shape
carat
color
clarity

Crazy FCD buy? .016 stones...

I recently acquired a cute little (.91) OEC that I am thinking about setting into a pendant.
Well, yesterday I was bored and started browsing the FCD sale.
I found these...

"A parcel of 12 diamonds, mix color weighing a total of 0.19cts, average weight 0.016cts.The color combination is Fancy Yellowish Green, Fancy Orangy Pink,Fancy Pink, Fancy Gray.
Stone size: 1.6mm. SI clarity"

Is this a crazy buy? (just under $400)
I am thinking about alternating the stones with white diamonds around the OEC... but is .016 too small to ask someone to fiddle with?

4771_di_image_066ae.jpg

Here's my OEC... it's light yellowish.. maybe N O P? I took this pic with my iphone... and a loupe! haha
The diamond is reflecting the back of my multi-colored iphone case too.

photo.JPG

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I had a heug soft spot for this parcel of stones when browsing that site: I love how all the varied colours gel together. I have no idea if it's too fiddly a job? My hunch is that it would be possible, just quite spendy to commission. Personally - plus as you have a gorgeous centre stone too - I think it would make an absolutely stunning piece. So I guess it comes down to how much you would be looking to spend on a setting...? :twirl:

I am imagining a long pendant - not journeyish, more structured - made of the varied parcel colours, ending with the OEC? It would be - for me - a shame to dot them about with white melee, as their appeal for me is how good they all look together, you know?

I hope you decide to go for it! :Up_to_something:

The only reason I am thinking about alternating is because there are not enough stones or length to go all of the way around.. I think I would need about 18-22 :wacko:

My husband is already going to kill me as I bought ANOTHER OEC too (this one is already in a ring though) :bigsmile: so what's one more project :devil:

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Ah yes, of course. I guess that's why my mind went to the long pendant thought instead of a halo. Possibly one could semibezel (maybe plus milgrain to keep it OEC-y in flavour), and semihalo in the spaces? - has that even ever been done? ha!

I love that you're buying OECs, as I'm drooling over them atm and I can NOT spend a single penny more! I can live vicariously through you! *whispers BUYBUYBUY*

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny showed me a similar parcel of stones earlier - the colours are fantastic!!! I think they'd be great around an OEC!

Yeah I think there was a slightly larger parcel.. that is no longer on the site... eep...

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very pretty! I love the colours.

They can certainly be set, but I don't think a halo is the best way to use them - they are, after all 1.6mm (that is thinner than many micropave bands, for comparison). Prong or bezel setting will probably overpower them with metal. Pave or flush setting will probably show them off better.

Oooh - scatter those babies on a band! Get a matte finish, which will really spotlight their sparkle.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are really really pretty.

Lovely colors born deep within the earth billions of years ago.
They are the product of rare and strange geological phenomenon.

Now they are yours.
Lucky you.

I have not purchased them... yet. I know they are not "top colors" by any means but for some reason the parcel just sings to me. It wasn't my original plan to buy FCD for the oec.. but.. I'm stuck here.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
They're SO pretty. Go for it! If they sing to you, they're meant to come live with you. How do you cut stones that small?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I say go for it too! Very pretty stones, I think they would look great with your OEC!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty stones and great colors.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bean|1310161132|2965019 said:
I recently acquired a cute little (.91) OEC that I am thinking about setting into a pendant.
Well, yesterday I was bored and started browsing the FCD sale.
I found these...

"A parcel of 12 diamonds, mix color weighing a total of 0.19cts, average weight 0.016cts.The color combination is Fancy Yellowish Green, Fancy Orangy Pink,Fancy Pink, Fancy Gray.
Stone size: 1.6mm. SI clarity"

Is this a crazy buy? (just under $400)
I am thinking about alternating the stones with white diamonds around the OEC... but is .016 too small to ask someone to fiddle with?

Pretty colors.
They "fiddle" with melee all the time, and aren't melee often 1 point?
These are 60% bigger.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love those colors! I hope you pulled the trigger. I have no concept of just how small they are, but I sure do lurve them!! Yes, Yes!

