shape
carat
color
clarity

Crazy Rich Asians

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning looking women and stunning jewellery :love:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

WOW!! I would love to have Bulgari till the cows come home but it could never look as well on me as it does on these stunningly beautiful ladies here. I wish!! AFM, I have lumberjack hands, muscles, and suntanned (damaged skin). It would be wasted on me!! (better stick to the cheap stuff....LOL)

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have anywhere to wear the jewelry they have on!:lol:

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Went to see it a second time last night. Dolby Cinema. 20 dollar movie ticket is about as crazy rich as we get. :D

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That jewelry is to die for!:love::love::love::love::love::love:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like the clothes are to die for also...

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so interesting. I have a cousin who raised a kid by herself, in the middle of Russia. That sperm donor her ex husband did not even pay child support.

So my cousin's child graduated as an engineer and attended classes of Chinese for a year. After that, 2 out of 500 kids from these classes were sent to China to practice. He was one of the two.

In China, he got a job. He said, I don't speak Chinese yet, the people hiring him answered, you'd learn.

So in 2 years, he came back and started applying to best Asian schools for Ph.D. Wanted to get to Japan, but no luck. Anyhow, got into one of the oldest and best Chinese universities.

I asked him what he liked about Asia as opposed to the US (where he did not want to go), he said, "in Asia, people need very little".

How can it be explained in view of the film?

(He meant, inherently people needed less stuff).

Reactions: DAF

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to see this! Glad so many liked it. I haven't watched any trailers yet but one of my most favorite movies ever is the Joy Luck Club and I watch it usually once a year. I love the cinematography but the relationships between the generations is such great storytelling. I don't know any crazy rich people of any kind so the bling and rich will be interesting!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Went to watch the movie last night with DH and my parents. Loved it. Was mainly there for the bling but pleasantly surprised that the leads really sold it for me, even Henry Golding in his first movie role. He reminds me of Hugh Grant in his breakout role from Four Weddings and a Funeral.

Also, could they have made this movie without Michelle Yeoh, who knows the ins and outs of being super rich. I had to laugh when I read this article about how she came to loan the film her ring:
https://people.com/style/crazy-rich-asians-engagement-ring-michelle-yeoh/

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is so interesting. I have a cousin who raised a kid by herself, in the middle of Russia. That sperm donor her ex husband did not even pay child support.

So my cousin's child graduated as an engineer and attended classes of Chinese for a year. After that, 2 out of 500 kids from these classes were sent to China to practice. He was one of the two.

In China, he got a job. He said, I don't speak Chinese yet, the people hiring him answered, you'd learn.

So in 2 years, he came back and started applying to best Asian schools for Ph.D. Wanted to get to Japan, but no luck. Anyhow, got into one of the oldest and best Chinese universities.

I asked him what he liked about Asia as opposed to the US (where he did not want to go), he said, "in Asia, people need very little".

I think it can be explained by the fact 99% of the people need very little and have very little (especially in China). The movie is a view of the top 1%, I imagine.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're going to see this tonight and now I'm wondering how I'll focus on the storyline and not just the AMAZING bling!!!!!!

:geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2::geek2:

jamtengee

Rough_Rock
I might be in the minority but I enjoyed the fashion and bling more than the story line (which was still cute, but pretty cliche)

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Went to see it Friday. Loved it!

Why do the characters all have posh British accents? And is it really true that Londoners were/are so prejudiced against Asians as recently as 1995? (I'm referring to the opening scene.)

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was curious about the accents as well.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I loved the movie, both the bling and the story line.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The accents are from being educated overseas. English is one of the official languages of Singapore (legacy of British colonialism), and they have their own local accent as well.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just saw it for the second time. I noticed more jewelry this time than I did the first time (too busy concentrating on that magnificent emerald ring the first time).
I also noticed a lot more nuances with the characters.
Michelle Yeoh has the most regal bearing I have ever seen.
In some scenes, when Eleanor looked at Rachel, it seemed like Eleanor was thinking “I know you’re going to win this, but I’m not going to make it easy for you. I want to see what you’re really made of.”
I need to see it again to be sure I didn’t miss anything

Last edited:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Went to see it Friday. Loved it!

Why do the characters all have posh British accents? And is it really true that Londoners were/are so prejudiced against Asians as recently as 1995? (I'm referring to the opening scene.)
There’s a scene where it talks (briefly) about the elite being sent away to boarding school for education. I’m not sure about the other though... I hope someone can chime in with that knowledge.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I take it he had not watched 'if you are the one' at that stage. Or heard the idiom 'I would rather cry in a BMW than laugh on the back of a bicylce.'

From someone who has spent a little time inside Tsinghua, Peking and USTC, and lived in wudaokou, the culture is very sheltered there. It is its own little microcosom. They are nothing like singapore. For that matter they are nothing like the rest of china either. And I've seen the very rich areas in and arround shanghai pudong, and the very poor in anhui where they stare at me as I walk down the street. The chinese ellete universities are a totally different world.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take it he had not watched 'if you are the one' at that stage. Or heard the idiom 'I would rather cry in a BMW than laugh on the back of a bicylce.'

From someone who has spent a little time inside Tsinghua, Peking and USTC, and lived in wudaokou, the culture is very sheltered there. It is its own little microcosom. They are nothing like singapore. For that matter they are nothing like the rest of china either. And I've seen the very rich areas in and arround shanghai pudong, and the very poor in anhui where they stare at me as I walk down the street. The chinese ellete universities are a totally different world.

That is pure gold! Just read it to Pink Bandit who is a jolly/hippy sort of fellow and he straight away declared he'd go for the bicycle while looking rather horrified at the idiom. :lol:

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is pure gold! Just read it to Pink Bandit who is a jolly/hippy sort of fellow and he straight away declared he'd go for the bicycle while looking rather horrified at the idiom. :lol:

Haha, it is actually a rather significant piece of modern chinese pop culture. To give you an idea

https://www.google.com.sg/search?ie=UTF-8&client=ms-android-samsung&source=android-browser&q='I+would+rather+cry+in+a+BMW+than+laugh+on+the+back+of+a+bicylce.'#scso=_4dCSW8OVIcvtvATTiIHoBg15:0

(using google and english obviously isnt going to give the most hits, but you get the idea.).

I am also Aussie, and my husband is a Kiwi so he kind of considers this one a good joke. I think that is just the Kiwi sense of humour though, they invariably find a way to not take things too seriously.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results