shape
carat
color
clarity

Cultured Red Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Shazz

Rough_Rock
How are you guys doing?
I''ve got a dealer who brought a "cultured" vivid red diamond(1ct) vs1 to me and is asking for Us$5000 for it. Im still very new(aprx 2yrs) in this trade and would like advice from my senior or well versed
counterparts.
Whats the standard price for a vivid red natural diamond? The only one i can remeber is the one the Sultan of Brunei bought(0.98ct) in 1987 for something like USD$800K per carat!
and what are your views on these Cultured Diamonds?
Thanks

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Dear Shazz

I think you should find out how it was made. HPHT or CVD?

check out this site http://www.lucentdiamonds.com they manufacture reds. It appears that their prices are from 4K - 40 K per carat.

But you need to compare apples to apples before you begin pricing.

In the last G&G there was an article about a diamond that appeared pink that was actually a coating. Great SEM photos of the coating, and a very interesting article.

Rockdoc

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somehow, RocDoc's post wasn't there when I started writing this. Much overlaps.

Take a look down here

red2.jpg

About syntetics, I really o not know what to think. First, it may be that what you were looking at is not syntetic diamond, but a color enhanced ones (see links: irradiation (?) or HPHT, and at GIA and AGA conference) which changes the question a bit. Actually, I have not heard of red syntetics, only color enhanced ones. But hei, of course I could have missed the news.

For price refference, you might want to look at Takara's listings for the price - there are no reds there, but I woul not know where to look for them.
7.gif

loupe

Rough_Rock
The latest Gems & Gemolgy has a great article on Lucent Technologies production of treated red to pink diamonds, called Imperial Red Diamonds. They are natural diamonds that have been treated with a combination of HPHT annealing and irradiation. They have been around since late 2003. There is no coating. To date, there is no such thing as a CVD red diamond. CVD is a synthesis, not a treatment. HPHT is a treatment. Lucent Technologies is very open about their pricing structure to the trade. Contact them and if they won''t talk to you, give me a call and I will contact them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results