OKay.... I think I've changed my mind on the whole setting. I felt like the stones (while gorgeous) just are not big enough.
:saint:

Maybe one day....

But I have a plan for the OEC and another OEC I've been hanging on to for the last 10 months as well :twisted: :twisted:

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
I think those are def. way to small. There is a point when a gem is to big and a point when they are to small. I was trying to figure out just how big that would be in comparison to things around the house. I have had lots of .05-.10 stones that were rarities but never a .01. It should be a little smaller than 2 standard grains of sugar put together if I am correct...whew. Awesome color though.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Does anyone have an accurate-ish estimate of the measurements of those little stones? if they are the size of the pave stones... they would still be visible... but perhaps not for this project.

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock
I'm sure whichever way you go will be beautiful. You really can't go wrong with that beautiful OEC. My melee are 1.8mm and I really love them.

JewelFreak, I've wondered the same thing? How do they cut gems that small?

I think they said 1.5mm to 1.6mm

I just don't understand how they look so nicely cut for stones that small! LOL Which is why I didn't think they were that small to begin with.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bean|1310419706|2966752 said:
I think they said 1.5mm to 1.6mm

I just don't understand how they look so nicely cut for stones that small! LOL Which is why I didn't think they were that small to begin with.
Oh Goodness!
The latest equipment can cut tiny diamonds with ming-boggling precision.

Size is overrated.
Tiny can be satisfying too. :love: :lickout:
I'm talking about diamonds. :Up_to_something:

Whiteflash offers 0.01 ct that is melee with cut so well it even earns their top-cut brand ACA.

http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/a-cut-above-hearts-and-arrows-diamond-melee-938.htm

SNIP:

A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Diamond Melee
By Bryan Boyne G.G. (GIA), Monday, June 20, 2011 3:41 PM

A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Diamond Melee are fully faceted small round diamonds of superb quality, graded in a similar fashion to our A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Super Ideals. They are meticulously cut and polished, and selected by Whiteflash for use in our finest jewelry pieces. In addition to being ideally cut with hearts and arrows patterning, A CUT ABOVE® Melee are clean and white (F-G color, VS clarity), and non-fluorescent.

With sizes from under .01ct up to .25ct (1mm to 4mm) A CUT ABOVE® Melee are too small for lab certification and the expense that would have to be added, but the attributes evaluated are essentially the same. They are cut to exacting standards by extremely skilled cutters specializing in producing the finest diamonds on the market, and are further graded and selected by the Whiteflash team to meet our demanding specifications.

Engagement rings, wedding bands and fine jewelry made with diamonds of this caliber are on a par with masterpieces produced by the very finest jewelers in the world. Each diamond, no matter how tiny, reflects and refracts the maximum amount of light possible by virtue of full compliment of 57 perfectly aligned facets. When combined together in any of the various configurations available such as pavé, bead set, prong, or channel setting, they catch the eye in a mesmerizing display of sparkle.

We often hear it said that quality does not matter as much in small stones. At Whiteflash we believe just the opposite! Indeed, because the stone is small, quality is critical. A small inclusion in a tiny stone that blocks light, and improper proportioning or facet alignment that causes light leakage, will result in a “dead” stone. With A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Diamond Melee you are guaranteed that your jewelry will be full of life and that it will keep on sparkling year after year.

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
Hey Kenny! :wavey: I thought I'd post this photo to go along with that article. A little while back I was inquiring about having a custom etoile band made with smaller diamonds and the person I talked at Whiteflash to sent me this photo.

I wish I could buy melee from Whiteflash, but I read a thread awhile back that said they don't sell loose melee anymore? :blackeye:

Arrows ACA melee.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Xirah.
Small diamonds can be well cut, have superb bling, PLUS good color gives them even more umph!!
I have a little 8-point that kicks butt! :wink2:

IMHO small FCDs can totally be worth the price.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really pretty and I can imagine them set together. Just be prepared to swallow the labour cost for setting them, which will cost more then the $400 for the parcel of FCDs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results