shape
carat
color
clarity

Couple diamonds on hold... what do yall think?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that setting looks equivalent to the ones at BG and WF. It is very close to the real Tiffany setting. It will be much more delicate in real life. I looked at some of the stones set in it on the JA site, and there are plenty of large stones set in it. I think it is a great choice if she likes classic, traditional jewelry. I would buy that setting for myself as it is one of my favorites.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You won't be able to return the setting I think, once they set the diamond in it. But I think it's a solid plan. You can always get a different setting that she prefers later on.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sure, I'd shortlist it. Laila - it does have the AGS DQD w/ light performance analysis - just a different version, I think it's cheaper than the one w/ the printed ASET sim?

In any case - those numbers - crown, pav, etc. are averaged around eight sections of stone, without a full scan or some pics it's tough to try to guess what sort of range is going into it, but I don't see anything to knock it out of the running.

Ultimately IMO it's really kinda pointless to fret over a 0.2, 0.3deg imperfection unless you need a 'mind clean' stone, and have a specific "ideal" in mind. Example - a quick bit of searching unearthed this article on the Sarin webpage: http://www.sarin.com/news.asp?id=328 Long story short: earlier this year AGS decided to upgrade their older model scanners to this one. And looking at the models
-The older DiaMension scanner is accurate to 0.2degrees and 0.02mm, and
-The newer DiaMensionHD is accurate to 0.1degree and 0.01mm!
That report is from 2010, so given that AGS' *scanner* could only be relied on for measurement w/ 0.2deg precision... kinda puts quibbling over a 0.2, 0.3deg avg out-of-bound on the report into different perspective ::) and the lower halves are long, and so they're shallower than they'd be if they were shorter...

It must be a pretty pricey stone, I'd definitely recommend having it shipped out loose to see what your eyes think before getting it set.

rossd2

Rough_Rock
OK thanks Yssie. I'm going to try and see the Quest diamond tomorrow in person when it arrives to the store, ask some questions, and see what I think (though my eyes admittedly aren't too sharp!).

And Gypsy, sounds like good news on the return front at JA... Here's my chat exchange on replacing settings:

rossd2: You all have a diamond on hold for me and I was also thinking of getting it mounted in one of your settings. My question is if my girlfriend doesn't like the setting (it's a surprise), what can I do? Is it possible to return the setting without returning the diamond?
JA: We offer a 60 day return policy.
JA: If she did not like the setting but loves the diamond, you can simply return the setting or exchange the setting for a new one.
rossd2: OK. And if within 60 days we find another setting that she likes from another vendor... should we send the new setting to you all to be mounted? And in that case, is it just the $100 setting fee + shipping costs for the non-JA setting?
JA: It would be the $100 setting fee + the shipping cost if you wanted us to set the diamond in the non-James Allen setting.

Thanks very much as always, I'd be lost without PS!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool beans. Sounds like you have a plan of attack! I know she'll love anything you get her. And show her this thread afterward so she can see your hard work!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, if you go to Quest tomorrow and get carried away and buy their stone ;)) , you need to know they also make a Tiffany knife-edge reproduction setting as well. You may want to compare the price and timeline with getting the Vatche setting.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1319067123|3043809 said:
Yep, it's being penalized by the pavilion angle over 41 degrees. True it's AGS, but it's a DQD cert, not a Platinum Light Performance cert.

DQD is just another format of the performance based grading, you can choose either.

Numbers are promising, larger LGF will compensate for the slightly steeper pavilion again.

rossd2

Rough_Rock
Thanks to you all. I'm going to have to read the HCA section on the Knowledge tab again!

Also for the appraisal... Can I ask what you think is the best approach if I am having either JA or Quest do both the diamond and setting on a short timeframe? Should I get an appraisal before and after getting it set? I'll do a thread search but I seem to remember reading some that said it was better to have the loose stone appraised and then checked again after mounting. Seems like it would be more difficult to appraise the diamond as accurately once it's mounted (ex. prongs in the way), but then again I am new to this.

No matter what, I would go to an appraiser within the 30 days Quest provides or 60 days JA provides for returns.

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rossd2|1319085830|3044008 said:
Thanks to you all. I'm going to have to read the HCA section on the Knowledge tab again!

Also for the appraisal... Can I ask what you think is the best approach if I am having either JA or Quest do both the diamond and setting on a short timeframe? Should I get an appraisal before and after getting it set? I'll do a thread search but I seem to remember reading some that said it was better to have the loose stone appraised and then checked again after mounting. Seems like it would be more difficult to appraise the diamond as accurately once it's mounted (ex. prongs in the way), but then again I am new to this.

No matter what, I would go to an appraiser within the 30 days Quest provides or 60 days JA provides for returns.

Thanks!

The jeweler who sets the stone can provide you with an insurance valuation. When dealing with new, certified stones, that is all that I feel is necessary unless one is buying a very high priced item. I have bought several diamonds since coming here and I have always either used the sales receipt or jeweler "appraisal" to insure the items. Just tell them you are not interested in an inflated appraisal because you don't want to overpay for your insurance premium.

rossd2

Rough_Rock
Thanks, diamondseeker. Good to know and that will save me some time!

