shape
carat
color
clarity

CS Pet Peeves

voce

Ideal_Rock

GS100174.jpg
I can't even not shut up and not say something. I suspect this is a fault with a cutter. I don't mind native cuts, or even intentional windows, as those decisions don't always waste the gem material. This is such a lovely gem color, but the cut makes two rectangular windows or fish bellies and two triangular windows or fish bellies. I suspect it's a brilliant crown a crossed with a step-cut pavilion, the effect of which I think is a travesty because it does not show off the gem material but rather makes it look cheap.

This is one of my colored stone pet peeves. Please share any you have!

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't even notice the flaws of the cut when I posted that stone but yes you are right, my bad. I was thinking of color only.

With FCDs I have a lot of pet peeves regarding cut. Often there are colorless or dead areas. But I understand the FCDs are a whole different realm, with many reasons to do this (enhance color in most of the stone, better color grading, save weight...)

heres a fancy yellow where the edges are problematic, unfortunately this seems to be pretty common 477151-radiant-fancy-si1-yellow-d1717.jpg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't even notice the flaws of the cut when I posted that stone but yes you are right, my bad. I was thinking of color only.

With FCDs I have a lot of pet peeves regarding cut. Often there are colorless or dead areas. But I understand the FCDs are a whole different realm, with many reasons to do this (enhance color in most of the stone, better color grading, save weight...)

heres a fancy yellow where the edges are problematic, unfortunately this seems to be pretty common 477151-radiant-fancy-si1-yellow-d1717.jpg

Wow!!!! I've never seen one like that!!! That's really interesting in terms of why it came to look like that!

demantoidz

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!!!! I've never seen one like that!!! That's really interesting in terms of why it came to look like that!

check out this fancy yellow green...
So, pet peeve is basically a lot of colorless or dead areas in FCDs.
408691-cushion-fancy-vs1-green-f87e1.jpg 408691-cushion-fancy-vs1-green-f525e.jpg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I also like native cuts, but lots of asymmetry (presumably to preserve weight), especially bothers me. Particularly cabochons that have lopsided domes. It drives me bonkers. I can’t find a cab that fits my complaint, but I know I have seen a number of them…here’s a wacko stone tho that drives me crazy

4283ADE2-EF74-4EB0-93D4-472D7072E31C.jpeg

FinewaterGems

Rough_Rock
Trade
The dark areas are not windows but rather reflections of the camera lens, and are very typical of any stone with a step-cut pavilion that's photographed head-on with a big macro lens. Note that the dark areas do not appear in the hand shot photo, and would very likely not be visible in real life.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
My main colored stone pet peeve is that over 90% of the ones I see are way too small for my manhands! (and most of those that do fall within the 5-10 carat range and with good specs are out of my budget).

Good thing we can get such a variety of gorgeous, precision cut lab stones around here! :)

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like brilliant crowns with step cut pavilions.
Yavorskyy/Preus type stones.
seeing some of Glenn’s stones in person was a treat and I do hope to have one someday :dream:
I think my grey spinel cushion from @FinewaterGems is maybe brilliant/step too?

eh- takes all kinds of people in the world and I’m glad we don’t all like the same things.
I can appreciate a concave cut, fantasy cut or a checkerboard top, but don’t think I’ll ever own one, as they aren’t my ‘thing’. They don’t evoke peeve though.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
The dark areas are not windows but rather reflections of the camera lens, and are very typical of any stone with a step-cut pavilion that's photographed head-on with a big macro lens. Note that the dark areas do not appear in the hand shot photo, and would very likely not be visible in real life.

Very true.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@FinewaterGems @fredflintstone sorry, I didn't browse the actual listing and only saw the picture with the reflection of the macro lens.

It is my impression that gems with a brilliant crown and a step cut pavilion tend to show prominent tilt windows. Can you please answer, since you have more experience, whether this is true?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
My beloved spinels. It begins to feel like everything(I exaggerate) being first Mahenge! and now more recently jedi! and cobalt! commanding ridiculous premiums regardless of saturation, modifiers, inclusions or cut quality.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is my impression that gems with a brilliant crown and a step cut pavilion tend to show prominent tilt windows. Can you please answer, since you have more experience, whether this is true?
Not who you asked
But yes it’s something more noticeable esp in larger/elongated sizes, from what I’ve seen.
IMO, of course.

Last edited:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Clarity/inclusions, transparency of treatments! I also am overwhelmed by the CS world, don't know how to differentiate high vs. low quality and vendors. I wish there was a site like Blue Nile or James Allen that would allow me to search through lots of CS.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Clarity/inclusions, transparency of treatments! I also am overwhelmed by the CS world, don't know how to differentiate high vs. low quality and vendors. I wish there was a site like Blue Nile or James Allen that would allow me to search through lots of CS.

