shape
carat
color
clarity

Cruises are starting soon !!! Would you go for a 7 day Cruise this time ?

Cruises are starting soon !!! Would you go for a 5 / 7 day Cruise this time ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s up to the cruise companies to ensure that all passengers, staff and crew are vaccinated and tested prior to embarkation to stop outbreaks on board. If they don’t do that, they shouldn’t be allowed to sail. In 20+ cruises, we’ve never had Norovirus, but having spoken to other passengers who’ve told us they had it but didn’t disclose it before they boarded, (on other cruises) that kind of reckless behaviour can not be blamed on the ship.

We’ve often wondered if people who’ve flown in a few days pre-cruise have contracted it at the hotels they’ve stayed in. The turnover there would be such that they may not show symptoms until after they’ve boarded.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think a lot of what is reflected in this thread is the fact that most cruisers are a little older and younger people have less interest in this type of travel.

The average age worldwide of most people that are on a cruise is 46.8 according to research, but if you look at the graphs of the PDF, at certain countries the average age is lower.

The cruise industry may have a problem on its hands with individuals in the United States and elsewhere, that fall between the ages of 21 and 40. The type of general cruise experience that they are offering with the amenities is usually not what that demographic seems to be interested in if you look at other travel trends. When I say general cruise experience, I am not talking about the luxury ships that are referenced in this thread, where the price of a ticket starts at thousands of dollars per person, plus additional charges for activities and airfare. That type of vacation is not accessible to a lot of people at a baseline.

I'm almost 40. Of the people that I know that take cruises, they are either my parents ages, or they have young children and it's the most convenient vacation, because they have a built-in child care program that does not cost extra.

It will be interesting to see if the cruise industry actually continues to grow with people or of it simply just doesn't fit the younger demographic. I honestly can't see myself wanting to go on a cruise even as I get older. My thought is that there is a good chance that the cruise industry shrinks, simply because passengers above their average age are not interested in that type of vacation.

My parents and their friends love it. They tell their friends in return. But that doesn't give growth to the next generation of travelers.

Screenshot_20210419-131428.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210419-133021.png
    Screenshot_20210419-133021.png
    84.8 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

HollyJane

Shiny_Rock
My dad was adamantly against going on a cruise. My mother started going in her late 50s without him and with a group of friends. She loved cruises. Finally, she got my dad to go in his 60s, and he loved it! They went on a few cruises togetger before mom got too unwell to go. They have both passed on now, but if they were alive and well they would probably still go.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
One more thing to consider - cruise lines are claiming that their employees are going to be vaccinated, but with which vaccine? Since staff come from many countries, I think it's entirely possible that they will be vaccinated with vaccines that may be questionable by US standards (and Chinese officials have openly admitted are less effective).

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We took our son & DIL on a cruise a few years ago, son in his 30’s, DIL in her 20‘s, they absolutely loved it @elizat, they especially loved all the food and great service, but as you say, not something that would normally be in their price point, but we paid so they enjoyed every minute. They did say they would enjoy going on another at some stage.

It’s interesting that we’ve actually been seeing some younger people on the cruises in the last couple of years, but they’re the cruises where you’re in a different port everyday and there are lots of interesting places to visit, so pretty active. There are definitely cruise lines which attract the older cruiser, friends of ours always went on Crystal and said you could barely get down the hallways for all the mobility scooters. :mrgreen: I would hazard a guess that the average age we cruise with is around 60. The caribbean definitely attracts older guests because they leave from Miami, so no flying. My DH was the one who wanted to try cruising, I wasn’t that keen, but finding the right cruise line is definitely the key to enjoying the experience.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@Austina I did have a look at the luxury and premium lines mentioned. They do look nice and very different that the mass lines with the big ships that most people have experience with when they cruise.