Also fyi I requested an Idealscope image from Quest (not sure if they do those, but asked for any other documentation available regarding light performance), a clearer AGS report (the inclusion plot was pretty faint, kind of hard to tell), and an inspection of the stone to see if it was eye clean at 6/12 inches and from the side (it's a VS1 so hopefully ok). Trying to take a late lunch and get out there this afternoon. Will keep you all posted, thanks again!

[EDIT - Quest just replied to say they could put it under an H&A scope when I get out there to take a look at the Hearts & Arrows and light performance].

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VS1 is completely safe! I have a VS1 and I love not seeing inclusions even with my 10x loupe! That will be good to see the stone with the H&A viewer. Good luck!

rossd2

Rough_Rock
OK saw the diamond at Quest. I was kind of in a rush because it took me an hour to get there in traffic, and I was supposed to just be on lunch. It was a good experience, Pete is a nice guy and had a lot to offer.

So the diamond. The right side of the AGS report was folded back on the copy I sent through. In person, I saw the full report had the same characteristics as the JA report did. Light performance 0, Proportion factors 0, Finish 0, Polish ideal, Symmetry ideal.

Looking under the H&A scope, the arrows were easy to make out. And then I realized I wasn't too sure what else to be looking for… so dumb not to ask! What should I have been looking for under the scope?

It is a nice diamond with a nice size. It is a clarity grade above the JA stone (the Quest one is VS1), and it was eye clean. I'm not a pro, but I couldn't even see them under the loupe. On the AGS report, there were some sort of near the edge (I think feathers) and maybe one needle or point on the table.

The diamond wasn't throwing light all over the place when I wasn't under the jewelry store lights. Didn't seem like it was sparkling all that much? (Not sure it should be or not… such a rookie).

Should also mention I was offered a break on the Vatché setting (basically the price of the JA one), so the price between the two is now exactly the same.

Please ask questions, give opinions and help me decide! I only have about an hour left!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you will learn that diamonds don't sparkle all the time! It depends on the light source! That diamond sounds fine, really. And the Vatche setting is very high quality. There is something to say for buying locally when the price is right (for future sizing and maintenance), plus I like the VS1. So I'd probably lean toward the one you have seen since you don't have a lot of time to have the other stones sent to you to compare. Seriously, an AGS Ideal cut is faaar better than the e-rings that 98% of other people get!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1319139805|3044349 said:
Well, you will learn that diamonds don't sparkle all the time! It depends on the light source! That diamond sounds fine, really. And the Vatche setting is very high quality. There is something to say for buying locally when the price is right (for future sizing and maintenance), plus I like the VS1. So I'd probably lean toward the one you have seen since you don't have a lot of time to have the other stones sent to you to compare. Seriously, an AGS Ideal cut is faaar better than the e-rings that 98% of other people get!

I agree. Will Quest take back the Vatche if she doesn't like it?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's an interesting question, Gypsy. I don't consider a designer setting as returnable, personally, so I wouldn't blame them if they didn't.

Ross, if you aren't sure she would like the setting, you need to go with a temporary $300 plain four or 6 prong setting, IMO.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1319141119|3044371 said:
That's an interesting question, Gypsy. I don't consider a designer setting as returnable, personally, so I wouldn't blame them if they didn't.

Ross, if you aren't sure she would like the setting, you need to go with a temporary $300 plain four or 6 prong setting, IMO.

I agree. That's why I asked the question. The price is the same but JA will take back their setting. I'm just wondering how far Quest is willing to go with the match.

rossd2

Rough_Rock
Quest said yes they'd take back the setting if my gf doesn't like it. The way the answer was phrased at first, it sounded like they meant it could be replaced for another setting in the store... so I clarified to see if we would have to get another setting from Quest or if they would mount one from somewhere else (yep, still thinking about that Modified Julia, Gypsy!). They seemed not super excited about that but conceded they would (I'd work on getting that in writing).

Anyway I'm going to read through Quest's return policy, check out the fine print, and see if there's anything else that should be holding me back. It's tough to pull the trigger when there are two really great options. Thank you so much for everything. I'll keep checking back in the next little bit for any last minute comments, but in the meantime I really appreciate how much you all have helped me!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Perfect! If you get it in writing I think you are set! I can't wait to see the ring pics (you will post some right?)!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1319143296|3044400 said:
Perfect! If you get it in writing I think you are set! I can't wait to see the ring pics (you will post some right?)!

What she said!

rossd2

Rough_Rock
Got the setting return in writing. Going with Quest. Will be back with pics once ready...

Seriously can't thank you all enough!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
rossd2|1319145708|3044434 said:
Got the setting return in writing. Going with Quest. Will be back with pics once ready...

Seriously can't thank you all enough!

Just post pics and if you can, the proposal story (with hand pics) that's the best thanks for us--- entertainment and a happy ending!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: Can't wait to see it and hear about the proposal!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results