shape
carat
color
clarity

Crafty PScopers? Knitting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
I just finished my clapotis last night and I''m so chuffed! It''s soooooo soft and yummy!

Does anyone else knit? Care to share your projects? Come on, I promise to drool!!!
9.gif

CLAPOTIS_COLLAGE.JPG

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow Delster, you are so talented!
36.gif
That is gorgeous; I want one!!!! I took up sewing just now. I started my sewing class about 3 weeks ago and we are making cute denim totes. I wish I was as talented as you; thanks for sharing. After I am done w/my tote I will take a pic for ya!

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I tried knitting, but it didn''t work out...

I''m a cross stitcher though, I kinda like having a pattern to follow.

Your work is beautiful though!

elsie

Shiny_Rock
Yay! Another knitter!

Your project is beautiful and looks so soft and comfortable. What exactly is a clapotis, by the way?

One of my past projects is my avatar (supposed to be a chicken).

I''m currently knitting a belted-type cardigan for my MIL -- my first "real" clothing project that someone will wear and so I can''t use cheap yarn or mess up on the finishing!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that's gorgeous.

I used to knit a lot, but mainly baby clothes as they're quite quick.

I like doing the lace work - I have half a shetland lace shawl done in a bag, the ones that you can pull through a wedding ring, in single ply white wool. i must finish it one day!

I made a jumper for an ex once in a celtic fair-isle design based on irish stone carvings in shades of blue, v=cream and gray (he was irish). His mother sent it back to me when he died and it's in a box somewhere. It took 18 months to make!

The last one I did was a fisherman's guernsey in a blue/green/grey slate colour in the proper guernsey yarn. You knit it on circular needles so there are no seams anywhere - it's all made in one piece. The tops of the front, back and sleeves have scottish fleet patterns - trees of life, hearts, anchors, herring bone etc all done in just plain and pearl stitches. I designed a special pattern for FI and drew it out on the computer and it worked pretty well. I even knitted FI's initials into the bottom of the sleeve.

I was so angry the other night as he got it out of the drawer and the moths had chewed 5 holes in it. I only gave it to him as a christmas present 2 years ago and I told him to keep it wrapped in plastic. Grrr.

Even worse, it's fixable, but he wanted to chuck it out. I was really, really hurt as it took me 4 months of very hard work - he still isn't forgiven!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
It is beautiful! I''ve tried knitting way back but failed miserably at the attempt. I find making beaded jewelry a lot easier and had been quite into it before my little boy arrived less than two years ago!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
I''m a huge knitter! In fact I just got home from the yarn store.
9.gif
I think I would go crazy if I didn''t get to knit - it''s definately a passion of mine.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very pretty!

I tried knitting, but the book I bought at Michael''s didn''t make any sense to me, so no matter what how hard I tried, I couldn''t create anything. I had planned to make a scarf, but ended up buying one instead! lol

prbaglady

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I''m a new knitter. I just finished my first scarf and i''m completely hooked! I''ll post a pic of it later tonight. It''s just basic knit all the way through, but i love the colors and it''s super soft. Now i just have to think of a good second project, something that''s a little bit more challenging but that wont be too overwhelming! maybe a poncho? or another scarf with an interesting pattern. Any patterns or ideas you could share?

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow Skippy that sounds gorgeous! I can't sew at all, shame on me
15.gif

Will you post us a picture of your pretty denim tote when it's all done? Pretty please?!
9.gif

Mustangal my BF's sister did cross-stitch as a child, it's so beautiful. FMIL has framed some of her work and has it hanging up in the house, it's amazing. We'd love to see some of yours!!!
1.gif
2.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
elsie a clapotis is perhaps your next project?!?
2.gif
It's kind of like this phenomenon that's swept the knitting world. Every knitter I know has either done one or wants to do one! Anyway the pattern is here and the designer describes it much better than I would! It's kind of a scarf/wrap thing. There's also a knitalong here . Are you on Ravelry? Sooooo many beautiful clapotis to admire on there...
3.gif

Do you have a link to the pattern you're using for the cardigan? It'd be lovely to see what you're working on...
1.gif

I like the chicken!!!
9.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Pandora I''d be mad too!!! Oh my goodness!!! Those sweaters sound AMAZING. I am a complete sucker for cables and textures in knitting. I once did a baby blanket with horseshoe cables and different textured panels the whole length of it - I think it''s my favourite thing I ever knit! Please please please do you have pictures of your work? [:D]

You are streets ahead of me with the lace knitting, I haven''t taken the plunge as yet. The only lace thing I''ve done is a little jumper with a lace panel running down the front. I''m planning on trying the Green Gable pattern this Winter, which has a lace panel running from shoulder to shoulder - hopefully that won''t be a disaster!
3.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Simplysplendid tell us more about your jewellery - what kind of things do you make? It sounds lovely!

