shape
carat
color
clarity

Crisis Averted (I Think) - Thanks To You Guys

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

joshmv

Rough_Rock
(sorry if this becomes a bit long)

My soon to be fiance and I had been shopping for rings for a while, and I finally bought one on Saturday, but luckily I found your forum that changed my decision a little bit.

We were never really into the scientific part of shopping for rings, we just went to the different stores in the mall to try some on. We found the brick & mortar store we felt most comfortable with and after a couple trips she finally tried on a 1.1 carat diamond that she loved because it was big, and I decided to break down and get it the next day because it was a 1 carat I could actually afford.

I knew it was an F in color which was good, and I knew it was an I2, which I knew wasn''t so good, but didn''t pay too much attention since she''d already put it on and didn''t notice anything. After coming home with the GIA report I started to research all these strange new terms, unfortunately I wasn''t too pleased with what I found...

After finding your board, I found out about things like how important the cut is, and what makes the diamond actually sparkle and come to life. The diamond I had bought only had a GIA estimated cut grade of: Fair, the table % was in a good range, but the depth was at 69.4% which I quickly found out was not a good thing. I plugged everything into the Cut Adviser tool and it didn''t even want to register with it, and when I told it the depth was 68% it said the visual appeal was a 6.1 (groan).

I decided to go back to Riddle''s Jewelry today and actually do some real comparison shopping. I looked at the ring I had picked and could see a big black inclusion in the middle I didn''t even notice before. There''s no doubt in my mind after a couple weeks she would have probably been unhappy with the diamond, so I was glad I came back. I told them I was willing to go down in size if it meant a better looking diamond, and they pulled out some better brilliant cut rounds and their own "Noveske" 90 facet rounds.

The regular rounds were eye clean, (SI2), and the Noveske was an I1. I could see the little inclusion in the Noveske, but it was really small, and with the cut you really couldn''t see it very well even after staring at it for a while. I then had her do some tests like putting the two in different kinds of lighting, and it was clear the Noveske just popped in almost any sort of light. When I had her compare the Noveske and my 1 carat I originally purchased, it wasn''t even close. I had to go pretty far down in size, it''s a 0.71, and it even added about $150 to the total, but I really do think this will be the better decision.

If you want to take a look at the report for my diamond you can go to:

www.Gemex.com and my diamond # is: BT-0804001

Sorry for the long post, I hope you guys like my story :)

Josh

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Josh and welcome!

Well it definitely sounds like you made the right decision to return the first diamond! I tried the link you provided to check out the second, is it possible you could link the report directly please?

joshmv

Rough_Rock
Hey Lorelei, thanks for the reply.

Sorry for that link, I know it''s kind of vague. The closest link I can get is:

http://www.gemexlive.com

Then you just click "Launch Live Report For Web"

Then you can copy and paste in my report # and say "Load as report 1"

It''s a popup so I can''t link it directly. It''s pretty cool though, I hope you get to check it out.

Josh

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 3:03:09 PM
Author: joshmv
Hey Lorelei, thanks for the reply.

Sorry for that link, I know it''s kind of vague. The closest link I can get is:

http://www.gemexlive.com

Then you just click ''Launch Live Report For Web''

Then you can copy and paste in my report # and say ''Load as report 1''

It''s a popup so I can''t link it directly. It''s pretty cool though, I hope you get to check it out.

Josh
Thanks Josh, that worked!

The diamond looks great on Bscope, do you have the proportions of the diamond, depth, table, crown and pavilion angles etc?

joshmv

Rough_Rock
I''m glad you think so!

Unfortunately the diamond didn''t come with a GIA report like my first one, it just came with this Gemex report. I wish I had all the dimensions since I now know what it all means and I could plug it into the Cut Adviser, but I was mainly wanting to do that just so I could see how much fire and life it has, and from looking at it at the store and in the Gemex report I''m pretty happy with that aspect at this point.

Is it possible to send it off to get a GIA report at some point? If so, how much does that cost?

Thanks,

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 3:22:27 PM
I'm glad you think so!

