. That''s nice that he won''t charge you for the second one!!! Can''t wait to see it!!!! You getting closer that''s for sure. It''s been a long road for you.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
You''ve been waiting such a long time, but it looks like you''re FINALLY on the right track and found a jeweler who is reputable and workable...your wax photos look great and the prongs look like they''ve been fixed appropriately! CONGRATS!!

Can''t wait to see the final project!!

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
I will hopefully have the centerstone tomorrow morning! I have a thread over in RockyTalky with pictures and specs on the stone I''ll be getting!

Go to this thread to view the pictures and stats!

It''s all starting to come together!

Ukieza

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Just got the diamond appraised and back to the jeweler. It got appraised at higher than I paid so that''s good! :) Makes me feel good about not getting robbed by the diamond industry. ;-) hehe..

Anyway, I left a big post in my thread at rockytalky.

Ukieza

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Oh it looks simply divine. I am enjoying following your story and cannot wait to see the finished product. I am so glad things are mocing right along now!! I cannot WAIT to seee the finished product!!

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
The wax looks wonderful--I can''t wait to see the final ring! That''s so romantic that you designed it for your Fi-to-be. She''s a lucky girl!
9.gif

Ukieza

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I hope she likes it. I''m just really concerned that it doesn''t fall into one of the things she wanted. Like it''s too tall. Or, it''s too thick. Or, it''s too wide. etc.. etc..

How tall are everyone''s rings? Do you ever have problems with getting shirts on or jackets on over it without thinking your going to rip the prongs apart and lose the centerstone?

Ukieza

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
This wax is INFINITELY better than the first round with the original jeweler...it does pay to wait and get things done right! It looks divine and is sure to be a show-stopper.

I''m going to pop over to the other thread to see your stone...looks like everything is coming together! Don''t freak now about whether it''s too this or too that...you designed it...which will make her love it even MORE than a regular ring.
9.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, she is going to LOVE it. don''t worry about that one bit
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results