LadyAmythyst69 now you know the rules - you can''t say you were at the yarn store and then not say what you bought!!!
2.gif
Especially to someone who lives in Ireland, a place that only has about three good yarn stores in the whole COUNTRY!!! Knitting hasn''t really taken off here like it has in the States unfortunately. It''s mostly still older ladies knitting with scratchy acrylic, thinking that good quality yarn is a sinful extravagance...
20.gif

MC do you wanna try again? Come on, I''ll hold your hand!
1.gif
Better still, I''ll send you a link to a site where there are VIDEOS of how to knit - much better than a book!
2.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2007 3:35:57 PM
Author: prbaglady
I''m a new knitter. I just finished my first scarf and i''m completely hooked! I''ll post a pic of it later tonight. It''s just basic knit all the way through, but i love the colors and it''s super soft. Now i just have to think of a good second project, something that''s a little bit more challenging but that wont be too overwhelming! maybe a poncho? or another scarf with an interesting pattern. Any patterns or ideas you could share?

Woohoo I can''t wait to see it!!!
36.gif

Have you seen the Last Minute Knitted Gifts book? There are lots of super easy projects in there that you can whip up quickly and they look impressive. There''s a ribbed scarf that''s knit with three different yarns, it''s super quick and very funky. There''s a picture here - it''s the orange scarf at the bottom of the page. I''ve made it so many times as a gift and I always get lots of compliments. One friend I gave it to told me she was constantly getting stopped by strangers asking where she got her scarf! Anyway I''ve attached a pic of a mad fuzzy funky pink version so you get an idea of it (sorry about the poor quality of the pic, it''s a cameraphone job!)
1.gif

A scarf I have my eye on for this year''s Christmas gifts is this one. There''s another picture here that really shows it off well. It''s a little more difficult but I''m sure you can handle it!!! There''s a demonstration of the pattern up on YouTube and of course there''s always knittinghelp.com as well
9.gif

I''ve never knit a poncho but I''ll have a scooch around, see if I see anything nice for you... you could do a blanket? Buy some homepsun yummy knobbledy yarn and just plain every row. Comes out beautiful and soooo easy - here''s a gorgeous example!

For inspiration I use knitty and magknits a LOT. And ravelry. And a friend runs a yarn shop so of course she''s always full of beautiful suggestions!!!
9.gif

purlscarfresized.JPG

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Here's the same purl scarf, done with different yarns so you get a different texture
9.gif

ETA: Would any of these ponchos tempt you?
1.gif

purlscarfblack.JPG

lizardofaz

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/12/2007 8:22:39 AM
Author: Delster

Date: 10/11/2007 3:35:57 PM
Author: prbaglady

Woohoo I can''t wait to see it!!!
36.gif

Have you seen the Last Minute Knitted Gifts book? There are lots of super easy projects in there that you can whip up quickly and they look impressive. There''s a ribbed scarf that''s knit with three different yarns, it''s super quick and very funky. There''s a picture here - it''s the orange scarf at the bottom of the page. I''ve made it so many times as a gift and I always get lots of compliments. One friend I gave it to told me she was constantly getting stopped by strangers asking where she got her scarf! Anyway I''ve attached a pic of a mad fuzzy funky pink version so you get an idea of it (sorry about the poor quality of the pic, it''s a cameraphone job!)
1.gif

A scarf I have my eye on for this year''s Christmas gifts is this one. There''s another picture here that really shows it off well. It''s a little more difficult but I''m sure you can handle it!!! There''s a demonstration of the pattern up on YouTube and of course there''s always knittinghelp.com as well
9.gif

I''ve never knit a poncho but I''ll have a scooch around, see if I see anything nice for you... you could do a blanket? Buy some homepsun yummy knobbledy yarn and just plain every row. Comes out beautiful and soooo easy - here''s a gorgeous example!

