shape
carat
color
clarity

Culet Percentage?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Noy

Rough_Rock
I was looking at a GIA certificate for a particular diamond at BlueNile where the culet is stated as NONE. But in the diamond''s GCAL report (BN''s second certification for Signature diamonds), I see the Culet at 3.6%
confused.gif

Am I missing something or can the culet still be considered a NONE?

(also, this particular diamond is reported as IF in clarity.. accurate with a 3.6% culet?)

justme

Shiny_Rock
Can you post a link or inventory number so we can look at it? Thanks

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
3.6% would definitely not be a 'none' for a culet size. That is around a medium size culet. Would email BN to confirm..see what they say? Normally a none or vs culet would have a percentage of around .1-.9% or so.

If the culet is indeed more around medium, then this would not count on the stone as an inclusion, only the large range of culets may be considered inclusions on the stone, so this stone would not be an IF if it had a culet of say...4/5+%.

GIA is a pretty strict grading lab, so would be surprised if they listed 'none' and the other info says 3.6%. I would definitely try to confirm with BN, if they have the stone they should be able to check it.

Good luck!

Noy

Rough_Rock
The stock number on BN is LD00513089.

I haven't asked BlueNile about this issue yet, as I wasn't too sure what % qualified culet size on the GIA report.

(Btw, does this stone seems like a good value? Seems to be at least a 2A on the AGA chart for princess, except for the culet. Is 6595/Ct a good price?)

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
It doesn't seem as if you missed anything, but it sure
does look as if somethings not correct. No lab is perfect,
and machines make mistakes too.

Kirk

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
------------
only the large range of culets may be considered inclusions on the
stone, so this stone would not be an IF if it had a culet of
say...4/5+%.
------------

Hiya Mara! The size of a culet will (sometimes) be a determining factor in the cut grade of the stone, but does not affect the clarity grade. Clarity deals with only internal inclusions and external blemishes.

Otherwise, all your info is dead-on.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Sounds strange... Maybe there's a typo and the %age is 0.6... I'd call them and ask for informations... A 3.6% culet is very visible to the naked eye.

Giangi

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rich--Thanks for correcting me though I could have sworn I saw in my GIA course materials that if a culet is large enough it can be considered an inclusion! I am going to be obsessed hunting for that one line I am sure. Oh well..Sorry to mislead if I am wrong.

Giangi--I thought that a 3.5% culet would be more in the medium range? If that is the case, I read that a medium culet will NOT be visible to the naked eye, but will be visible under 10x mag. ? Then again, you are the one who saw pinpoints in a VVS so maybe you just have extremely good eyes?
2.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Dear Mara,

actually I wear glasses
9.gif
! I don't know how, but I spotted the pinpoints with my naked eye... I may add that I'm a GIA student.
The culet size is pretty big and unusual... Yes it's medium, but I'm pretty sure it's visible to the naked eye... Just like a small crystal in the center of the table. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's visible...

Giangi

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results