shape
carat
color
clarity

culet polished or faceted?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bogus

Rough_Rock
does it matter if the culet on a h&a is not polished or faceted?
does it make and difference when I look at the diamond?
thanx sooo much
1.gif

so sorry I meant to say gidle. My daughter was ready for bath time and I lost my train of thought sorry.
wacko.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Culet = tip of the pavilion

It is always polished a bit so it doesn't 'stab' anyone or get chipped. On those ideals you would get a pointed culet - really not visible. In older diamodns it's large, a litle facet paralel to the table; you can really see through the diamond 'cause of it.

Facets are formed by polishing anyway...

Not sure I understand the Q
rolleyes.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The question does not compute???
Why don't you tell us exactly what the certificate says about the culet and maybe we can give you a clear answer.
A culet is either (A) none or pointed or (B) very small, small, medium, etc. If it is (A) there is no facet. If it is (B) the culet is a facet. It might be possible that if it is a facet that the facet is not polished. Will you see a facet that is not polished? Only of the culet facet is large.

Tell us what you are reading on the certificate.

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Is it abraded? Because otherwise it shouldn't be visible to you so that it appears unpolished or unfinished... That is, if we're understanding the question... Our personal preference is for very small culet's, GIA "none" or AGS "pointed" although some "very small" culet's are also acceptable providing that they are not readily visible through the table facet.

bogus

Rough_Rock
so sorry I meant the girdle. My daughter was ready for a bath and I lost my
thought.
wacko.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is very unusual in modern cut brilliants to get an non-faceted girdle. The visual impact may not be great, but it is the sign of a sloppy cut. It may show as a reflection face up (depending on cut, prbably not in a H&A) and it's inevitable reflection in the pavilion would be more pronounced... Especially if wider, it would show in one of those opened settinsg (say a four prong one) whch leave lots of girdle exposed.

Not sure you would want to get a stone with such feature and not one of the other 99% of them all with polished girdles
rolleyes.gif

bogus

Rough_Rock
so sorry I meant girdle
wacko.gif

bogus

Rough_Rock
so sorry I meant the girdle.
wacko.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, now your question makes a lot more sense! We prefer faceted girdles and find polished girdles acceptable because we like to see that the cutter's took a little extra time to finish out the stone properly. A bruted girdle would be one that is not polished or faceted, it's not the end of the world if all other factors on the stone are really wonderful, but we don't like the way it looks through magnification...

bling

Shiny_Rock
Im not sure i understand why a bruted girdle is so bad? okay, i may be biased because i have a modern cut RB that has a bruted girdle. It is an excellently cut stone..with great numbers and scores that blow most stones out of the water, super H&A, awsome IS image, less than 2 on the HCA, all VH across the Bscope, and a 9.7 isee2 (i know that some dont put much credit in those tools) at first i wasnt sure about the girdle, but when AGA appraised it, they made sure to check for bearding, to which there was none or soo little that high magnification was needed to see anything at all. i think to make a general statement saying that bruted girdles are a sign of a sloppy cut job are not really accurate and that it may depend on the cutter or vendor. i would have to say that its a personal preference on whether someone likes the bruted look. i dont notice really, since i look at my stone from the top mostly and not the side. as for the girdle reflection..i dont notice it at all or anymore than a faceted girdle reflection (my first stone had a faceted girdle). my stone isnt huge, so again, perhaps in a larger ct weight, the girdle would be more noticeable. now, this is not saying that all bruted girdle jobs are the same.. and that the folks warning you against it dont have some reasoning behind it. they are just telling you their experience as i am telling you mine. so, i say, see for yourself and go for what you like...just my humble .02!
naughty.gif
loopy.gif
9.gif

bogus

Rough_Rock
thank you sooo much for your input I have to admit I was getting a little
worried. I did call an independent jewler today and he said pretty much
the same thing.
thank you again for sharing your thoughts and experience
1.gif

bogus

Rough_Rock
I am wondering if the fact that it has a lazered number on the girdle would have anything to do with the fact that it isnt polished or faceted.
In any case I dont notice it when I look at it and it is beautiful and all
the numbers are great.
1.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
An unfaceted or unpolished girdle is, indeed, not common these days. But it's really no big deal whether the girdle is faceted or not, as a general rule, a faceted girdle is a sign that the cutter cared when he cut that stone. The only exception is where it comes to 'lower' colors (I-J-K-L)... In these cases a bruted, frosted girdle 'helps' the look of the stone when observed from the side, making it look a little whiter.
1.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
i dont think it has anything to do with the lazer inscribing since that is done after the diamond has been cut.
i have also heard that sometime the girdles are left unpolished to maintain a certain ct weight..if its right on the border. i agree that everyone has their own opnion on this but each diamond has a different story. if you love the stone, have had it appraised, and you still love the stone..then go for it!
appl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results