shape
carat
color
clarity

Crafty PScopers? Knitting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Skippy! The "V" pattern on the body of the sweater was originally supposed to be beading, but I couldn''t find the right beads and thought it would be too heavy, so I just used purl stitches in place of the beads and I like it much better this way. I''m not allowed to work on it for three weeks, though, because I have finals coming up. But if I work hard, I might finish it over winter break!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to knit but spend most of my spare time on PS instead of knitting. I used to knit all the time. I started knitting when I was about 8 and knit sweaters, hats, scarfs, afghans, slippers, etc. Recently I''ve only been making hats, scarfs and mittens. I planned on making all the ladies in my family scarfs for Christmas but so far I''ve only completed 3. I want to knit myself a vest soon.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 10:04:50 PM
Author: marcyc
I love to knit but spend most of my spare time on PS instead of knitting. I used to knit all the time. I started knitting when I was about 8 and knit sweaters, hats, scarfs, afghans, slippers, etc. Recently I''ve only been making hats, scarfs and mittens. I planned on making all the ladies in my family scarfs for Christmas but so far I''ve only completed 3. I want to knit myself a vest soon.

I know what you mean! It''s hard to find time for everything, and somehow knitting always gets the short straw for me. Funny enough, I used to belong to a knitting forum when I was knitting more than I do now, and the members were always complaining that they spent more time typing about what they planned to knit than actually working with needles and yarn! But now, for me, I find that PS is too seductive for my own good...

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
I've been a beginner knitter for about 20 years now. Every five years or so, I pick up my knitting stuff and make a thing or two, then forget about it. But there's a bumper crop of babies among people I know at the moment! So I decided to knit some baby hats. The one I'm making now is for my secretary's soon-to-be baby boy. He is due in March and his name will be Christopher. I'm using a deep rusty orange coloured merino wool and size 5 needles.

I'll post a pic when I'm done (probably in a week or so), but here is the picture from the pattern. I just love the little curlycue tail on top!

babyhattail.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh Indy! That will be adorable; I can''t wait for you post pics when you are done!!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
OK! I finished not-yet-born Baby Christopher's hat. I had kind of a knit-athon this weekend... too brain dead to do much of anything else.

FI thought it was funny that today I made two things: a pumpkin pie (mmmm...turned out great!), and a pumpkin hat.

Here is the hat modeled by Farley the plush Frog.

ETA: I see there's a bit of a thread at the end that needs to be snipped. Oops!

pumpkinhat.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Indy so cute and oh so toasty for the baby, how sweet!!!
9.gif

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
That''s such a cute hat! I just did a hat and mittens for a friend''s baby, but gave them to her before I remembered to take pictures. She''s promised to send a picture of the baby wearing them, though, so once I get those I''ll have to post.

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Oops, double post!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2007 11:24:50 PM
Author: Octavia
Date: 11/23/2007 10:04:50 PM

Author: marcyc

I love to knit but spend most of my spare time on PS instead of knitting. I used to knit all the time. I started knitting when I was about 8 and knit sweaters, hats, scarfs, afghans, slippers, etc. Recently I've only been making hats, scarfs and mittens. I planned on making all the ladies in my family scarfs for Christmas but so far I've only completed 3. I want to knit myself a vest soon.

I know what you mean! It's hard to find time for everything, and somehow knitting always gets the short straw for me. Funny enough, I used to belong to a knitting forum when I was knitting more than I do now, and the members were always complaining that they spent more time typing about what they planned to knit than actually working with needles and yarn! But now, for me, I find that PS is too seductive for my own good...

Oh I can so identify with this!!!

Octavia I love your sweater. What a clever idea to change the beads out for purls. Clever clever clever!!!
36.gif

Indy that hat is adorable!
30.gif

Skippy, your window looks just great!!! By the way, I can't bring myself to call it a 'window treatment', that sounds like your window has some kind of disease! We call those kind of drapes a 'pelmet'!

So I'm working on...
*a Juliet cardigan (there's a gorgeous photo on this girl's blog, this is what I'm aiming for!
*a 'so-called scarf'
*an Odessa hat for myself - chocolate brown, with coppery-gold coloured beads!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Delster, that Juliet sweater is gorgeous! What color are you using for yours? I can''t wait to see pics!

Indy''s hats are adorable, too...I love seeing everyone else''s craftiness, it gives me such an incentive to work on my own projects. And lots of ideas for new projects, too!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Mine's in the same colour, pale blue. I'm very happy with it so far, if a bit tired of the endless garter stitch. I'm making it longer than in the pattern - ah the luxury of making your own clothes (shop bought things are never long enough to meet my trousers and I'm continually flashing my midriff at people without wanting to)! Anyway at this stage I'm longing to start the yoke with all those interesting textures!

