shape
carat
color
clarity

Cultural appropriation or appreciation?

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
If I wear jewelry from another culture, is that cultural appreciation or appropriation? Where is the line? Thanks for making this an educational discussion, I’m seeking to learn!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've had a few discussions about it already. You might want to scan through them to seek answers to your questions:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I am far from an expert on that but I think we'd need a concrete example to go on here. ?

I don’t mind weighing in, thanks for tagging me @Daisys and Diamonds!

My personal view is that wearing jewelry, clothing, accessories etc from any culture is not appropriation, it is appreciation, as long as it’s done tastefully/respectfully, acquired through artisans of the culture, and avoids symbols with particular “meaning”.

As an Indian, I honestly love seeing people from other cultures get excited about wearing stuff from mine. But I also think it needs to be done tastefully. For example, learn the terms of the jewelry/outfit you’re wearing and call it by the right name (I got so annoyed at the SATC reboot which put Sarah Jessica Parker in a lehenga and called it a sari!!! They are not the same thing at all - it would be akin to putting someone in a pair of pants and calling it a skirt). Purchase it from a person from the culture - if you want to wear Indian jewelry, go for it, but I think it’s much nicer if you get it from an artisan who is Indian themselves. There are plenty of stores that would cater to all budgets, whether you want something as fashion jewelry or the real deal. And avoiding meaningful symbols, I think goes without saying - for example, chooda is a set of bangles that Punjabi brides wear on their wedding day and for a set period of time afterwards. They are quite specific/distinct, not like usual glass bangles, and they have a specific meaning or sentiment attached to them (they are used to identify a woman who has been married less than a year / less than 40 days, depending on the family culture). I would side eye anyone who wore these who didn’t belong to the culture.

Also, some things are appropriate at occasions which aren’t in daily life, for example, I find a maangtikka such an “Indian” accessory I myself can’t imagine wearing one with a dress / pants. I have to be in some form of traditional dress to make it work. So for foreigners who want to wear one, I would say save it for when you’re invited to an Indian wedding / festival celebration; where you’ll also be wearing Indian clothes. But traditional Indian earrings, like jhumkis or chaandbaalis, those can be worn with a dress or pants etc.

This is just my personal view. But I do think that culture deserves to be shared. It does no one any good if people belonging to a certain culture guard it jealously and hide it, so no one can learn from it, enjoy it, or partake in it. That’s how cultures die, honestly.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see absolutely nothing wrong with wearing jewelry from other cultures.
As long as you educate yourself about what it is an what it represents.
I love and wear jade, but I am not Asian.
I have several pieces of Hawaiian Heritage jewelry, but I am not Hawaiian.
I wear Native American turquoise and Middle Eastern gold.
I do a lot of researching when I get a new piece so I can know and appreciate my pieces and where they came from.

Last edited:

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
We've had a few discussions about it already. You might want to scan through them to seek answers to your questions:

Thank you!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
One of my best friends is Indian and I recently got to play with all of her wedding jewelry and her MIL’s wedding jewelry! I was dying over it. I would totally wear this necklace out even though it’s fancy! She said that she chose different items for her wedding because the gold necklaces seemed too old fashion for her LOL. Total appreciation is what I say!

99C6AE16-FA93-46C2-B43F-715F3CE99F8B.jpeg

5D3ECE6F-BE34-4430-83B3-E2DFD554F948.jpeg

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have limited patience for the whole concept of cultural appropriation. I got my hair done in beaded braids on a trip to Aruba - just for fun. Local ladies were doing it on the beach, I was there, it looked cool, end of story. That could have been taken as cultural appropriation, since I was a white woman, but as I am Irish and English, I could point out that braids have been used by my ancestors for MILLENNIA. MILLENNIA for heaven's sake! I'm not appropriating anything!

Political correctness is kind of pointless in these circumstances. Let's be woke in other ways, like not supporting the Don't Say Gay bill in FL. As intelligent people we need to be able to refine.

Also, I have a gold Greek key necklace. I'm not Greek. I have a fond appreciation for all things Greek, and wowed my tour guide with my Greek pronunciation (the benefits of a liberal arts education). I'm not Greek, but I loved Greece, loved the Greek people I met, and wear my necklace with fond memories.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, I'm wearing a sari at my son's wedding this summer. I'm not Indian, but it's the wish of the bride and her family that I do this, so cool! I'm just going with the flow. No one who looks at me will think I'm Indian. I'm not appropriating anything, I'm honoring the culture of my daughter-in-law to be, and it is what it is!

