shape
carat
color
clarity

Coup Attempt in Turkey

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There has been an attempted coup d'état in Turkey, site of a recent bombing by ISIS at the Ataturk Airport in Istanbul. Turkey has been a key player in the role of ISIS, first aiding and then clamping down on the organization. I am not very knowledgeable about internal Turkish politics, but I welcome comments from those who are. I am wondering if the coup is a reaction to the latest ISIS attacks, both in Istanbul and in Nice. Does anyone care to comment?

"ISTANBUL — The prime minister of Turkey said on Friday night that factions of the military had attempted a coup. It was not immediately clear who was in control of the country, a NATO member, which has been convulsed by military takeovers at least three times over the past half-century.

'Some people illegally undertook an illegal action outside of the chain of command,' Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said in comments broadcast on NTV, a private television channel. 'The government elected by the people remains in charge. This government will only go when the people say so.'

Reuters reported in a short series of bulletins that the military had issued a statement saying it had 'taken over' for 'democratic order' and that 'all existing foreign relations will continue.'

The state-run Anadolu News Agency said hostages had been taken at military headquarters in Ankara, the capital, including the chief of staff.

The whereabouts of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, who has dominated politics in Turkey for many years and has sought to establish a firm control over the military, was not immediately clear."

Link...http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/16/world/europe/military-attempts-coup-in-turkey-prime-minister-says.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

AGBF

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Mu husband and I have been watching this from the beginning this afternoon. Fascinating. Altho I don't know exactly what's going on seeing the citizens swarm the streets and not being shot give some hope that people won't be killed. I just saw that the state tv was able to broadcast, but I need a score sheet at this point.

All in all it's been a rough week: 7 cops shot, two unarmed citizen shot, last nite in Nice, and now this. In addition to all the unrest in the world that has become "acceptable".

Back in the 60s Barry McGuire sang "Eve of Destruction". I think it's just as timely today

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, we now know where the president is. He has surfaced. He was rallying support throughout the coup attempt by whatever primitive means he could. (Many of his means of communication were cut.) It appears (emphasis on appears) at this point that coup is going to fail. However at least 12 people died when the Parliament was bombed. A faction loyal to a rival of President Erdogan, a rival who lives in the United States, is being blamed for the coup (perhaps erroneously). But whether the military would have restored more rights of the people or curtailed them appears to be a question no one is publicly answering. Apparently the military in Turkey, historically, has been a force for moderation and secularism. Some people have suggested that President Erdogan "ruined the country" with his handling of ISIS (first aiding its members get to Syria, then alienating them and causing them to attack). But no one I have read has anything conclusive to say yet.

AGBF

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing this Deb. I was watching this ordeal unfold yesterday wondering what the conclusion was going to be. It might have been a good thing if it had succeeded but it is shrouded in secrecy so who knows for sure. I am interested in hearing what others here think about the Coup attempt and if it had been successful would that have been a move in a positive direction?

Amber, the song "Eve of Destruction" is timeless. Unfortunately. :((

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flights From US Air Base Affected By Coup Attempt

(from "The New York Times") (Italics mine)

"The Turkish authorities on Saturday halted American-led strike missions against the Islamic State that are flying from the Incirlik air base, the first major impact of the coup on the broader allied campaign against the group.

'At this time, Turkish authorities are not permitting aircraft to depart Incirlik,' an American military official said on Saturday morning.

The American official said the United States was seeking an explanation for the decision and other details. The move may reflect a desire by Turkey to control its airspace for a time today, as opposed to any shift on its policy toward ISIS.

Pentagon officials had said late Friday that the unfolding coup had not affected the bombing and surveillance missions from Incirlik, the opening of which to the allies has enabled commanders to accelerate and intensify airstrikes against Islamic State targets in Iraq and Syria. "

AGBF

MrsAkin

Rough_Rock
As I am a Turkish woman living in İstanbul, I think I should write a few things. First and foremost, AGBF thank you for your caring. You always start up these kind of topics. I believe you Are a true world citizen.

Actually the news about a recluse called Fethullah Gülen who is residing in Pennsylvania for a long time being behind this coup is true. It seems unlikely and utopic maybe, I can see that. Basically Fethullah Gülen has been asking people for donations and giving scholarships to smart kids and recruiting them in key positions since The 70's. I was once a student in one of his private high schools and also stayed The organisation's "student houses" during My First year of college. After primary school I attended to an Imam Hatip school which is basically a regular school with additonal Islamic lessons such as reading and reciting the Quran and Arabic. I come from a religious family and had a similar upbringing. Back then, the government had huge oppression over the Muslims as Imam hatip students were not allowed to study anything other than Religion in college, the schools were forced to shut down, female students couldn't go inside the university campuses wearing headscarves, military personnel who were known to be religious were banned from the Turkish army etc... I wanted to be a lawyer so before I started high school, I transfered to one of Gülen's schools. They had seperate schools for boys and girls so it seemed like a better option for the children of religious parents like Me. I stayed there for three years. The teachers were organizing secret weekly gatherings called "sohbet" where they only invited girls whose parents were known to be gülen followers. There was also a system called "sisters " and "brothers" where high schoolers were invited to the "student houses" where college students stayed and study with their elders. These study nights included a "tea time" were the head of the house gave a lecture about religious matters and reading excerpts from Gülen's books and praising him of course. The "sisters" also gave recommendations and directions to unsuspecting girls regarding their college education and their future in the "cemaat" and how important it is to marry within the organisation.

