shape
carat
color
clarity

Crack in sapphire

missyc

Rough_Rock
Hi Pricescope, I am after your expert opinions. I'm wanting to buy a silky sapphire off an Instagram vendor. The vendor has said there is a small crack at the bottom of the stone that I am interested in.

Now the vendor's English isn't great. I've tried asking if she thinks the crack is big enough to affect the durability of the stone, but she doesn't understand what I mean. She has sent me a video and photos of the crack.

Video

IMG-20221210-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20221210-WA0010.jpg

My question is: do you think I should avoid this stone because of the crack? I really like the colour and size of the stone. Price is around $350 per carat. It's going to be set in a simple solitaire and I plan on wearing it often but will take it off when doing heavy work.

It looks to be a natural inclusion to me, a fissure, as opposed to a crack caused by damage. I mean, it's a decent size, but I don't really think it's going to give you trouble once set. If you love it at that price point, then go for it. :)

missyc

Rough_Rock
It looks to be a natural inclusion to me, a fissure, as opposed to a crack caused by damage. I mean, it's a decent size, but I don't really think it's going to give you trouble once set. If you love it at that price point, then go for it. :)

Yes, the thought of it being a fissure did come across my mind. I don't know if silky sapphires are usually included or if they come clean as well. I haven't really bought sapphires before, so I'm not sure what the usual price point is! I do know that silky sapphires go for a bit cheaper than clean ones?

Yes, the thought of it being a fissure did come across my mind. I don't know if silky sapphires are usually included or if they come clean as well. I haven't really bought sapphires before, so I'm not sure what the usual price point is! I do know that silky sapphires go for a bit cheaper than clean ones?

You'll definitely find that sleepy sapphires come at a reduced cost, but they're really gaining a following these days, and I can understand why. They can be sort of magical. My gut tells me that they're probably more prone to eye visible inclusions, since it's inclusions themselves that cause the opalescent look. But there are collectors here with far more knowledge on this particular variety than I. Perhaps they will chime in. Good luck!

missyc

Rough_Rock
You'll definitely find that sleepy sapphires come at a reduced cost, but they're really gaining a following these days, and I can understand why. They can be sort of magical. My gut tells me that they're probably more prone to eye visible inclusions, since it's inclusions themselves that cause the opalescent look. But there are collectors here with far more knowledge on this particular variety than I. Perhaps they will chime in. Good luck!

Thank you! The vendor said the 'cracks' are only visible under direct light as shown in the video. She said I can't see them with the naked eye otherwise.

Hopefully some more people will chime in and give their opinions! :geek2:

Thank you! The vendor said the 'cracks' are only visible under direct light as shown in the video. She said I can't see them with the naked eye otherwise.

Hopefully some more people will chime in and give their opinions! :geek2:

Certainly a plus if it is not eye visible, because I really don't think it will cause a problem with regard to durability after setting.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased a red spinel that is eye clean from the top but obviously included from the bottom. Like yours, there was a huge inclusion spanning almost halfway across the stone. This inclusion does not break the surface of the spinel. I bought it at a huge discount ($300/ct thereabouts for 1 ct) due to the clarity. I set it in a ring and never looked back.

missyc

Rough_Rock
I purchased a red spinel that is eye clean from the top but obviously included from the bottom. Like yours, there was a huge inclusion spanning almost halfway across the stone. This inclusion does not break the surface of the spinel. I bought it at a huge discount ($300/ct thereabouts for 1 ct) due to the clarity. I set it in a ring and never looked back.

Thanks for sharing your experience! It seems like I am in a similar boat to you. I presume your spinel is perfectly fine? No durability issues?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No durability issues but it's also not an everyday wear ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results