shape
carat
color
clarity

Crazy neighbors

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have lived in this neighborhood for 10 years and know most of the people on our street but not many on the other streets. The lots are minimum one acre so people in this neighborhood like their space. We do too.

Tonight my husband, two of our kids, and I were driving to dinner. My husband spotted a purse in the middle of the road (not our road). It was really strange, wallet, phone, keys, everything just laying there. I looked at the driver's license and the address of the lady was a couple of houses down. So I took the purse to her door. I rang the bell and waited a minute or two. I heard someone inside so I rang it again. No one ever opened the door and I never saw anyone through the glass. A lady started yelling at me. She was saying weird stuff. "Do you really want to do this?" "Who the f*** are you?" Everytime I tried to tell her that I found her purse, she yelled the same things. I was getting a bit freaked out. I tried to tell her that I was her neighbor on the corner and I found her purse. But she kept interrupting me with "Do you really want to do this?" And then she said, "I will shoot you! Don't think I won't!" I dropped the purse and ran to the car.

I am still so upset. I was terrified. My kids were scared. I probably shouldn't have told them but they did see me running like mad to get to the car. DH is quite upset too. Y'all this is a nice middle class/upper middle class neighborhood. WTH? I guess she's just crazy. I would bet she was under the influence. But this is just not right. I am not even sure why I am posting this. Really, what can I do other than avoid her? Strange and scary.

TimMD

Shiny_Rock
With me being the "worst case scenario" type and with the weird circumstances of finding her purse/phone/wallet in the middle of the road, I probably would have called the police for a welfare check as it doesn't sound like you ever actually saw the person on the other side of the door. I agree whole heartedly with getting the heck out of there, you went above and beyond attempting to bring the purse back, but with the weird response you got, I would want to make sure that that was the actual neighbor in the house and that they and/or anyone else in the house was ok.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With me being the "worst case scenario" type and with the weird circumstances of finding her purse/phone/wallet in the middle of the road, I probably would have called the police for a welfare check as it doesn't sound like you ever actually saw the person on the other side of the door. I agree whole heartedly with getting the heck out of there, you went above and beyond attempting to bring the purse back, but with the weird response you got, I would want to make sure that that was the actual neighbor in the house and that they and/or anyone else in the house was ok.

Oh thank you for pointing this out. I didn't think of that. We were all so upset. I will call now.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I'd venture she might have been in some altered state to have lost her purse. There are worse possibilities ,(

I would make the call too.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just woke my husband to ask about calling the police. He said that as we were driving off, he saw the woman open the door and pick up the purse. He said it was the woman in the DL picture. He says not to buy trouble by calling the police since she knows our car and could easily figure out our house. My friend who lives on the lady's street said she was crazy and there had been trouble in the past with her. Ugh.

TimMD

Shiny_Rock
I just woke my husband to ask about calling the police. He said that as we were driving off, he saw the woman open the door and pick up the purse. He said it was the woman in the DL picture. He says not to buy trouble by calling the police since she knows our car and could easily figure out our house. My friend who lives on the lady's street said she was crazy and there had been trouble in the past with her. Ugh.

I work in the medical field and I can say I admit a patient at least a couple times a month found not acting right by their neighbors. Leaving purse/wallet/keys in the middle of the street sounds more like an altered person than just "crazy". And this is coming from the guy that has lived in the same house for 17 years and know none of my neighbors so I am all about keeping to myself.

I am sure she is fine but again I am just a worst case scenario guy.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have lived in this neighborhood for 10 years and know most of the people on our street but not many on the other streets. The lots are minimum one acre so people in this neighborhood like their space. We do too.

Tonight my husband, two of our kids, and I were driving to dinner. My husband spotted a purse in the middle of the road (not our road). It was really strange, wallet, phone, keys, everything just laying there. I looked at the driver's license and the address of the lady was a couple of houses down. So I took the purse to her door. I rang the bell and waited a minute or two. I heard someone inside so I rang it again. No one ever opened the door and I never saw anyone through the glass. A lady started yelling at me. She was saying weird stuff. "Do you really want to do this?" "Who the f*** are you?" Everytime I tried to tell her that I found her purse, she yelled the same things. I was getting a bit freaked out. I tried to tell her that I was her neighbor on the corner and I found her purse. But she kept interrupting me with "Do you really want to do this?" And then she said, "I will shoot you! Don't think I won't!" I dropped the purse and ran to the car.