I'm sorry, but this is the melting pot, this is the USA at its best. Cultures blended and honored, families mixing. I'm all for it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also, I'm wearing a sari at my son's wedding this summer. I'm not Indian, but it's the wish of the bride and her family that I do this, so cool! It's just going with the flow. No one who looks at me will think I'm Indian. I'm not appropriating anything, I'm honoring the culture of my daughter-in-law to be, and it is what it is!
those are so pretty
when we were last in Wellington i had my nose pressed up aganist the window of a store that catered to Indian ladies

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
those are so pretty
when we were last in Wellington i had my nose pressed up aganist the window of a store that catered to Indian ladies

My son's ILs (the machutainim) are going to India to pick out the saris, because that's where the authentic ones live apparently, although I've seen lovely ones online lol. They have my measurements! My husband is Jewish, I'm a Celt, and my son is marrying an Indian. Welcome to the USA! The real USA that is, not the fiction that the Republican party is selling.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My son's ILs (the machutainim) are going to India to pick out the saris, because that's where the authentic ones live apparently, although I've seen lovely ones online lol. They have my measurements! My husband is Jewish, I'm a Celt, and my son is marrying an Indian. Welcome to the USA! The real USA that is, not the fiction that the Republican party is selling.

We will need pictures

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The women in my (Polish/Israeli) husband's family wore saris for our wedding too. They looked beautiful, they had a ton of fun dressing up, and the pictures are spectacular :love:

And yes!! The saris must be brought from India :bigsmile: And I'm confident they'll be gifted to you!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
One of my best friends is Indian and I recently got to play with all of her wedding jewelry and her MIL’s wedding jewelry! I was dying over it. I would totally wear this necklace out even though it’s fancy! She said that she chose different items for her wedding because the gold necklaces seemed too old fashion for her LOL. Total appreciation is what I say!

99C6AE16-FA93-46C2-B43F-715F3CE99F8B.jpeg

5D3ECE6F-BE34-4430-83B3-E2DFD554F948.jpeg

Wow those are stunning!!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Admittedly, when I read this, my reaction was "huh"?

I love learning about and sharing things across cultures. I've had friends being me back clothes and jewelry from their native countries...I assume that they are for me to wear :think: During Indian holidays, I've had co-workers henna my hands while telling me how they learned the art growing up and the patterns.

As others have said, as long as it's done with cultural understanding and appropriateness/respect, it never occurred to me that it would be considered anything but appreciation.

To me appropriation suggests that one is somehow blatantly taking/using something with significant meaning from one's culture contrary to its purpose for their own benefit.

But the fact that the question is being asked (and not the first time), does make me pause to rethink how some might see things.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I once met an elderly lady who was wearing a stack of hand wrought sterling bracelets.
Naturally, I asked about them. She said they were from Madagascar, because her parents were missionaries there.
So why shouldn't she wear them?

Another lady I know wears several etched gold bangles that she purchased in Iran. She's not Iranian. Of course she should wear them.
Just wear whatever jewelry that you love!
It's wonderful to explore other styles and cultures.

Last edited:

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
My two cents: Just wearing jewelry from a different culture would not be considered cultural appropriation.

It has to involve disrespect, mocking or blatant disregard of meaningful symbols that culture attaches to specific items, as determined by them.

It's also typically the dominant culture adopting things from non-dominant cultures while stripping them of their intended meanings.

For ex., as AllAboardtheBlingTrain mentioned above:

"...And avoiding meaningful symbols, I think goes without saying - for example, chooda is a set of bangles that Punjabi brides wear on their wedding day and for a set period of time afterwards. They are quite specific/distinct, not like usual glass bangles, and they have a specific meaning or sentiment attached to them (they are used to identify a woman who has been married less than a year / less than 40 days, depending on the family culture). I would side eye anyone who wore these who didn’t belong to the culture."

...And then of course you might have people who call things cultural appropriation when they're not and I'm sure it's also sometimes up to interpretation.

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I absolutly love this
(The lady in the foreground)
i don't have the neck for it
i think they start when they are younger
Screenshot_20220406-175144.png

I think with regards to borrowing something from another culture there should be love and understanding for that culture
We have that issue here with regards to Maori traditional tattoo designs

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results