For inspiration I use knitty and magknits a LOT. And ravelry. And a friend runs a yarn shop so of course she''s always full of beautiful suggestions!!!
9.gif

Hi Delster! Thanks for some great patterns! I especially love that manos scarf pattern. I have way too much manos yarn in my stash and now I''ve got a way to use some of it up and knock out a few christmas presents at the same time. Do you by chance know if that''s the linen stitch used in the pattern? Whatever it''s called, it''s gorgeous! Thanks for the inspiration.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
another knitter here, but I don''t have much time for it now. here''s a sweater I knit for my step daughter, It''s still not quite done and she''s outgrown
40.gif
but i''m going to make myself finish so my 5 year old can wear it
9.gif

sopsweater1.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The lace stuff isn''t difficult, but you need to concentrate. One mistake and you have to rip out ten rows or so.
15.gif

I use a row counter and quite often write the pattern out stitch by stich as it can be easier not to get lost.

I will try and take some pics of my work.

I buy the old 1930''s baby patterns by Patons (The ones with silver covers). They are so beautiful. The hardest thing is finding single ply white wool, it''s all acrylic now, which doesn''t feel the same. I only use acrylic for friends who don''t handwash baby clothes at all.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2007 1:52:37 PM
Author: MustangGal
I tried knitting, but it didn''t work out...

I''m a cross stitcher though, I kinda like having a pattern to follow.

Your work is beautiful though!
I''m a stitcher too! I have two projects done and two in progress. One of them I hope to have ready for the wedding, I want to frame it and display it at the reception as a sort of bridal portrait; the other is another Christmas stocking. My finished works are at my parents'' (my mom and I are working on making Christmas stockings for the 5 family members plus my brother''s common law spouse and my FI), but I can take pics of the ones in progress...

I would love to knit and sew, but have yet to learn. My mom sews, and she used to make absolutely amazing Halloween costumes for me and my brother and sister. My grandmother has to be the most amazing knitter in the world. She made my a gorgeous vest and an awesome afghan, she also makes me socks and mittens on occasion.

I love your work, Delster!

LadyAmythyst69

Brilliant_Rock
I''m on Ravelry too - you can look me up under NocturnalKnitter.

What I bought - hmmm - some Claudia Handpainted (like Koigu) for some man-scarves as X-mas presents. And then a bunch of a yarn called Jasper - I''m going to make the Russian Coat from the latest issue of Vouge Knitting. But if you go on Ravelry you can see a bunch of my latest work & it will lead you to my knitting blog as well. Told you I was a mad knitter!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love to knit and would like to become more skilled. So far (in the last 8 years since I learned basic knitting), I can make scarves and throws, but haven''t done anything that involves a pattern. I like working with Lion Homespun yarn, it''s machine-washable and has a very soft hand, plus it''s inexpensive enough for a "beginner"! Recently I started a new job and there is a yarn store upstairs from my place of employment...she has the most beautiful yarns and a fantastic selection. I purchased a set of those airline-friendly needles, I think the brand is Denise, so I can bring knitting along when I fly.

Delster

Ideal_Rock
lizardofaz (I love your screen name BTW!) from what I remember of that pattern it''s actually just a simple rib all the way up, and then tassels on each end. Cast on as many stitches as you want it wide and rib!!! The secret to the texture is in using huuuge needles (like 12mm I think?!? but I''m a tiiiiight knitter) and three different yarns - a double knitting; an angora blend; and something outrageous (crazy fur / ribboned yarn / glitter!).
Will you post a piccy if you knit it?
27.gif

The ''so-called scarf'' might also be lovely if it''s variegated yarn you have - it''d show up all those colours really yummily
1.gif
I''ve never seen any of the Manos yarns, nowhere in Ireland stocks them, so I''m rather jealous!
30.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Ow wow mrssalvo that is beautiful! Your colourwork is gorgeous! And those adorable moss stitch cuffs - I looove moss stitch, that texture, hmmmmm...
30.gif

Thank you so much for showing us! Do you have any other beauties to share?
27.gif
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2007 7:44:59 AM
Oh wow Skippy that sounds gorgeous! I can''t sew at all, shame on me
15.gif

Will you post us a picture of your pretty denim tote when it''s all done? Pretty please?!
9.gif

Mustangal my BF''s sister did cross-stitch as a child, it''s so beautiful. FMIL has framed some of her work and has it hanging up in the house, it''s amazing. We''d love to see some of yours!!!
1.gif
2.gif
Of course! I would love to post a pic; it will be done in a week so I will come back then. hehee Thxs.

Wow, you are quite the knitter! My grandma use to knit and same w/my aunts. I tried and I couldn''t get it. I love everything you made!

