shape
carat
color
clarity

cracked stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

debibelt

Rough_Rock
I am looking at an antique wedding set from about 1933 with a .25 center diamond and 7 .10 diamonds. All are about G color SI clarity. These are set in 14K white gold...

My question is this, the main diamond and one of the smaller diamonds are cracked - I guess internally with a feathery appearance. How does this affect the value?

I love the rings and would love to purchase them. We agreed on $300 before I knew about the cracks... how much should I pay now?

debibelt

Rough_Rock
I have to decide by tomorrow...
Thanks for the help!

mbn

Shiny_Rock
Can you see the feather by looking closely at stone with naked eye? If you can, it may bother you later on. Visible feather to naked eye is not desireable.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The price sounds very fair for SI stones. A crack is a word used for a damaged stone. A feather or cleavage might be used with a diamond that has some sort of naturally occurring imperfection.

There are many times that something old is bought in less than perfect condition and then you replace and restore what is necessary. This is done with old cars, old houses and old furniture. Why not with jewelry if you love the look.

You will find few modern items that really capture the look and grace of 70 year old pieces.. We try to make good reproductions, but it is easier said than actually done.

debibelt

Rough_Rock
thanks so much...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results