shape
carat
color
clarity

Cubic Zirconia are not as good as real diamonds because...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Volred

Rough_Rock
While shopping around in the mall stores, and the independent jewelers. I found one retailer that sold CZ's. I didnt get into a conversation with the salesperson. I did not know much about the differences, cept that the CZ's were cheaper. And if my girl found out that her diamond is a CZ she would go ballistic.

Next time I meet a salesperson that thinks that CZ's are the best thing since sliced bread, i want to have some ammunition that I can use to counter whatever arguements the salesperson might have.

If you have a good arguement about the manmade diamonds, feel free to comment on that also

This is what I know, advantages and disadvantages:
CZ's:
- Cheaper

Diamonds:
- More expensive
- More traditional

Manmade:
- Flawless
- Not yet colourless
- As expensive as regular diamonds, but time will lower that price

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
How about the best argument is I WANT A DIAMOND! To me, the diamond is a symbol of a unique structure of nature, sort of like a marraige. Full of imprities and imperfections, but still the hardest bond knonw to man. It's a very dense structure (like some spouses), and it sure as hell impresses people when put in the spotlight (like we all hope our marraiges will do).

It's a beacon of time, strengthening a simple abundant element like Carbon (which we are all mostly made of), and through years and year of pressure, out come the most expensive thing you'll ever waste money on! So much like a marraige!
9.gif

By the way, I am currently employed in the field of diamond advertising, hired by myself and paid by all the lovely pictures people post here!
naughty.gif
love.gif

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
CZ is zirconium oxide or yttrium zirconium oxide. It is much softer and less durable than diamond and if worn every day will have to be replaced in a few years. It is really suitable only for costume jewelry that you wear for fun and throw away when it gets worn out. All CZ is the same--don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It is sold by the pound, and only a few companies (mostly Russian) manufacture it. Some buyers coat their CZ stones with diamond-like carbon but this process adds nothing of substance beyond a 10,000% price increase.

Diamond is crystallized carbon. It is the hardest substance in existence and has a lot of other unique qualities. Whether it's worth the current market prices depends on your perspective.
2.gif

All three of your synthetic diamond points are incorrect. Synthetic diamonds have inclusions just like natural diamonds do, although they have different types of inclusions, most of which can be used to separate them from naturals. Colorless synthetics exist, but they are not yet economically feasible, that is, they cost more to produce than they would easily sell for in current market conditions. Colored synthetics are far less expensive than comparable fancy-color diamonds.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
CZ jewellery is fun and cheap and has its place in a jewellery wardrobe as we aren't all as rich as film stars and would have a very limited selection of jewellery pieces without simulated diamonds. I have no problem with wearing CZ jewellery and have a lot of it, but, having said that, I personally would not want one as the stone in my e-ring. That's just the way I feel.

However, some women feel differently and have concerns about diamonds (the cost, where they come from etc). They may prefer a simulated stone, and that too is fine. To each her own.

Just be sure which kind of woman your g'f is as this is not a mistake you want to make.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
two words about CZ's...

shiny glass

I want the real thing, mined from the ground.
2.gif

pauls girl

Shiny_Rock
personally, I would NOT want my e-ring to be CZ. I have a CZ bracelet that I got years ago, and it looks fine but you know, I always feel funny when I wear it. So, I don't wear it very often. People comment on how pretty it is, and I feel like I am an imposter. I usually say "It's not real" and then they laugh and say it's pretty anyway. But, I hate imitation anything, and that's just me. I would feel too self conscious wearing a CZ e-ring, as if I would have to explain that my diamond is simulated if people admired it too much. I would much rather not have a diamond in my e-ring at all than have a CZ.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I'm with Paul's Girl....I would not have a stone in my ering than have a CZ. I love the natural part of what makes a diamond so hard, and the man-perfected science/technology part that makes it so reflective and beautiful.

I wear CZ stud earrings sometimes, but they don't compare sparkle-wise to good real ones. (They do probably compare favorably to the "frozen spit" variety.) I've heard that CZ will dull and/or yellow over time, but don't know that for a fact. Maybe that's why you have to replace them periodically.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yea even I have to admit that cz in an e-ring is kinda lame.

They just dont hold up.

On the other hand I dont see anything wrong with them in necklaces and tie tacks.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I just got some little CZ earrings...same as 1/4 carat each diamond and I love them. They look very real to me.

I'm curious to see one of the better CZs in a wedding ring. I think I will get an Interlap stone put in my wedding ring when my daughter gets engaged. We've promised her my diamond and I will upgrade the diamond eventually. I've been tempted to get an "H" colored Asha because I think that would look the most realistic but I can't bring myself to spend over $400 on a fake.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought the Signity Star diamond in 1ctw for a pendant and it looks more like a diamond than most CZ's... it has H&A ....but it just doesn't hold a candle to my real stone, which isn't even ideal. So after seeing the comparison, I don't want to ever wear CZ's again. I'd rather wear smaller diamonds, which I do. Sorry Greg! hehee.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is very good advice, and you can count it one more time form my part. Also, it is very easy to see the difference between the two: CZ does NOT look like diamond. Dispersion tells them apart big time, and it does not take allot of experience to tell them apart from arm's length.

Something cheap, natural and white could be colorless sapphire. In all honesty, a blue one would be some nice replacement for the diamond in an E-ring, as quite a few other gems would. CZ - nope!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results