shape
carat
color
clarity

created (aka synthetic right?) alexandrite questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
I had a gut reaction moment the other day, and purchased a "created alexandrite" ring for my wife, just because it looked pretty cool, and I was looking for a nice, but not extravagent gift. it should arrive today, but I was wondering some things.

I bought it on overstock.com, and it said "created alexandrite" so I know it isn't natural, and I am not too worried about that, but i thought the color and blending of the purples and blues looked really cool.

I read a bit more, and it seems like there really isn't a whole lot of actual synthetic alexandrite to be had, and is often synthetic corundum. Do you think that overstock would be selling the corundum as alexandrite, without knowing? and is there a big deal about synthetic corundum anyway? since alex is an 8.5 and corundum a 9 on mohs, and they are both man-made anyway, why a big difference? does the synthetic sapphire just look bad? I've attached a picture of the ring.

I am sure the diamonds are pretty much junk, but for a simple fun ring, i figured why not. it wasn't very expensive.

So what's the deal? anyone know? i guess I am not even sure of my qestions.

oh wait. i do have one. is synthetic alexandrite or corundum ok in an ultrasonic cleaner? just bought one of those sharper image ones.

T1145916.jpg

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Synthetic alexandrite and synthetic color change sapphire have two different looks.

The alex changes from green to red (both usually with heavy modifying hues), while the sapphire changes from purple to blue (with heavy modifiers).

The synthetic alexandrite is usually more expensive than the synthetic c/c sapphire.

Both are usually safe in ultrasonics. Just don''t leave them in for hours with high heat.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
synthetic lab grown sapphire comes in large (300+ ct.) pieces called boules, and sells for around $.20/ ct.
Synthetic grown alexandrite usually is available in smaller pieces, but I have seen it in 25 ct. pieces or more, and usually sells for $3.50 to $5 per ct.
It takes around 4 cts of rough to cut 1 ct finished stone.

sylvesterii

Shiny_Rock
well, the ring came, and it is pretty nice. nothing too exceptional, however that picture above does not do it justice. from what you said richard, i am guessing that it is probably (purple to blue color change) means it is likey color-change sapphire and not alexandrite. except for one thing... in that picture it looks like the color is purple and blue, but the actual stone changes from an almost mint green color to a purple color, and almost brown in some lights...hrm.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results