shape
carat
color
clarity

Crooked Princess on an X Prong?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nachoman

Rough_Rock
I just got a 1 ct Princess on the Vatche XProng. From my untrained eye, the diamond does not quite look exactly centered/straight on the setting. In other words it looks very very slightly rotated when viewed from above. Is this fairly common? My fiance doesn''t mind but I''m just wondering how hard it is to get the diamond on the setting perfectly. Unfortunately I don''t have pictures, but I was wondering if anybody else has seen the same type of thing.

Nachoman

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply Steve. When I lay it on a table, I do notice that only one of the prongs touches, the other one is lifted slightly. This only happens on one of the sides though, on the other side both prongs lay on the table. I do notice that the curve of the prongs as they rise from the base of the setting is slightly different for each. I''m not sure if slight differences in the prongs is giving me the illusion that the diamond is crooked or it really is crooked.

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/15/2004 4:56:51 PM
Author: Feydakin

Lay it on the table with one edge of the diamond laying on the table.. Then look at the shank, can you see a noticable twist?? Or does the princess get lifted off of the table (one corner) by the weight of the ring??
Excellent advice.

Adding to Steve''s method ; I will sometimes place the diamond just hanging over the edge of a level table, so just the ring is on the table (and diamond hanging over) get your eye-balls down level with the table and diamond. Look for level as mentioned, if it looks off, turn ring 180 degrees and if you see the opposite ''tilt'' to the diamond, you know the diamond is not square.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results