Unfortunately the diamond didn't come with a GIA report like my first one, it just came with this Gemex report. I wish I had all the dimensions since I now know what it all means and I could plug it into the Cut Adviser, but I was mainly wanting to do that just so I could see how much fire and life it has, and from looking at it at the store and in the Gemex report I'm pretty happy with that aspect at this point.

Is it possible to send it off to get a GIA report at some point? If so, how much does that cost?

Thanks,
I am not familiar with the Noveske, but I take it this is a branded cut with the extra facets? Have you actually bought the new diamond and have it in your possession now? It is often best to buy a diamond with a GIA or AGS report, you could send the diamond off to GIA but have you considered buying a diamond with an existing GIA or AGS report if you aren't tied into this deal? It is sometimes difficult to judge these cuts by our normal standards - for example - The Leo diamonds are usually cut deep, so it is hard for us to estimate the cut quality of these branded types. I could be wrong but from the image I would guess this diamond is of the more shallow type which could make it look very bright and brilliant. What I would suggest Josh - (feel free to ignore this if you are happy with this diamond though) is to find a Jareds if there is one near you, and take a look at their Peerless diamonds. These are AGS0 cut grade, take a look so you can compare this Noveske to some of pretty much known cut quality. That way you will have a good basis for comparison and will know if the Noveske is the right one for you both!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Welcome
35.gif

What is the return policy like?

I would be inclined to find out if you can return for a cash refund.

If not, I would be inclined to get an appraiser to look at it to see if it does not comply with the advertised spec. If so then return it under your equivalent of ''not as described''. If you think it will genuinely match their advertised spec then this option does not apply.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 3:50:10 PM
Author: Steel

Welcome
35.gif

What is the return policy like?

I would be inclined to find out if you can return for a cash refund.

If not, I would be inclined to get an appraiser to look at it to see if it does not comply with the advertised spec. If so then return it under your equivalent of ''not as described''. If you think it will genuinely match their advertised spec then this option does not apply.
S, from what I understand he has returned the original diamond he wasn''t happy with already and now has a replacement he is pleased with.

joshmv

Rough_Rock
Ya, I''ve already exchanged the original diamond, but I didn''t really have to return it because I never took it home with me. It was left there to get sized and they hadn''t done it yet so I just went in and changed the ring. This one is set to be done on Friday to pick up.

I appreciate your suggestion Lorelei, I just wish the nearest Jared wasn''t 2 hours away
7.gif

I tried to look it up online, but couldn''t find actual prices for the Peerless diamond. How much do their 3/4 carat rings usually run? If it''s not much more, it may be worth a trip up.

So is making the diamond really shallow just a trick to make it read out better on the Gemex, but makes the stone less valuable?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2009 4:14:18 PM
Ya, I''ve already exchanged the original diamond, but I didn''t really have to return it because I never took it home with me. It was left there to get sized and they hadn''t done it yet so I just went in and changed the ring. This one is set to be done on Friday to pick up.

I appreciate your suggestion Lorelei, I just wish the nearest Jared wasn''t 2 hours away
7.gif

I tried to look it up online, but couldn''t find actual prices for the Peerless diamond. How much do their 3/4 carat rings usually run? If it''s not much more, it may be worth a trip up.

So is making the diamond really shallow just a trick to make it read out better on the Gemex, but makes the stone less valuable?
I am just speculating that the diamond might have shallower proportions from the Gemex image, but I can''t tell for sure, like I said I could be wrong! Also with these branded cuts it is possible being cut shallower or even deeper is a common characteristic but again this is pure speculation as I don''t know anything about this particular cutting style. Someone recently mentioned prices for Peerless, they have a different type of pricing structure from what I understand. If you are interested in an AGS0 or GIA Excellent and are open to buying online, if you give us an idea of pricing then we could make some suggestions for you.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at the Gemex. I think you would do better with a traditional stone. And what is this about no GIA report? A branded, specialty cut from a company that goes out of their way to get a Gemex report/have a machine but no GIA or AGS report is not cool, IMO.

RBsearch

Rough_Rock
I don''t know much about Gemex. I would prefer to buy a diamond that has been graded by a lab with reliably high standards (GIA or AGS). Why stray from this? I think lack of certification is a red flag.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results