shape
carat
color
clarity

Couple diamonds on hold... what do yall think?

rossd2

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

So I have a couple of diamonds on hold, one that was recommended here and another I found browsing around... Special thanks to Gypsy for finding me an amazing-looking rock that is also under budget (!). Double bonus. I'm going to call GoG tomorrow to follow up and talk it over...

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8672/

Carat Weight: 1.42ct
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
AGS Cut Grade: Ideal
AGS Light Performance: Ideal
Optical Symmetry: Premium
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Fluorescence: None
Lab Report: AGS
Width: 7.20mm
Length: 7.25mm
Depth: 4.45mm
Table Percentage: 55.92%
Depth Percentage: 61.88%
Crown ∠: 35.23°
Crown Depth: 15.58%
Pavilion ∠: 40.76°
Pavilion Depth: 43.01%

HCA: 2.0 (I rounded up or down for the .00 decimal place, so 55.92 was 55.9 and 61.88 was 61.9)

Cost: $13,200

I also saw one a little later tonight when I ventured over to Blue Nile. Downside is they don't have some of the cool pictures like GoG (and I'm not saying one site is better than another, just that I would rather have the most information to consider and the most pictures to ogle). BN's image is just "sample diamond," which is really unfortunate for a rookie like me!

http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-diamond-ring?forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP&track=tab#diamonds_forceStep=DIAMONDS_STEP%7Cbuilder=BYOR%7Cpid=LD02296921

Carat Weight: 1.61ct
Clarity: VS2
Cut Grade: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Lab Report: GIA
Width: 7.50mm
Length: 7.54mm
Depth: 4.65mm
Table Percentage: 56%
Depth Percentage: 61.8%
Crown ∠: 34.5°
Crown Depth: 15%
Pavilion ∠: 41°
Pavilion Depth: 43.0%

HCA: 1.8

Cost: $14,800

#1 looks a little cleaner from the report... a few small feathers around the edge, but I had to zoom and hold up my computer to see them. I can't even see them on the pictures. The report on #2 looks like it shows some small crystals and needles? A couple of which are in the table. But it's also VS2 so would hope it would be ok... Not sure if the images will be very visible, but I attached them to this post.

Anyway wanted to get your thoughts on these, please! I'm planning to go out and see some Hs and 1.4s and 1.6s tomorrow to try and understand if the size difference would be worth the price difference for me. It seems like most of the other variables on these two are similar (H, VS2, HCA score).

Thanks so much for your help... Think I'm starting to zero in on what I'd like. Fortunate time to have a day off and my girlfriend out of the house!

1_3.png 2_1.png

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they both could be nice. There will be a visible size difference. The larger one could be a good value if completely eyeclean, but the price seems low on that stone which makes me wonder. The one from GOG is a nice size, too. You can't judge the clarity from those reports. You really have to see the one from BN or ask their gemologist to view it for you. The one from GOG does look pretty clean from their pictures, but the cert inclusion picture is too faint to even see the markings. I love GOG, though, and recommend them highly.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
Oh make sure you get the pricescope discount the price would be $14,770

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a 1.5+ ct. stone, I would go for the James Allen one over the BN one since it has the AGS Ideal report showing ideal light performance. You are not going to be able to know that kind of info about the BN stone. But you will also have to ask if it is eyelclean even though it looks to be eyeclean from the magnified photo.

rossd2

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I went to see some diamonds at a local store today. Actually the gal was really helpful (I went to a different, non-HoF place).

For color, H was totally ok with me. I couldn't tell it apart from a G when the two were side-by-side. I am a total novice, but I was even having trouble separating the G from the E, and I was tilting my head and moving the tray all over. Occasionally I could see the difference, but I think I just get distracted by all the sparkly.

Anyway one of the Es the woman showed me was a 1.53ct. I think it's a really great size (1.4 was also nice, they didn't have any 1.6s). Farmer Gal had actually recommended a diamond from James Allen today that is also 1.53, so I am not sure if that is a sign or not...

