shape
carat
color
clarity

Cross Country Driving

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Anyone here has done cross-country driving before? From one coast to another I mean.... I will start my trip on Saturday and will appreciate any advice and inputs from those of you who have done it! Thanks in advance!!

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
I''ve driven cross country multiple times...are you driving alone or with a friend? What kind of advice are you looking for? I''ll think back to those trips for any helpful tips...

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
My boyfriend and I will be driving from Pittsburgh PA to San Diego CA. We hope to do it in no more than 3 days in a crowded Honda Accord :)). So far I have prepared bottle water and snacks in the car so we don''t need to stop too frequently. We fear the traffic in memorial day weekend may be a problem but there is little we can do about that at this point. My questions are:
1) is it better to drive mostly during the day?
2) what helpful items would you suggest to bring with you in the car?
3) any tips to make the drivier more comfortable?
Thanks!

piccolascimmia

Shiny_Rock
Ooh, fun drive :) I assume you've already mapped out your route?

Personally, I would only drive during the day...its just easier/safer. If you're going to be driving at night, I'd be really careful about where you're stopping for gas/hotels, and don't drive sleepy. Have you figured out where you aim to stop for hotels along the way? That helped me too...you don't "have" to stop there, but its a nice goal/safe haven to aim for.

I've never driven without my cell, charger, snacks, drinks and music. Oh, and sunglasses. Beyond that I don't really recall bringing anything else special.

Definitely bring suntan lotion for the arm that is closest to the window...nothing more embarrassing than having one arm burned due to the drive!

Hmmm, beyond that I don't recall anything else glaring. I think its more a common sense/safety thing once you get in the car and drive...don't rush things and cause yourself a problem. Just be patient and aware even if you've already been behind the wheel for 6 hours
35.gif

Good luck on the drive! I've always enjoyed my cross country trips...you see a lot of America that is soooo fascinating! Have you checked the web/maps for interesting points along the way? I've always made a few stops along the way to see things, americana, national parks you may never get to see again! (and it helps with road fatigue)
41.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We did it this past December.

Advice: Do not stay at America''s Best Value Inn. Ever.

After one indescribably horrid night. We stuck to Holiday Inn Expresses whenever possible.

Are you taking pets with you?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Audio books, audio books, audio books!

Haha, and I definitely second the suggestion for the suntan lotion for the window arm & leg. I showed up to my brother''s college graduation half sunburnt from my drive from Boston to Baltimore.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree books on tape. I have done NM to Washington DC and NM to Savannah, Ga and NM to San Diego but that was 3 different trips. Have a safe one!!!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I second Audio books. You can download them from itunes. When we drove from NM to Portland this winter we joined a subscription thingy. Forgot the name (audible.com?).

Also make sure to stick in the car a roll of toilet paper and a roll of paper towels. That Purell stuff is great too!

Rest areas are great places to stop. They''re usually fairly nice and more pleasant than a gas station.

Driving at night is more tiring than driving during the day because of the oncoming headlights. At least I think so.

Good Luck and wishing you a safe drive!
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
drive all night sleep during the day. You will make better time.
get off the highway in the evenings and mornings and enjoy the country.
Its a crime to stay on the highway and not enjoy the country side.
Take a lot of pictures!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Big Hello to Everybody from Joplin, MO.... :D

Let''s see, after 14 hours of pretty-much non-stop drive at 70-80 mph. We have seen sunny sky, smoky roads, rainy cloud, pouring stormy rain, severe thunder, one running deer, 5-10 dead deers, one crowling oppossum in the middle of the road, 10-20 dead ones by the road, and a bunch of cars......

How is that for our 1/3 of road trip??? Unfortunately our timeline does not permit us to have the luxury of country driving. But I am really impressed with my boyfriend for driving almost 1000 miles in just one day! Just 1500 more to go, yeh!!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy smokes great job on 1/3 of the way. Be safe
2.gif

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Hello from Gallup, New Mexico!!

We did another ~900 miles today and will have ~600 miles to go tomorrow, then we will be in San Diego!!!! Everthing ia rigt on track except for the hotel we found tonight has no restaurants near by.
7.gif
BTW I find the northern part of Texas to be a significantly huge land of nothingness. What's up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results