Mrs. Salvo, that is one beautiful sweater! Whoo hooo!
You knitters are so talented
9.gif
36.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2007 1:32:18 PM
Author: Pandora II
The lace stuff isn''t difficult, but you need to concentrate. One mistake and you have to rip out ten rows or so.
15.gif

I use a row counter and quite often write the pattern out stitch by stich as it can be easier not to get lost.

I will try and take some pics of my work.

I buy the old 1930''s baby patterns by Patons (The ones with silver covers). They are so beautiful. The hardest thing is finding single ply white wool, it''s all acrylic now, which doesn''t feel the same. I only use acrylic for friends who don''t handwash baby clothes at all.

The highlighted part showcases my experiences with lace!!! But I''m determined to keep trying - as it''s so well worth it in the end.

If you like those old Patons patterns you would just love my mother - she has kept every pattern she ever bought, and many of my Nana''s patterns. There are folders and folders and folders just bursting at the seams... that said, some of the creations are horrors which should never see the light of day! The 70s were not a decade of great taste in Ireland...

I won''t knit in acrylic either, I hate the feel of it and I think it defeats the purpose of a handknit item. So much of my love and time goes into knitting something, I refuse to use nasty yarn!!! For baby clothes I use a machine washable cashmere/merino blend. The baby yarn I use is just labelled ''baby yarn'' but it comes in DK and Aran weights too so I wonder is it single ply? I use 3.25mm needles with it. Can you educate me on single ply yarn and maybe I can help you find a London stockist? I can run it by my friend who has the yarn store - a lot of her suppliers are UK based so I''m sure she can help.

Really looking forward to seeing pics of your work! Thank you!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
anchor yes please! Your work sounds beautiful!!! I looove seeing what other people are creating and cross stitch is something I just can''t master but really admire...

Your mother and grandmother sound like very talented women, you''re very lucky to have them to make you lovely gifts! My mother knit all my school jumper and cardies and sewed all my dresses when I was little, I didn''t appreciate it at the time but I do know. I had a great Aunt too who could look at you and knit you an Aran sweater from memory without taking a single measurement - she could do a man''s sweater a DAY!!!
23.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
LadyAmythyst I've already been on your Ravelry site!!! I was drooling over your work two nights ago!!! How funny is that?!? OK, I'm off to link you now...
9.gif
I'm itching to see this Russian coat!

ETA: Oh wow, once again, I'm drooling over all your work! Your work is just beautiful - nearly as beautiful as your lovely self. Is your hunky model your DH? Lucky LadyAmythyst!
2.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
That yarn store upstairs will be the ruination of you Monarch, I promise!
2.gif

Wanna join in the fun and share one of your scarves or throws with us? I''ve never knit anything so big as a throw, largest I''ve done is a baby blanket. But I''d love to knit that one up as a full size throw, it was so beautiful!
1.gif

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2007 11:51:58 AM
Author: Skippy123
Date: 10/12/2007 7:44:59 AM

Oh wow Skippy that sounds gorgeous! I can''t sew at all, shame on me
15.gif

Will you post us a picture of your pretty denim tote when it''s all done? Pretty please?!
9.gif

Mustangal my BF''s sister did cross-stitch as a child, it''s so beautiful. FMIL has framed some of her work and has it hanging up in the house, it''s amazing. We''d love to see some of yours!!!
1.gif
2.gif

Of course! I would love to post a pic; it will be done in a week so I will come back then. hehee Thxs.

Wow, you are quite the knitter! My grandma use to knit and same w/my aunts. I tried and I couldn''t get it. I love everything you made!

Mrs. Salvo, that is one beautiful sweater! Whoo hooo!

You knitters are so talented
9.gif
36.gif

Yippee Skippy!!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

P.S. Knitting Help is a great resource if the urge ever bites you again to attempt knitting once more. They have videos you can knit along with and before you know it you''re flying! I actually don''t remember learning to knit - it''s taught in the schools here in Ireland. I wonder does that sound odd or quaint to you guys?
4.gif

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2007 12:00:26 PM
anchor yes please! Your work sounds beautiful!!! I looove seeing what other people are creating and cross stitch is something I just can''t master but really admire...

Your mother and grandmother sound like very talented women, you''re very lucky to have them to make you lovely gifts! My mother knit all my school jumper and cardies and sewed all my dresses when I was little, I didn''t appreciate it at the time but I do know. I had a great Aunt too who could look at you and knit you an Aran sweater from memory without taking a single measurement - she could do a man''s sweater a DAY!!!
23.gif
You''re sweet, I''ll post pics asap! And yes, I was/am very lucky. I''ll post pics of my afghan too.

A sweater a day?! Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results