So a couple of things for the 1.53ct diamond Farmer Gal found, which I put on hold (and also talked to a woman at JA who said it was eye clean and she could only really see the inclusions at 30x). Here it is: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1416819.asp

First, the .3 HCA is really drawing me to it. Should I be careful about being too seduced by that score? I mean .3 sounds really great. The other diamonds I've been looking at are closer to 2.

Second, the AGS report says "Additional clouds and surface graining are not shown." What's that about? Is that common?

Anyway appreciate any feedback on this JA stone because I'm really liking it cut-, size-, and price-wise! Thanks again!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
rossd2 said:
Hi all,

I went to see some diamonds at a local store today. Actually the gal was really helpful (I went to a different, non-HoF place).

For color, H was totally ok with me. I couldn't tell it apart from a G when the two were side-by-side. I am a total novice, but I was even having trouble separating the G from the E, and I was tilting my head and moving the tray all over. Occasionally I could see the difference, but I think I just get distracted by all the sparkly.

Anyway one of the Es the woman showed me was a 1.53ct. I think it's a really great size (1.4 was also nice, they didn't have any 1.6s). Farmer Gal had actually recommended a diamond from James Allen today that is also 1.53, so I am not sure if that is a sign or not...

So a couple of things for the 1.53ct diamond Farmer Gal found, which I put on hold (and also talked to a woman at JA who said it was eye clean and she could only really see the inclusions at 30x). Here it is: http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1416819.asp

First, the .3 HCA is really drawing me to it. Should I be careful about being too seduced by that score? I mean .3 sounds really great. The other diamonds I've been looking at are closer to 2.

everything under 2 is equal...0.3 is not better than 1.9

Second, the AGS report says "Additional clouds and surface graining are not shown." What's that about? Is that common?

sometimes comments like this appear on AGS reports...basically there are clouds that are not in the clarity plot, but they are not the grademaking inclusions (since it doesn't say clarity grade based on clouds that are not shown). I would ask JA.

Anyway appreciate any feedback on this JA stone because I'm really liking it cut-, size-, and price-wise! Thanks again!

ask JA to review it and for an idealscope image. they will review 3 diamonds so perhaps try to find 2 other candidates for comparison

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The JA stone looks nice and I'm so glad you went to see the H's in person. They are a great color and a great value.

Here's a question... how are you planning on setting it? If you get a halo or similar... I would go for the 1.4 from GOG as it is less expensive and in a halo it won't make a difference. If you are just getting a plain solitaire and want a big rock on a big band, then the JA stone is going to be a front runner. Can you get an Idealscope of it and post it?

Anything 2.0 and under is equal. One is not better than the other with the HCA.

rossd2

Rough_Rock
Thanks sig47 and Gypsy.

For settings, I was thinking solitaire...

I really like the Vatche U-113 setting, which GOG has: http://www.goodoldgold.com/images/classicjewelry/Vatche/U113/collage.jpg

There is a six-prong at JA that is nice too: http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/diamond-solitaire-rings.html

The Mark Morell solitaire settings on the GOG site look great as well.

I'll look around for some halos too.

Also going to request an Idealscope on the JA diamond. {EDIT - Idealscope requested... Takes 3-4 biz days}

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love a classic solitaire setting! Decide on your stone and then get the setting from that vendor. Then it will come to your ready to insure immediately.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I think if the idealscope checks out I would get the JA stone. It has a great spread on it and it will look gorgeous in a solitaire setting. Also I don't know if you are buying this for someone or yourself, but I would not get a halo unless she specified that she wants one. I love a halo, but I know there are a lot of people that are not fans:)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
farmer gal|1318907651|3042503 said:
I think if the idealscope checks out I would get the JA stone. It has a great spread on it and it will look gorgeous in a solitaire setting. Also I don't know if you are buying this for someone or yourself, but I would not get a halo unless she specified that she wants one. I love a halo, but I know there are a lot of people that are not fans:)

Definitely don't get a halo unless she really wants one. You don't need it at all in the sizes you are looking at.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

rossd2

Rough_Rock
Yeah I prefer the look of the solitaire to the halo. Probably a safer bet too.

