shape
carat
color
clarity

crown angle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
what is the visual affect on the diamond with regards to crown angle? For example, crown angle of 34.1 as compared to 34.8? How does the diamond look different or does it really not make any difference?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely tagline! Can't believe I haven't see it this far. So true
1.gif

Date: 12/24/2005 2:06:04 PM
Author:diamondsrock
what is the visual affect on the diamond with regards to crown angle? For example, crown angle of 34.1 as compared to 34.8? How does the diamond look different or does it really not make any difference?

To make a fair comparison, it would take two very similar stones only different by those angles. Basically:

.... assuming the pavilion angle is the same and it 'works' with both crown angles (it is the match between the two that makes or breaks brilliance, as far as I understand).

... assuming everything else about the diamonds is the same (including the size and cut of minor facets)

... and assuming there is a real difference there - not a measurement glitch.

... and given good enough symmetry so that these differences are not swamped by the 'random' looks.

All these said, there may be some slight difference. Under H&A viewer or Ideal Scope you may see more of it than in normal viewing conditions.

My 2c.
34.gif

IMO, expect some slight difference of 'personality' - not some objective quality difference.

Not sure diamond photos would show much (if someone would have just the right examples). If you find DiamCalc models informative, I could put up some.

Hope this helps.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
combine both with a 40.9 pavilion angle and the lower crown height would be slighty brighter and the higher slightly more dispersive.
IF the lgf% was the same and thats a big IF.
The lower crown height is a better match to a longer lgf% and the higher one a slightly shorter lgf%.
All the facets are related and when talking this level all have to be considered.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
A few thoughts...

Although I think Ana makes the main point...

Date: 12/24/2005 2:17:32 PM
Author: valeria101

.... assuming the pavilion angle is the same and it ''works'' with both crown angles (it is the match between the two that makes or breaks brilliance, as far as I understand).
where the match between crown & pavilion make the main point, it''s possible that Storm''s level 2 is getting more at what you were looking for.

Scanning on the search by cut database, I saw no great difference needed in pavilion angles for one or the other to make the diamond work (picking out 40.8 for 34.1 and 40.7 for 34.8), this also confirms the tighter range that pavilion angles work within, the greater warning away from pavilion angles like 42, and also, the observation that the search by cut database seems to have lost the ability to sort on either crown or pavilion angles, to the extent this was a helpful practice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results