A friend tipped me off to the best tip ever for straight edges in stocking stitch and I used it on the garter stitch section and it has turned out AMAZING. It looks like the edges are woven! I'm so happy with it! I was nervous about how those edges would turn out as it's knit in one piece and there's no edging. I'll have to take close-ups, it's just coming out so gorgeous...

ETA: That tip is to slip the first stitch on each row, and knit into the back of the last stitch on each row. Easy peasy, and it makes beee-yoo-tee-full edges!

mirre

Shiny_Rock
Wow! That''s amazing! You put me to shame
7.gif

I have been trying to crochet a scarf (I LOVE scarfs) for this winter. Surprise... Winter is here and it''s still not done.
39.gif
My mom taught me to crochet several years back... I made one thing and stopped for whatever reason. And I just recently decided that I wanted to try to re-teach myself. It''s coming along ok for it to just be a scarf but if I want to make more things I may need to take up a class or something lol.

I made my halloween costume (sewing it) because all the one''s I liked were too expensive to wear just once and plus they all showed a little too much of the backside that I wasn''t comfy.

Actually I''m quite glad to see that so many of you knit because at one point, not too long ago, I was thinking to myself that it seemed like the craft may not be around much longer. Thanks for giving me hopes ladies!
9.gif

For Christmas I decided that I''m going to MAKE all of my gifts. So far I have ONE done. I made a reversable apron (cutest little thing ever lol) for a good friend of mine. Now I have to paint my grandma''s jewelry box (I made my mom one for her birthday and she said my grandma could use one... this woman is like the QUEEN of rings I tell you!), and my mom wants an apron, a lady at work wants to buy one from me and maybe one for her sister, I wanted to make me one (guess mine will have to wait lol), and another good friend of mine wants me to make her little girl one (so I have to try to make a miniature one) for Christmas since "Santa Claus" is bringing her a kitchen.
14.gif

I LOVE doing these sorts of things... gives me something to do... but when you have so many things you need to get done and try to get your school stuff done, and work, and this Christmas party and that Christmas party, this club meeting and that one, baking for Christmas parties, Bridesmaid dress alterations (which I should really do), Bachelorette party, rehersal dinners, wedding hair, etc....

Whew! Sorry ladies I really didn''t mean to go off on a tangent... just had to get it all out... sorry it so such a long post!
26.gif

I think I may have bit off a bit more than I can chew!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, you are all amazingly talented with needles! This thread continues to impress me and inspire me!

So, in an attempt to remain somewhat budget-conscious this holiday season, I''ve decided to knit scarves for my co-workers. I have visions in my mind of the perfect colors for each gal (forget the guys, they never seem to be cold enough to wear scarves anyway, lol), and I know I can complete this task but I''m posting here just to make sure I actually folllow through...since I know you will all want to see the finished products!

I have 4 gals to make scarves for, they range in age from 21 to 58. They''ve all commented on a couple of my own scarves (ok, one is a Kenneth Cole velvet patchwork number with fringe so it doesn''t count, but a couple others are ones I''ve knitted of either washable acrylic multicolored blues/lavenders or metallic-y golds/pinks/purples.) So I''m quite sure they would each appreciate a handmade scarf-y gift!

Ok...I''ve committed myself now, and now that I''ve hit the submit button there''s no turning back!
35.gif
9.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picked up the needles again recently after a 10+-year hiaitus.... and I''m deep in the obsession once again! Got some light-as-a-feather fuzzy lace yarn and decided that I wasn''t too crazy about lace knitting, but that the soft, lightweight yarn made for incredible fingerless gloves/hand warmers. Small, manageable projects that can be finished in a few wvenings. Just in time to be inspired for Christmas! So now I''m on a handwarmer jag. I''ve finished three pair of fuzzy gloves (two for friends) and another pair in an absolutely luscious hand painted merino sock yarn. I just cast on for a pair in a heather alpaca.... and there are three other yarns in waiting.

Do keep posting those inspirations!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
mirre and monarch you've publicised your crafty ambitions now, so you know we're gonna want pictures of the beautiful finished projects!
2.gif
9.gif
I for one would absolutely love to see pictures of these aprons and scarves
30.gif

minims the gloves sound fabulicious! Fuzzy lace gloves, sooo decadent! I've knit some 'Fetching' handwarmers and some of the 'Irish Hiking Scarf' ones - they're so handy for cold mornings when you still need to be able to fumble for change for the bus!

So, for my part, here's the edging that I'm so proud of on that Juliet sweater!

juliet_edging_resized.jpg

Delster

Ideal_Rock
And I couldn''t resist this - my Mam''s doggy checking out progress on the Juliet!
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, beautiful Delster! Your mom''s dog is sooo cute!
face23.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Delster: I'll check back with you next time I'm working something in garter stitch... I'd love to have my edges look that nice!

I've completed two and one-half pairs of handwarmers since Thanksgiving. One pair is made in a sportweight baby alpaca that I knit on size 4 needles. The other 1 1/2 pair are in a beautiful hand-painted merino fingering weight sock yarn that knit up on size 3 needles. I'll be knitting one more pair out of this yarn -- and the other half of the pair I've already started, of course!