Haha yes Gypsy! I don't love the JA solitaire settings either. I checked and they charge a $100 setting fee and a FedEx shipping fee to set someone else's. I'm gonna browse around.

Thanks so much for the insightful comments and helpful ideas!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
rossd2|1318910001|3042533 said:
Yeah I prefer the look of the solitaire to the halo. Probably a safer bet too.

Haha yes Gypsy! I don't love the JA solitaire settings either. I checked and they charge a $100 setting fee and a FedEx shipping fee to set someone else's. I'm gonna browse around.

Thanks so much for the insightful comments and helpful ideas!

Anytime. :wavey:

rossd2

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone

JA was able to turn the Idealscope image around quickly... Appreciate all opinions!

Many thanks

1416819id.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
image looks good...what did JA say about the stone?

rossd2

Rough_Rock
Not sure if this is boilerplate language for when they send the email with the Idealscope image but...

"We've had this diamond inspected by one of our graduate gemologists and they've determined that it has great light performance and faces perfectly eye clean."

The gal I spoke to on the phone the other day said as much herself. Is there more info I should ask for? Definition of eye clean?

rossd2

Rough_Rock
Oh, right, I was going to ask them about the "additional clouds and surface graining not shown"... anything else? Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
rossd2|1318971146|3042933 said:
Oh, right, I was going to ask them about the "additional clouds and surface graining not shown"... anything else? Thanks!

You should be fine. I say go for it. And have a good appraiser look at it. I recommend sending it to Neil Beaty, personally.

rossd2

Rough_Rock
I feel good about the JA diamond: "Eye clean is a term we use to let our customer know that although this piece may have very small inclusions when checked under 20x magnification, the to naked eye, these will not, at all, be visible. On the AGS report, it does state that there are additional clouds and some graining but again, it isn't something that will be visible at all to the unaided eye." So that is great.

Now the setting dilemma... No, wait. At this point I should also mention I am kind of in a hurry. Partially because I didn't realize how much there was to learn, and partially because the friend of a friend held me up for two weeks before discovering PS on my own (and thank you again btw, I can't say it enough). I am trying to propose November 6... Happy to give you the back-story but this is already going to be a long post.

OK, now the setting dilemma... I don't love the JA solitaire settings (no offense and I welcome any real life pics of JA solitaire settings that could change my mind!). Is there more of a sense of security by getting the diamond and setting in one place? I just get worried about any potential headaches down the line -- returns, changes, upgrades - and splitting the elements of the ring between two locations.

Anyway these are kind of my options right now. I am leaning towards #1, but #2 might have some appeal:

1. Get the JA stone and send them the setting I think I like for mounting (the Vatche 6-prong solitaire -- I know, kinda boring). I really need to go see it in person. Quest has it and they're local for me, so I can try that during lunch tomorrow.

2. Go to Quest, who I have read some good things about on here, who has the setting I like, and who also has a stone that is, at a very basic level, similar to the JA one I'm looking at (below). Kind of a bummer that the report isn't immediately available online (I requested it and will post hopefully in the AM), and I bet they don't have all of the helpful pictures that some of the other places on here do. I don't care about the 2 points, but it's a VS1 and same price. Would have to check the light return, fire, eye clean etc. But I could also go see it in person.

http://www.questjewelers.com/index.php?page=diamonds&action=detail&id=30&number=7Q66330254

Shape: Round
Laboratory:AGS
Carat Weight:1.55
Cut:Signature Ideal
Color:H
Clarity:VS1
Polish:Ideal
Symmetry:Ideal
Fluorescence:None

Price:$14,740
Bank Wire Price:$14,520

Anyway I think I am just freaking out. Calm me down and guide me, please! Thank you, amazing PS folks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Quest has a mixed reviews. They've done excellent work and mediocre work. I've talked to them a few times and I would be worried about custom work, but not with what you want. Since what you want is a six prong solitaire and that diamond like it has very nice potential, I'd say give it a shot (with a full return policy if something doesn't appraise out in 30 days). Get it and get it appraised (I know there are some near you) and go from there.

