shape
carat
color
clarity

Created vs. natural

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
Does a created sapphire look very different than a natural one? Can most people tell the difference?

Sam82

Shiny_Rock
I should probably clarify my question. I''m not looking to buy a synthetic stone. I''m asking because I want to know if I go into a jewelry store and they tell me that it''s a natural stone, is there a way to tell the difference? I bought "natural" pearls at a store for $30. I liked them so I bought them. I don''t really think they were real. I would hate for that to happen when buying a stone. Thanks, I hope I have not offended anyone.

RNgemlover

Shiny_Rock
Some synthetic sapphires have a look that just isn''t right. And one quick shot under the microscope will show it to be synthetic. For me... The facet edges always seem odd. Less sharply cut, and more rounded in appearance. Most do not demonstrate internal inclusions that are found in natural sapphires. They often have bubbles in them which are a dead giveaway. Or, some Chatham created sapphires have tell-tale whispy inclusions that can be spotted by the eye. In short, I would say yes, they could tell it was synthetic.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Sam82, welcome to colored stones.

In answer to your questions. No and no.

About your second post. If you do not feel like you can trust your vendor to supply you with natural stones I would suggest you find an independent gemologist to verify the jewelers claims. My question about this situation is why would you do business with someone you have no trust in?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think unless you know what to look for and have the right tools, it will be difficult to tell the difference between a real sapphire and a synthetic. We've already experienced one such case here on PS where the synth was so well done that an experienced vendor and gemologist were even fooled. I would only buy from trusted vendors who stand behind their products.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2009 9:09:08 PM
Author: Chrono
I think unless you know what to look for and have the right tools, it will be difficult to tell the difference between a real sapphire and a synthetic. We''ve already experienced one such case here on PS where the synth was so well done that an experienced vendor and gemologist were even fooled. I would only buy from trusted vendors who stand behind their products.
Ditto. There are bad synths, and some scary good ones, I am sure.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results