I bought the handpainted merino yarns when I was visiting family for Thanksgiving. I which my local yarn store carried this, but unfortunatelyit doesn't. I picked up the remaining yarn at my local yarn store today, including a sock yarn in a beautiful blend of cream, buttercream, and light lavender that I know one of my friends will just love. Turns out its not quite as heavy as the yarns I've been working with so I knit up a sample to figure out how many stitches I'll need...

I'm going to have to make this pair on size 1 needles!
23.gif
What's more, I have to finish them by Friday, since my friend is leaving for an extended holiday after that.
39.gif
I do have a business trip this week that will involve several in a car. I hope my co-worker won't mind driving!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Delster, that sweater is going to be amazing! I can see how you''re tired of garter stitch, though. You''re so smart to knit it in one piece, seaming is the worst part of the project...was the pattern written that way, or did you have to modify it? I''ve always meant to try a sweater this way but as of yet, I haven''t done it, so I''m curious.

MINIMS, that cream-and-lavender yarn sounds sooo yummy, please post pics when you''re done -- and good luck with the size 1s
14.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
minims - how small are size 1 needles? 2.25mm right? I''m knitting a pair of socks right now on 2.5mm so I feel your pain! I think all my handwarmers were on 4mm needles...

octavia the pattern is written all in the round. It goes something like "cast on a bazillion stitches. knit in st-st forever. when you notice that a season has passed, you are permitted to commence the panelled section."
2.gif
I haven''t ever done it but I''d happily convert patterns into in-the-round instructions - I hate knitting in sections and then having to sew it all up! A few people have said to me that you just carefully write it all out, and add in a couple of stitches for to allow for the seams (some people even knit in a faux seam!) and off you go...

OK a couple more pics... the above-mentioned sock:

sock_resized.JPG

Delster

Ideal_Rock
...and the curious doggy strikes again!
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Adorable socks!!! Great Job
35.gif

CrownJewel

Brilliant_Rock
You PSers are so talented! I got a sewing machine for my last birthday from FI''s parents! I looooooooove making things, even though I am only a beginner sewer. So far, I''ve...um, hemmed one pair of pants. Lots of projects in my head though!

I wish I could knit. I tried once, and I was not very good at counting stitches and I also could not keep my stitches even. Anthropologie holds knitting sessions in NYC, and I keep signing up as a beginner, but they always fill up so fast. I love their knitted clothes and accessories.

Indy, love those hats!

Delster, that Odessa hat is so cool!

Skip, I remember seeing the window treatments in the WWT thread. It''s awesome! How are you liking your sewing class? I thought about taking one. I learned from my grandmother when I was 5, but there''s so much that I don''t know.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I just joined my mother''s quilting group...I am sooo intimidated as all the ladies are SO good and I have zero experience. I am very excited to have a new hobby!
36.gif

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2007 9:40:09 PM
Author: iwannaprettyone
I just joined my mother''s quilting group...I am sooo intimidated as all the ladies are SO good and I have zero experience. I am very excited to have a new hobby!
36.gif

iwanna, don''t be intimidated! If they''re anything like typical needlecrafters, they''ll be absolutely thrilled to have "new blood" to pass their knowledge along to. I really wish I had a knitting mentor -- everything I know, I''ve taught myself from books and from a knitting forum. All of the people on the forum were soo helpful, I can only imagine what it would be like to have them around IRL! I''m sure you''re going to have a great time, and make sure to post pics when you get a project going
9.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All of your projects sound and look great.

I did finish a scarf last night and started another one. I doubt I''ll get the new one done by Christmas.

When we were first married we were very poor so I crocheted everyone in both of our families slippers that look like tennis shoes. It took me most of the year to do it; but it was fun. I wish I had more time to devote to knitting now but then I''d miss out on seeing all the cool bling and pretty pictures on PS.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2007 9:56:15 PM
Author: Octavia

Date: 12/9/2007 9:40:09 PM
Author: iwannaprettyone
36.gif

iwanna, don''t be intimidated! If they''re anything like typical needlecrafters, they''ll be absolutely thrilled to have ''new blood'' to pass their knowledge along to. I really wish I had a knitting mentor -- everything I know, I''ve taught myself from books and from a knitting forum. All of the people on the forum were soo helpful, I can only imagine what it would be like to have them around IRL! I''m sure you''re going to have a great time, and make sure to post pics when you get a project going
9.gif
Ok, so I am officially sucked in...haha

I won a beautiful Batik Quilt Kit as a door prize at the local quilt store fundraiser, no turning back now lol. I will take a photo of the kit when I get my camera charged up. I hope I can do it justice
40.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Iwanna, I can''t wait to see what you make!!! Now I want to learn seeing all these beautiful items
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results