Make sure the diamond checks out though! But as long as it has an AGS0 for light return (check this) then you should be in good shape.

rossd2

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, now I am looking at the Julia setting and liking it more and more. Decisions, decisions! I think it's because I'm under deadline now. The smilie that best describes my situation is probably :errrr:

Also I saw Martin Fuller recommended as an appraiser near me (I'm in DC). Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
rossd2|1318996185|3043230 said:
Gypsy, now I am looking at the Julia setting and liking it more and more. Decisions, decisions! I think it's because I'm under deadline now. The smilie that best describes my situation is probably :errrr:

Also I saw Martin Fuller recommended as an appraiser near me (I'm in DC). Thanks!

Ask JBEG how soon they can get that setting to you. I believe their bench is in NY. I love it and think it shows you put thought into getting her slightly more special than most of the six prongs out there... but didn't go off the reservation. LOL.

rossd2

Rough_Rock
AGS report for the Quest diamond is below... They'll have it in the store tomorrow afternoon to see. It's hard to make out the inclusions on the report.

Carat Weight: 1.556ct
Clarity: VS1
Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Fluorescence: Negligible
Lab Report: AGS
Width: 7.40mm
Length: 7.45mm
Depth: 4.59mm
Table Percentage: 57%
Depth Percentage: 61.9%
Crown ∠: 34.3°
Crown Depth: 14.6%
Pavilion ∠: 41.1°
Pavilion Depth: 43.6%

The HCA came out at 2.5. The JA diamond was .3.

I emailed JBEG and am waiting for a quote/turn time to try and get the JA stone set... Really warming to the Modified Julia setting that Gypsy sent along. Other options are that I could maybe send to JA are the Vatche 6-prong. I also kind of like this Brian Gavin setting: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5540

Does anyone have a JA solitaire setting that they really like? I'm gonna search the forum for some "show me your JA."

Appreciate your all's advice on this Quest diamond or solitaire settings... Thanks!

Quest%201.55%20H%20VS1.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that pavilion angle is causing the problem with the HCA score. We usually try to get 41.0 max. I probably wouldn't buy it, but it does seem to have an AGS0 cert. So we'll see what Stone or Yssie says.

Vatche sets stone in-house. They do not send empty settings to a vendor. They do the prongs really well and you wouldn't want to do it this way. Both WF and GOG sell Vatche if you really want a Vatche solitaire. I believe it took a week to 10 days when my daughter's e-ring was ordered through WF.

Let me look at JA settings a minute and I'll be back. I really think since you are in a hurry your best bet is to get one there.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, it's being penalized by the pavilion angle over 41 degrees. True it's AGS, but it's a DQD cert, not a Platinum Light Performance cert.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't buy the Quest diamond, but you can take the diamond there to be set if you want the Vatche setting. In that case, you will want to secure a jewelry policy through Jeweler's Mutual as soon as you purchase your stone. They will insure a stone during setting if you provide them with the diamond and setting information. You'll have to call them for the specifics. But I would not consider taking a loose diamond anywhere to be set without having it insured, and JM is about the only place I know of that will insure this way. After the first year you can explore other insurance options if you want. But most people here have been pretty pleased with them.

Wait a sec....you posted this one the other day which is a very nice handmade Tiffany repro. For some reason it didn't show up when I looked at the JA solitaires. But I would use this rather than going to Quest if you want a Tiffany repro:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/diamond-solitaire-rings.html?gid=GAN&pid=k244266&pname=VigLink

rossd2

Rough_Rock
Thanks diamondseeker, laila, and gypsy for all of your help.

I think what I'll probably do is get both the diamond and setting from JA that diamondseeker referenced right above. (Do yall feel like the prongs are kind of thick? That's really my only minor gripe I think.) If my gf and I don't like it, then maybe we can return and have it mounted in another setting... Not that I really want to plan on this setting being temporary, but since it's a surprise, I would definitely be open to changing it to another setting that she prefers afterwards.

Gotta run she just got home!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results