shape
carat
color
clarity

Curious about a Alexandrite ring..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CuriousGem

Rough_Rock
Hi all. I just bought a ring on ebay. I bought it because it''s beautiful, in my opinion, but it doesn''t take much to impress me. I was doing some reading on Alexandrite, after I bought it and it got me curious. It''s from a reputable seller with high reviews, but I''m just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Alexandrite. According to the seller, it is natural mined Alexandrite from India.

I will have the stone looked at by a jeweler when I get it, to ensure I didn''t get ripped off, but beyond that, just wondering if it is worth getting an appraisal. The quality isn''t great, but the color change is decent. I''ve always wanted one, because it''s my birthstone, but the real thing is hard to come by, from what I understand. More than anything, I''m just curious about my purchase.

Here is the description of the ring.

1 NATURAL RARE .95CT BEAUTIFUL COLOR CHANGING ALEXANDRITE THAT HAS MODERATE COLOR CHANGE FROM A SUNLIGHT OR FLORESCENT LIGHT MEDIUM GREEN SLIGHT BLUE GREEN AND THE ALEXANDRITE CHANGES IN WARM INCANDESCENT OR CANDLE LIGHTING TO A MEDIUM PURPLE SLIGHT GREYISH PURPLE. THE COLOR CHANGE IS ALWAYS BEST SEEN IN A DIM LIGHT SETTING WITH EITHER LOW WATT WARM INCANDESCENT OR CANDLE LIGHTING. OUR PICTURES WERE TAKEN IN NORMAL IN DOOR 60 WATT INCANDESCENT LIGHTING FOR THE PURPLE COLOR CHANGE AND FLORESCENT LIGHTING FOR THE GREEN COLOR. THE ALEXANDRITE HAS FAIR TRANSPARENT TYPE2 SI3 CLARITY HAVING NOTICEABLE EYE VISIBLE INCLUSIONS, AS WELL AS EYE VISIBLE DIAGONAL SILK. PLEASE DO NOTE. DIAMONDS AND NATURAL ALEXANDRITE ARE GRADED MUCH DIFFERENTLY. DIAMONDS THAT RECEIVE THE CLARITY GRADE SI3 ARE ALWAYS EYE CLEAN WHILE NATURAL ALEXANDRITE RECEIVING THIS CLARITY GRADE WILL ALWAYS SHOW PROMINENT EYE VISIBLE INCLUSIONS.

I have the photos uploaded into photobucket, but when I add the link, it won''t let me post the message. I''d love to share the pics, any help there?

CuriousGem

Rough_Rock
Trying again with an attachment..

alexring1234.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 1:56:44 AM
Author:CuriousGem
Hi all. I just bought a ring on ebay. I bought it because it''s beautiful, in my opinion, but it doesn''t take much to impress me. I was doing some reading on Alexandrite, after I bought it and it got me curious. It''s from a reputable seller with high reviews, but I''m just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Alexandrite. According to the seller, it is natural mined Alexandrite from India.

I will have the stone looked at by a jeweler when I get it, to ensure I didn''t get ripped off, but beyond that, just wondering if it is worth getting an appraisal. The quality isn''t great, but the color change is decent. I''ve always wanted one, because it''s my birthstone, but the real thing is hard to come by, from what I understand. More than anything, I''m just curious about my purchase.

Here is the description of the ring.

1 NATURAL RARE .95CT BEAUTIFUL COLOR CHANGING ALEXANDRITE THAT HAS MODERATE COLOR CHANGE FROM A SUNLIGHT OR FLORESCENT LIGHT MEDIUM GREEN SLIGHT BLUE GREEN AND THE ALEXANDRITE CHANGES IN WARM INCANDESCENT OR CANDLE LIGHTING TO A MEDIUM PURPLE SLIGHT GREYISH PURPLE. THE COLOR CHANGE IS ALWAYS BEST SEEN IN A DIM LIGHT SETTING WITH EITHER LOW WATT WARM INCANDESCENT OR CANDLE LIGHTING. OUR PICTURES WERE TAKEN IN NORMAL IN DOOR 60 WATT INCANDESCENT LIGHTING FOR THE PURPLE COLOR CHANGE AND FLORESCENT LIGHTING FOR THE GREEN COLOR. THE ALEXANDRITE HAS FAIR TRANSPARENT TYPE2 SI3 CLARITY HAVING NOTICEABLE EYE VISIBLE INCLUSIONS, AS WELL AS EYE VISIBLE DIAGONAL SILK. PLEASE DO NOTE. DIAMONDS AND NATURAL ALEXANDRITE ARE GRADED MUCH DIFFERENTLY. DIAMONDS THAT RECEIVE THE CLARITY GRADE SI3 ARE ALWAYS EYE CLEAN WHILE NATURAL ALEXANDRITE RECEIVING THIS CLARITY GRADE WILL ALWAYS SHOW PROMINENT EYE VISIBLE INCLUSIONS.

I have the photos uploaded into photobucket, but when I add the link, it won''t let me post the message. I''d love to share the pics, any help there?
You can''t link to photos on this forum. You have to upload them directly here.

I don''t know much about alexandrites except that they are rare and pricey, but the part I highlighted makes me think your vendor is a bit dodgy.

As for the appraisal, depends what you paid for it. And I would probably send it to a lab to see if it is what the seller said it was.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/31/2009 2:10:32 AM
Author: CuriousGem
Trying again with an attachment..
Is it me, or do those photos look like they were taken in the same lighting conditions?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
The gold looks different so I think the lighting conditions are different.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need to reserve judgement until you've seen the Alex in person because colour change is impossible to photograph accurately and it may well be that this doesn't change as much as the photos suggest. Interestingly the seller describes the colour change as "moderate" which also makes me a bit suspicious. I would stick my neck out and say that this is a real rather than synthetic Alex but it's not a good example at all. Synthetics look too good to be true and this doesn't fit that category.

I know the Ebay seller this is from and typically their Alex is not good quality. The stone is highly silk included (which strangely can help the colour change) and also has other inclusions that look like they break the surface. You also can't see any faceting in the stone it's so included.

In terms of value - it'll probably be worth what you paid but not much more. You judge and value an Alex by (a) colour change (b) clarity (c) size.

To compare, what you've bought do a search on this forum for Alexandrite or have a quick look at Multicolour.com who have a large range (both in size and price range).

CuriousGem

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your responses. I looked for a long time before I found a forum that I thought would be helpful. I''m glad to hear that it is likely that it is real alexandrite. That''s what I care most about, and that I can see the color change, since it is just for me to wear. It''s nearly a carat, which will be bigger than any diamond I''ve ever owned. It''s my birthstone, and (like most June birthdays) I''ve never had a real one. I didn''t even know they were supposed to change color!

I guess I was just curious because if it was more valuable than I expected, I might get it re-set. As is, I like the old fashioned look of it, and I won''t be hanging around any gemologists to tell me the quality sucks :)

I''m wondering now if my university has anyone who could take a look for me. I''m a science major, so I''ll ask around.

If anyone is interested, I''ll post again when I receive it and let you know what I think.

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
I do not think this stone is worth a 100.00 appraisal. It is an alexandrite, you got a ring you like. It seems to have a rather pale coloring. Alexandrites that are of enormous value are deep vivid green (bluish green) to deep vivid reddish purple, or purplish red. Check the few threads here recently. I have a superb example of an oval, and Lovingdiamonds has a lovely pear shape. Those are the best of the best. It doesn''t get any better.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s also a milky stone (not fully transparent), and that affects value as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results