For things like Alaska and the Antarctic, I do think a cruise makes some sense for certain. I asked my other half he'd ever like to do that and he gave me a firm no to that suggest and said no thank you to both ideas. :roll:

The big issue is the price though. I like the idea of not flying somewhere and just taking a boat there and back, and would be okay with that, but I don't have that lifestyle! If I did, I think I'd rather like it! With most American companies giving between 7 to 10 days total vacation, I think it makes travel harder.

If I thought my parents would do the nicer lines, I'd contribute to that for them for a trip. But, my mom and dad get really uncomfortable with places they think are "fancy." My dad is very blue collar. I think my mom would be better with it and okay, but he would feel out of place. If I though they'd do a river cruise or smaller line that was more upscale, I would buy them a trip. In the past I have bought vouchers for the lines they go on rather than more "stuff."

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kids are 30, 33, 36 and 38 and they all enjoy cruising. We have a big family cruise next March. Even the spouses who thought they would hate it want to go again. We go Disney mostly when kids are busy at school. The passengers are mostly over 50 or LBGT couples in the 25-50 range. No weird shows, no big shopping, just nice clean fun. We have been all over the world.

snowballs mom

Shiny_Rock
We took our son & DIL on a cruise a few years ago, son in his 30’s, DIL in her 20‘s, they absolutely loved it @elizat, they especially loved all the food and great service, but as you say, not something that would normally be in their price point, but we paid so they enjoyed every minute. They did say they would enjoy going on another at some stage.

It’s interesting that we’ve actually been seeing some younger people on the cruises in the last couple of years, but they’re the cruises where you’re in a different port everyday and there are lots of interesting places to visit, so pretty active. There are definitely cruise lines which attract the older cruiser, friends of ours always went on Crystal and said you could barely get down the hallways for all the mobility scooters. :mrgreen: I would hazard a guess that the average age we cruise with is around 60. The caribbean definitely attracts older guests because they leave from Miami, so no flying. My DH was the one who wanted to try cruising, I wasn’t that keen, but finding the right cruise line is definitely the key to enjoying the experience.

My daughter and her friends are in their mid twenties and love Celebrity, which tends to skew older (but not super old). They are not heavy-duty partiers so they prefer an older crowd that is still active and fun, but not super rowdy. For their next adventure, they are discussing a transatlantic cruise to England, then traveling up to Ireland.

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Absolutely not. The idea of cruising freaks me out because I think about all the germs and being trapped in the water with all of those people. That was pre Covid-19. Now it's a millions times over a hard no.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter and her friends are in their mid twenties and love Celebrity, which tends to skew older (but not super old). They are not heavy-duty partiers so they prefer an older crowd that is still active and fun, but not super rowdy. For their next adventure, they are discussing a transatlantic cruise to England, then traveling up to Ireland.

We did one celebrity and found ourselves at the young end of the crowd. the food was the best I ever had but the entertainment was really boring. Nice ships if you love shopping and gambling. I was also impressed the top deck was grassed. They also had an indoor pool which was awesome except it was filled with old ladies doin water exercises all the time.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No cruises for us as it's really not our style. But we just booked a fishing trip in Alaska for our 20th anniversary this summer. I am beyond excited!! So, we will be on a charter boat (4 day trips and overnight in a lodge), not exactly a cruise ship lol.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We had several trips in mind for the near future including cruises to Alaska, Greek Isles, and Danube riverboat. We definitely won't go in 2021. I am not sure it's safe yet, I do not plan to take any experimental drugs or vaccines, and while I do wear a mask to go in stores or other offices locally, I would not enjoy wearing them on vacation. Fortunately we live within a 2-4 hours of the mountains and beach. My husband's family has a small house in a beautiful mountain town, and we share a condo on the oceanfront with friends. In both of those situations, we can enjoy the beautiful outdoors and life seems very normal which is a treasure! So thankfully, the beach and mountains are our periodic vacations throughout the year regardless of whether we are ever able to take big trips again.

mihirksh

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the response ... i just got an email about a Cruise company starting many ships and i was like ...really people still want to cruise ? ...
Check this out .. 2021-04-21 (2).png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results