I am still so upset. I was terrified. My kids were scared. I probably shouldn't have told them but they did see me running like mad to get to the car. DH is quite upset too. Y'all this is a nice middle class/upper middle class neighborhood. WTH? I guess she's just crazy. I would bet she was under the influence. But this is just not right. I am not even sure why I am posting this. Really, what can I do other than avoid her? Strange and scary.
im so sad this happens to you especially as you were being neighbourly
i too think it sounds like a mental house thing
im sure she has family - sister, mother or whoever would who appreate you calling someone
my friend is a cop and she often has to go see people like this

we don't live in such a nice neigjbourhod but people are friendly
tonight we got a flat battery- Havn't beem out for a week as have flu and its been frosty and its time for a new battery
it was very dark out
we went to the shop to buy milk
Other half waa just getting his big battery pack thing out of the car and someone had already done a u turn and had their jumper leads out
the number of times we have rescued people stuck on the beach
what goes around comes around
you did the right thing
im sorry your kids got a fright
take care and pat yourself on the back
the crazy lady did get her wallet back

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg @ceg so scary! I am glad you and your family are A-OK !

Here in Europe a threat involving any kind of weapon would be a reason to call the police, PRONTO but I do understand that it's a bit different in the US.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh @ceg, how scary and I'm especially sorry your kids had to see that.

I agree with @TimMD in that your neighbor seems mentally unstable and who knows what she is capable of so you did the right thing by dropping the purse and leaving ASAP. Threatening she would shoot you is not just over the top but truly terrifying and I think I would have called the police as soon as I got out of there. I really hope she doesn't have firearms. Dangerous combo firearms in the hands of someone who is perhaps mentally ill or just plain volatile. I guess she could have been on drugs/Rx meds/alcohol etc causing her strange behavior or it could just be she is not mentally well.

IDK but how frightening and glad you got the heck out of there. I'm so sorry but relieved you got away from the situation safely.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I once owned a condo unit where the upstairs neighbor behaved strangely. It started when late at night I would hear repeated metallic banging noises above me. At one point, water started leaking from my bathroom ceiling. I told the building manager but they did not seem to want to get involved.

Finally one day I went upstairs to ask the neighbor (whom I'd never seen or met) what was going on. He had a hand-drawn sign on his front door, something about warnings about the government. I knocked on the door. He came near the door and spoke to me briefly but would not open the door. I don't remember what he said but it did not resolve the situation.

Later I was told the owners of his unit were his parents, and that he was living there against medical advice (he had previously been in some sort of medical facility). The late night 'banging' and water leaks were due to him taking a baseball bat to his bathroom, which was directly above mine.

I was also told he had a history of moving around the building, and cutting the ends off the emergency fire hoses that were housed on each floor. He was also accused of walking into one lady's unit while she had left it unlocked, and stealing her house keys. That was a bit alarming.

At some point later he moved out, and his family repaired the unit. I eventually sold mine for unrelated reasons.

Anne

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Yikes!

Maybe a welfare check later just to be sure. Far enough away that she won't link it to you, but if there is something wrong, she can get help. I'd talk to the police to see of they can delay it and your reasons why.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
@anne_h that's crazy!

In my old house, I had a neighbor I thought was so odd. I almost called police multiple times..she would tell me that strange vehicles were watching her outside the house- there were never any and she was an horrible hoarder.

We had a hurricane headed right at us- Irma- and I actually went into her yard to clean it up and secure all the crap. We had a fence luckily separating us, but she was not well. She was feeding racoons and possums cat food- which explained why I saw them walking the fence line in a very non rural area...the inside of the house was awful. I always wonder what happened to her.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crack is a hell of a drug!

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh wow! I am glad you are ok.
It was nice of you to return the purse and of course I am sure that if you find this persons property again, you will let the police give it back to her and stay out of sight. I would have been terrified too! I hope she gets the help she clearly needs.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad none of you got hurt and sorry your kids had to see that too!!! She sounds like she was drunk or drugged out - on the flip side perhaps someone has threatened her in the past or perhaps someone in her family took her wallet and put it there, there could be someone or something nasty in her life that has made her weird and paranoid..... I always say you can never really judge someone until you walk a mile in their shoes.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe she is schizophrenic and paranoid? If so best to not call the police because there is a risk she will fixate on you and your family. Very sorry you had to endure her behavior. You sound like a very nice person and someone I would like as my neighbor.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe she is schizophrenic and paranoid? If so best to not call the police because there is a risk she will fixate on you and your family. Very sorry you had to endure her behavior. You sound like a very nice person and someone I would like as my neighbor.

This is exactly why DH said not to call the police. She is obviously unstable and after looking outside this morning we realized that her house is much closer than we even thought, very easily seen from my house. I also talked to my other neighbor and she said that the lady had threatened to shoot her dog once when it came into her yard. I am concerned about the lady but my priority is my family and their safety. In Texas, most people let crazy be crazy. In 10 years, I haven't had a run in with her so I am hoping that if I just keep away, it will be ok. I'm still a bit freaked out though.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If this happened to me I would have dropped the purse and run like hell for the car after she mentioned a gun. Seriously what sane person would talk about shooting a gun at someone who knocked on their door. I would tell my kids to not go near that house. My priority would be my family too.