I studied law at college and sometimes attended the weekly gatherings. We were instructed to bring more people into the organisation and they frequently organised things like free boat trips to attract more people. At the end of My education two seperate sisters wanted to Meet up with Me. One of them wanted to talk about marriage, the other one about My career. People in the organisation have arranged marriages. They literally have portfolios containing a picture and information of the candidates. The Sister asked for a picture of Me and told Me that as I am highly attractive, the people in the organisation wanted to fix Me up with some sports player. All they asked of me was getting rid of the headscarf as a successful sportsman in the public eye would feel much more comfortable with a non-religious looking wife and maybe as a family we could attract more people to the organisation. I felt disgusted. The other sister "advised" Me to take the judgeship exams as the organisation had a huge void to fill in the legal area. By the way, there was no way of being a headscarf wearing judge as the High Council of Judges and Prosecutors didnt allow it. It was considered an unethical way of dressing. So the organisation basically offered Me to live a double life, hide My true beliefs and work in favor of them. When I declined the sister accused Me of not being loyal. That was the end of My involvement with them.

I refused to obey the nonsense but most of My friends hadn't. I had lots of friends who cut Me off completely. The organisation is extremely secretive. And they spread this air of paranoia between their followers. They believed their phone conversations were being recorded and using certain words on the phone was not allowed. Followers were given permission from gülen to have alcohol in the public to blend in with their peers. Followers were told they were not sinning because it was for the greater good. And they have followers everywhere in the world. They opened private schools worldwide and sent teachers from Turkey All over the world. They have followers in high positions in the military, police force, legal system. They can arrest people in the blink of an eye. This is not their first attempt to bring Erdoğan down. 2,5 years ago They had another failed attempt.

For My nation this is not about Erdoğan or ISIS. This is about our independence. Love him or hate him, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan gave This nation hope. That's why people still support him and flocked to the streets all over the country on his command. He is the reason for the First time the ordinary people bravely walked towards the so called soldiers and climbed over the tanks without fear. The cowards opened fire from a helicopter, how is that fair? 161 people died and more than a thousand have been injured.

I feel like some people wish the coup was successful. Last night I saw things that I couldn't even imagine. I saw the Turkish soldiers who were supposed to protect us civilians open fire and kill people. I saw military tanks purposefully ran over civilians. I saw our parliament building being bombarded. I heard open fire, jets flying over our houses. I had to console My kids who woke up from their innocent dreams crying for Me. I prayed for My husband to return Home safely. The national Tv was invaded and the newswoman was forced to read a script on gunpoint. This is terror right beneath our noses. How would you feel if these happened to you? Are you hoping for My country to turn to Syria, Egypt or Iraq? Will you be happier if Turkish kids would drown and end up on the shore? We Are made of fresh and blood just like you are.. We Are human beings for God's sake!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsAkin, I cannot tell you how happy I am to learn that you are still reading Pricescope. I have not seen you post to The Gold Thread recently, and I didn't dare to hope that you were still reading. Naturally I thought of you immediately when I read about the attempted coup d'état (as I do whenever I read of major upheavals in Istanbul). It is great to be able to get your educated, insider view of the events in Turkey. I have been reading everything within reach, but what is within reach is not nearly as informative as you are! Thank you so much for posting. I am sorry that your country continues to undergo such chaos.

Hugs,
Deb
(AGBF)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsAkin, I am so sorry about what you and your family and country are going through. Hoping for peace and calm to come your way.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Mrs. Akin, thank you for your thoughtful and informative post.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
MrsAkin
I think yours is perhaps one of the most important posts that has ever been posted on this forum. As a witness to a potential coup, you have given us all a glimpse into history. You've also taught us about the indoctrination of youth from an early age and the use of religion as a tool to gain power. Thank you.

Which brings me to a question that I have always wanted to ask someone in a country such as yours; how will you change your government if it is not a coup or some other form of horror? I believe every country that does not have some form of democracy or voting, has no way to peacefully change those in power. And history proves that there will always be a need to change those in power.

I am not an enthusiastic, patriotic, grab-the-flag American, rather just someone who likes the practicality of voting, which tends to reduce bloodshed. Is there any chance Turkey will someday see the simple usefulness of democracy?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1468789856|4056444 said:
MrsAkin
I think yours is perhaps one of the most important posts that has ever been posted on this forum. As a witness to a potential coup, you have given us all a glimpse into history. You've also taught us about the indoctrination of youth from an early age and the use of religion as a tool to gain power. Thank you.

Which brings me to a question that I have always wanted to ask someone in a country such as yours; how will you change your government if it is not a coup or some other form of horror? I believe every country that does not have some form of democracy or voting, has no way to peacefully change those in power. And history proves that there will always be a need to change those in power.

I am not an enthusiastic, patriotic, grab-the-flag American, rather just someone who likes the practicality of voting, which tends to reduce bloodshed. Is there any chance Turkey will someday see the simple usefulness of democracy?

As I said above, iLander, I am no expert on Turkey, but I believe that they are attempting democracy right now. President Erdogan was elected by the Turkish people, and that is why it was painful to so many of them to see the military attempt to remove him against the will of the people by brute force. And, as both President Erdogan said in his address and MrsAkin said here, they turned their guns against the very people who gave them their guns and their power: the Turkish people. I am not always a fan of President Erdogan. He has been quite authoritarian at times. But I was very moved by his speech after the coup. Maybe I can find it on YouTube.

AGBF

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results