The closest thing to Blue Nile or James Allen in the CS world where you can search a database of CS is Multicolour.com or Pearlman's.

margauxmines

Shiny_Rock
eh- takes all kinds of people in the world and I’m glad we don’t all like the same things.
I can appreciate a concave cut, fantasy cut or a checkerboard top, but don’t think I’ll ever own one, as they aren’t my ‘thing’. They don’t evoke peeve though.
I like concave cuts and I would probably buy one. With you on fantasy and checker cuts; they're cool, can appreciate them, but I wouldn't spend on them.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lack of a good crystal body, sold as glowy/silky, but at a premium price.

They aren't all that rare and at the gem markets, going for mucho less dinero.

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
@FinewaterGems @fredflintstone sorry, I didn't browse the actual listing and only saw the picture with the reflection of the macro lens.

There is no definitive answer other than to say it depends on the cut shape and angles. Of course, the better cut the stone is, the less tilt window in most cases. But tilt windows are just a fact of gemstone cutting. More elongated cuts may show more of a tilt as already been said, but only because they are longer and some are wide, But again, it comes down to the quality of cut.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Trilliant cut anything. Why?? I have never seen a diamond center stone in a trilliant cut - why do they do this to colored stones? Literally, cut your losses! Make it a round!

Normally the shape of the rough dictates the shape of the finished stone. Rough diamonds are not very often well shaped for a trillion, some colored stones are. I find that trillion designs often perform very well, with excellent light return and produce a lively stone. You don't see a lot of them on this site, as most people do diamond halo's around stones, but designer jewelers like trillions and do unique and interesting things with them.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Normally the shape of the rough dictates the shape of the finished stone. Rough diamonds are not very often well shaped for a trillion, some colored stones are. I find that trillion designs often perform very well, with excellent light return and produce a lively stone. You don't see a lot of them on this site, as most people do diamond halo's around stones, but designer jewelers like trillions and do unique and interesting things with them.

I love trillion cuts...even prefer them over elongated cuts. What I hate is that so most require custom settings which add to the cost...the one reason that always makes me pause in buying them,

My biggest pet peeve is how vendors use and emphasize the word "natural" for highly treated gemstones.

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
Trilliant cut anything. Why?? I have never seen a diamond center stone in a trilliant cut - why do they do this to colored stones? Literally, cut your losses! Make it a round!

I have a few trillion colored stones, and the quality of the cut on them is good, but IDK they don't resonate with my happy place as well as a round would. Plus, a few years ago a student called my trillions my illuminati jewelry, and now I can't wear it without feeling super self conscious that someone half my age is judging me for it. :lol:

But, I do have to say, pears are my pet peeve shape. Those are the ones I'm like "why isn't this just a round?"

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I have a few trillion colored stones, and the quality of the cut on them is good, but IDK they don't resonate with my happy place as well as a round would. Plus, a few years ago a student called my trillions my illuminati jewelry, and now I can't wear it without feeling super self conscious that someone half my age is judging me for it. :lol:

But, I do have to say, pears are my pet peeve shape. Those are the ones I'm like "why isn't this just a round?"

Most CS crystals lend themselves better to shapes other than round, with which there is a lot of waste in rough.

I have pear shapes that I love love LOVE. PXL_20201214_185529482.jpg
I've not been able to find any spess more neon than this 8x6 beauty. It's just not as loved by the camera as much as my paraiba pears.
PXL_20210720_192431166.jpg
IMG_20200425_175346.jpg
The shape of the paraiba rough could probably be used to cut the pears at these sizes or to cut a round with half the face up size. For the same price (rounds are more expensive because of wasted rough), I'd prefer a nicely cut pear with more surface area glow than a round with only half the face-up size.

I appreciate all shapes because they make for more options in terms of interesting geometries in layout compared with round shapes.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock

"Illuminati jewelry" - I like it! But I will never think of this one the same way again - a trilliant in an eye...

TrilliantEye.jpg

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
. . . I prefer a nicely cut pear with more surface area glow than a round with only half the face-up size.

I appreciate all shapes because they make for more options in terms of interesting geometries in layout compared with round shapes.
Your pears are lovely. I should really try to incorporate your appreciation of all shapes into my thoughts when I'm on the hunt for a particular color. It would probably open up more options and variety is good.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love trillion cuts...even prefer them over elongated cuts. What I hate is that so most require custom settings which add to the cost...the one reason that always makes me pause in buying them,

My biggest pet peeve is how vendors use and emphasize the word "natural" for highly treated gemstones.

My pet peeve with trillions, pears and these odd shapes is that often it’s hard to find secure settings for them. Many are only three pronged, and if you don’t have v-prongs or extra thick prongs, you can lose the gem.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results