shape
carat
color
clarity

CS PSers, need your opinion!

kt

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone! Well, I think I told you my sapphire ring has made me now crazy about CS, this is NOT good. :tongue: I have been lusting after an antique/vintage-looking ring for AGES, and started finding some gorgeous designs here. Then, I discovered James Meyer....OMG, absolutely wonderful, but oh so pricey (and now you can't even get his stuff). But before I take the plunge into that look I thought I'd give it a try first.

I recently came across this setting that I LOOOOOOOOOVE - relatively simple but still with decorative elements like milgrain, beading etc...and a BEZEL SET - my favorite! It's from DanielM on etsy.com, and he can make it in unplated 14k white gold. So I think I may take the plunge. So my question is: what center stone to pick?

My initial thoughts:

1. Rose cut diamond - I really love the look of a rose cut, maybe in a warmer tone (k-m range) to complement the warmer metal. Also keeps the price down. Or, maybe a champagne colored diamond, but in yellow gold?

2. Color?? but what? I have my new deep blue sapphire ring so I don't want another dark blue stone, but maybe a light/med blue sapphire? like a grey-steel-blue?

3. How about a pink tourmaline? or would that be too fragile for fairly frequent wear? (i'd switch off with my other RHRs, but still...FWIW, I do only have a desk job, though). Would that be too stark against white gold? I could do maybe rose gold?? I do already have a pink sapphire rose cut band for when my daughter was born, so not sure do I need another pink? I tihnk if anything the color I pick might have to be a more delicate shade?

4. My daughter's birthstone is amethyst, which i'm not crazy about, but how about a soft lavender-pink spinel? rose gold? My birthstone is November and I've always thought an imperial topaz might also be too fragile....

Definitely want a cushion/squarish cut based on this design. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!! (I don't know whose pic this is - it was off a selling site, so apologies if this belongs to someone here...I do think it's gorgy!!!)

danielm example.jpg

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I think 14k unplated suits the look of this ring totally - may I suggest a yellow diamond center stone? Prices have been steady for a while, some industry people say it is underpriced, and they seem to be moving at a fast clip.

Yellow diamonds are super sparkly! Would look wonderful paired with 14K I think. The contrast would be lovely. No need to go yellow gold and kill off the contrast.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Nice setting. What colors do you like? You've suggested a wide range -- which ones do you wear in clothing most? Roam through some vendor websites & see what turns you on. From there you can narrow it down by suitability, price, etc. You'll be able to decide on metal color only once you know the color of gem you're setting.

Good luck -- sounds like fun!

kt

Shiny_Rock
Thanks JF! Yeah, I realize that I've got a lot of choices going on - hence my dilemma! This is what I know:

1. I wear mostly neutrals - black, khaki, gray, etc - i have a corporate job!
2. I don't think I want something super bright in this type of setting, which is why I hesitate about a pink tourmaline or pink spinel - but i'm certainly open to being talked into it!! :bigsmile:
3. If i'm looking for something lighter, then I've seen some people's silver spinels with tones of pink/lavender that would be nice; or a steel blue/gray spinel or sapphire? If I could afford it, a warmer tone diamond would be wonderful!
4. Shape wise, looking for cushiony-square...and if it's a diamond, I think i'd have to go with rose-cut to keep the expense down
5. Would like the cost of the stone to be $500 or under, if possible, but i can be somewhat flexible.

Tristan - I'd LOVE a yellow diamond, but I think my budget won't allow it! :(sad
But maybe cognac?

Whom would you reco for the spinel? And does anyone reco any good rose cut diamond sources?

faegrace

Shiny_Rock
kt ~

I LOVE that setting as well! I first saw it when perusing Daniel's SOLD items and then again on the site that shall-not-be-named. I was genuinely surprised to see it up for sale. :o It's really gorgeous, isn't it?

Given what you said about your wardrobe, job, etc., and the gem ideas you listed, the setting in white gold, I would honestly go for a lighter pink spinel. I know most will probably not agree, but my experience is that softer pink can be just as neutral, (kind of like red from a home design point of view), as a true neutral without being a diamond or other "traditional "neutral. It can also have phenomenal effect with that particular setting, your typical corporate clothing, and still with whatever you wear during off-hours. That hint of color will be close to the look of the original setting (while simultaeously claiming it as your own!) You would be able to have a high quality and larger center stone than if you go for a colored diamond too.

Whatever you decide, kt, it's gonna be striking! :bigsmile: Keep us posted and best of luck!

~ faegrace

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whichever colour or stone you decide on, since it is a bezel setting in unplated white gold, it is a good idea to consider the following:

1. Pick something that is light in tone. A darker coloured stone might black out in a bezel setting. The tone of the selected stone will most likely darken a notch once bezeled, especially if the pavilion is enclosed.
2. A gray coloured stone will appear grayer when bezeled in a white metal, as it plays up that tone.
3. Tourmaline and amethyst are fine for a RHR with care. Topaz is actually quite hardy and with the bezel, should be able to tolerate everyday wear.

kt

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info, FG and Chrono!! Especially the part about the gray being accentuated in a white gold setting - hadn't though of that! I think i'm leaning towards a pale pink/lavender, I guess the challenge would be to find a spinel or sapphire that has no gray in it given the metal and the bezel setting. I am thinking if I find something in the pinkier/lavender tones to have Daniel make the bezel itself in rose gold and the rest of the ring in white?

i'm now scouring all the sites for stone options so if anyone sees a nice 7-8mm stone that could work for this design, please give me a heads up! =) (or, of course, an affordable diamond! ;))

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
If you really like it..maybe you can get a good price on the exact ring as the person who comissioned it seemed like they ended up wanting something else and placed it for sale. I would get to googling.

kt

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I saw it for sale on another site which is the first time I saw it but I don't think it's available anymore..... :(( and I think the diamond made it kind of expensive, even for secondhand!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results