shape
carat
color
clarity

Cracking the Code of Brilliant Earth's Diamond Finder: Unveiling the Logic Behind 'Best Balance,' 'Most Sparkle,' and 'Premium Quality

Prashant Telang

Rough_Rock
Hello

Can someone help me understand the logic behind the options in Brilliant Earth's Diamond Finder? On their diamond search page, they offer a "Try Our Diamond Finder" feature which presents three options: "Best Balance," "Most Sparkle," and "Premium Quality." I'm curious to know the factors that determine these options. Is there a rule book or standard guidelines that dictate which properties are considered for each selection?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello

Can someone help me understand the logic behind the options in Brilliant Earth's Diamond Finder? On their diamond search page, they offer a "Try Our Diamond Finder" feature which presents three options: "Best Balance," "Most Sparkle," and "Premium Quality." I'm curious to know the factors that determine these options. Is there a rule book or standard guidelines that dictate which properties are considered for each selection?

Doesn't seem to be any real logic behind it, because I just filtered for "truly brilliant" with 62% or larger table and this leaky mess was in the results (first one listed):

Screenshot_20230731-091526-047.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no logic. BE is pretty yucky as a company and their prices are insanely high. I would always go elsewhere.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This comment is not directed at any specific seller, but rather general information.
Cut grading on most websites is a selling tool...nothing more.
For example-it is amazing how many sites offer "Ideal Cut" fancy shapes.
The term "Ideal Cut" refers to a rpound diamond.
"Ideal Marquise" is not a thing gemologically, but hey....maybe people will fall for it.
They do
A lot.
I get calls and or emails from folks asking for "Ideal Cut: Marquise ( or any other fancy shape) after getting "educated" by one of the offending sites.

Thank goodness for Pricescope!!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
This comment is not directed at any specific seller, but rather general information.
"Ideal Marquise" is not a thing gemologically, but hey....maybe people will fall for it.
They do
A lot.
I get calls and or emails from folks asking for "Ideal Cut: Marquise ( or any other fancy shape) after getting "educated" by one of the offending sites.

All the sites calling everything super-ideal makes me go ggggrrrrrrrr.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
They do
A lot.

GIA *could* offer Ideal Cut grades for fancy shapes now that they own AGSL, but they've seemingly refused to change their old archaic ways of giving leeway to cutters wanting to retain carat weight instead of cutting for beauty.

IGI is in their infancy of offering cut grades for some fancy shapes.*

GCAL is now applying their 8X to select fancy shapes.*

*really wish AGS would have made their Triple Zero cut grades and ASET Scopes open source for the entire industry to use as a last breath instead of selling to GIA who have seemed to hide it away like a troll taking a day's worth of bridge tolls to their cave...this would likely have resulted in an instant transformation to the cut grades of every lab by allowing all labs to hold diamonds to a much higher standard with stricter criteria.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA *could* offer Ideal Cut grades for fancy shapes now that they own AGSL, but they've seemingly refused to change their old archaic ways of giving leeway to cutters wanting to retain carat weight instead of cutting for beauty.

A super interesting debate for sure.
IMO- fancy-shaped diamonds offer far too much variability to be reliably categorized for cut quality.
I was involved in a GIA program to try to categorize fancy shapes...must have been 15 years ago...nothing's come of it and likely won't ever.....
And while I agree that many cutters prioritize yield over beauty, some of the most amazing fancy shaped diamonds I've ever seen were cut for beauty as the primary goal. You can't ever erase financial considerations completely- but some cutters do cut for "profitable beauty"

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results