Hey @ceg, maybe she didn’t want anyone to see her without her make-up on LOL!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I am freaked out a bit...

Are threats to shoot made by an unstable person, valid reason to report anywhere?

I do not immagine any threat to you, other than finding one day that you are living in the near neighbourhood of some sordid piece of news.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’re a good egg ceg! ;)) I hope you don’t let this weird and frightening scenario determine how you will act in the future. How disturbing when you had good will and kindness in your heart to be met with that type of violent reaction. I wish you were my neighbor :kiss2:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish you good luck, ceg. I have mixed feelings about calling the police and/or social services. I wonder if you could wait a few days then call the local social service department. Of course if you do not have a department that is well funded, that may do no good. A lot depends on how much money the community has and how much the community has decided to appropriate for social and mental health services.

I worked for the mental health area of my town's social service department many years ago, but our town is exceptionally wealthy and has a great social service department. I have been a social worker in poorer communities where there is no money in anyone's budget for anything at all. In towns like those, people are lucky to find food and are probably sleeping on the couches of relatives if they cannot hold down good jobs.

Unfortunately, being mentally ill in a poor area gives people terrible options.

I agree with everyone who praised you. Thank you for your kindness to others.

Deb

PS-We were the people who got sent out to check on these people. (This woman does sound like a schizophrenic talking to her voices.) I used to get intimidated when clients screamed and threatened me, but my supervisor never did. I loved to go on these calls with her. She got called every name in the book and it never fazed her. You wouldn't believe the people she was able to help!

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Years ago when I was pregnant (visibly) with our first son I was walking our dog and my crazy a$$ neighbor was in his truck and accelerated towards me. Just for reference I was where the sidewalk would be if there was one and he was parked in front of me, so it's not like I was in the street. I had to jump out of the way to avoid getting hit and saw him laughing as he sped off. He was angry because he believed the dog poop he found in his yard was from our dog. Yeah....

He is still down there, the cops have been called a few times to his house for domestic issues with his wife. These people are best avoided, you just don't know what is swirling around in their head. @ceg, I'm glad you didn't get hurt and got out of their with your family safe and sound.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Texas, most people let crazy be crazy. In 10 years, I haven't had a run in with her so I am hoping that if I just keep away, it will be ok. I'm still a bit freaked out though.

Oh my goodness @ceg! Anyone would be freaked out. That takes it all to a whole new level. Guns. Dangerous under normal circumstances but add in mentally unstable and recipe for disaster. :errrr:
Glad you are A OK and yeah sounds like you need to just keep your distance but so upsetting she has a gun.:nono:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy , I don't know that she has a gun. But the fact that she said it was enough for me!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy , I don't know that she has a gun. But the fact that she said it was enough for me!

Same!
I won't get into a political discussion about gun control but just another good reason it shouldn't be so freaking easy to get guns.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeeeah... telling me you’re going to shoot me is an instant call to the police. Whatever her problem is she should probably not be running around your neighborhood right now.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found out today that she is a severe alcoholic. Could explain why her purse was in the street, maybe she drove with it on her car and didn't realize it fell? If I see her driving erratically, I will call the police. We are all avoiding her house. She is married so her husband has the brunt of taking care of her. I am guessing he wasn't there last night. She needs help but I am sitting this one out.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ceg I am sorry you had to deal with that. At least you know one of the issues is alcohol. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors...the alcohol could be self-medication for mental illness and just exacerbated things. Often there is some type of other substance abuse involved, or people refuse to take the meds they’re prescribed to help with the mental illness symptoms. Of course I would steer clear, but if she is driving her car in your neighborhood and you suspect she is impaired, I wouldn’t hesitate to call police and report her.

I used to live across the street from a very eccentric couple, one half of which was a man who was an alcoholic who was off the wagon most of the time and would drive drunk frequently. Lots of kids I the neighborhood so of course we were all worried about him hitting a kid although he drove at a snail’s pace and would wave you around him if you happened along behind him. Police were called many times. He served some time in jail. Lost driving privileges, dried out, then fell off the wagon again and ...rinse, repeat. Very sad. They were otherwise nice people except for that time she coaxed a skunk into their house and next thing I knew the poor sheriff was out there having to deal with that craziness. I could’ve written a book about their antics.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can go you one better if we are digging up really old neighborhood stories, Monnie. Many, many years ago an attractive alcoholic (who may have been mentally ill) lived a few streets down. She was divorced. She may have been sleeping with different men...for money or not no one would know. One day she showed up drunk and naked up at this end of this neighborhood and a woman wrapped her in a tablecloth and saw her home. After many years of her living there her house was burned down. Her next door neighbor was accused of setting the fire, allegedly because she had been seeing her husband. I do not know if the neighbor went to jail. The house was destroyed. I am not sure where the divorcée went to live. I guess I was to young to get all the important details!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results