shape
carat
color
clarity

Couplings with surprising endings?

rosethorn

Shiny_Rock
I never thought I’d marry. I was the child of a mother thrice divorced, my parents (her first marriage) fought viciously my entire childhood. I was repelled by the idea.

Met a rock solid, warm and wonderful man and even tried to scare him off with the “do you want kids, or what?” talk one month into dating. Only a year in to our marriage! so we shall see! So far so good - he’s the love of my life!

I’ve known multiple couples split over disagreements about wanting children, hence my interrogation early on in dating. It’s devastating when that’s the reason. One after 7 years, and it was too late for the woman to have kids afterwards.

Another couple, my husband and I are extremely close to. The women in the partnership was a high earner, career driven, he was not. The four of us regularly discussed having kids and raising them together for the 5 years they were married. Their plan was that he’d be a stay at home dad.

They were madly in love, had their issues for sure…but their split and shocked everyone. It was because he admitted he never wanted kids. We all felt deeply betrayed, obviously his partner most of all.

Turns out, he came out as a trans woman months later. It’s been a bumpy ride for them both since the split, but they had fundamental differences about the kind of life they wanted to lead. We’ve remained supportive of them both and I’m excited to be there for my new lady friend! :)

It sounds like you are a good friend to them both!

I don’t know what pronouns are correct, but just thought I’d mention that it’s my understanding that if your friend’s pronouns have changed it’s important to use the correct ones when talking about them, even in a place they won’t see and when you’re telling a story about a time when the pronouns were different.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like you are a good friend to them both!

I don’t know what pronouns are correct, but just thought I’d mention that it’s my understanding that if your friend’s pronouns have changed it’s important to use the correct ones when talking about them, even in a place they won’t see and when you’re telling a story about a time when the pronouns were different.

Yup! She actually said that for historical events before transitioning, to use male pronouns and her former name.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I still can't get over the people who have stayed married after I have learned how awful their relationships are.

I am having these thoughts about my parents' marriage. My dad gets his way yet again, because my mom's not the type of person to stand in his way for long. He's not, as far as I know, apologized to my mom for horrible things he did and said. But I'm not going to apologize just because my mom has apologized even though things should be the other way around imo.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I guess my parents' relationship is on the mend. There are certain topics that are unmentionable, but they've started showing each other affection.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results