shape
carat
color
clarity

Created Emeralds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
Jewellery sellers in Australia are required to describe created emeralds as such, but I''ve never seen this on US sites, even with stones that would appear to be created emeralds (by the price vs the dark glassy green colour). Is there a requirement to disclose whether a stone is natural or created? I have emailed on online retailer to ask whether the stones in a piece are natural or created, but they haven''t replied.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I would presume anything that looks too good for the price to be synthetic until proved otherwise.

In the UK, it must be disclosed - I would be VERY suprised is disclosure isn''t mandatory in the US.

Lack of a reply would say a lot to me about that vendor''s integrity (unless you emailed them an hour ago or something similar!)

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 8/21/2008 1:00:22 AM
Author:MishB
Jewellery sellers in Australia are required to describe created emeralds as such, but I''ve never seen this on US sites, even with stones that would appear to be created emeralds (by the price vs the dark glassy green colour). Is there a requirement to disclose whether a stone is natural or created? I have emailed on online retailer to ask whether the stones in a piece are natural or created, but they haven''t replied.

Yes, our U.S. Federal Trade Commission requires disclosure of "cultured," created, synthetic stones, etc. But there''s "many a slip ''twixt cup and lip." There''s really no enforcement mechanism except maybe in the case of very large fraudulent operations. There''s also the question of how U.S. law can apply to a seller in Bangkok, for example. EBay is notably lax in weeding out fraudulent sellers and if you''re buying gems there it requires both gem knowledge and "buyer beware" vigilance. Read ALL the fine print and use your own good judgment. Nice natural emeralds are very expensive. As Pandora mentioned, lack of response from the seller would tell me a lot.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
If it looks perfect and it''s less than $10K+ then it''s Chatham. Too me they just look fake. I prefer a slight bit of jardin.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 11:45:40 AM
Author: Richard M.

Date: 8/21/2008 1:00:22 AM
Author:MishB

Yes, our U.S. Federal Trade Commission requires disclosure of ''cultured,'' created, synthetic stones, etc. But there''s ''many a slip ''twixt cup and lip.'' There''s really no enforcement mechanism except maybe in the case of very large fraudulent operations. There''s also the question of how U.S. law can apply to a seller in Bangkok, for example. EBay is notably lax in weeding out fraudulent sellers and if you''re buying gems there it requires both gem knowledge and ''buyer beware'' vigilance. Read ALL the fine print and use your own good judgment. Nice natural emeralds are very expensive. As Pandora mentioned, lack of response from the seller would tell me a lot.
What Richard said....also if pearls have been dyed or colored...this also must be disclosed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results